What a cool way to fix a puncture!

Old July 20th 04, 05:35 PM
Graeme

Default What a cool way to fix a puncture!

"hippy" wrote in news:cdimlc$bea$1
@otis.netspace.net.au:

http://www.bluecollarmtb.com/how_to/fix_flat.htm

I've not used that method but I have used one from (I think) William
Nealy's "Mountain Bike" where you put a small stick/twig over the hold
lengthways and then use it to twist the tube (like winding up a rubber band
powered plane). Then stick the twisted tube and the stick back into the
tyre and pump up gently. It ended up as a little bit of a bumpy ride, but
at least it got one of the other guys home. Everyone was very impressed,
but I couldn't take credit for the idea unfortunately.

Graeme
Old July 20th 04, 11:27 PM
Richard Sherratt

On Wed, 21 Jul 2004 01:11:06 +1000, "DRS"
wrote:

"Richard Sherratt" wrote
in message

snip

Two tubes, one repair kit, instant patches, two compressed air
bottles, one compressed air valve thingy, one schraeder to presta
adaptor, one mobile phone.

Are you going for a ride or going to war?

I work on the basis that if I take it with me, I won't need it. It
usually works :-)

--
Regards.
Richard.
Old July 21st 04, 04:07 AM
BCL

On Tue, 20 Jul 2004 10:41:12 GMT, Richard Sherratt
wrote:

On Tue, 20 Jul 2004 19:12:07 +0930, "GDS" wrote:

http://www.bluecollarmtb.com/how_to/fix_flat.htm

Two tubes, one repair kit, instant patches, two compressed air
bottles, one compressed air valve thingy, one schraeder to presta
adaptor, one mobile phone.

Bloody hell, talk about belt and braces!

I have seen the grass trick before in the bush it works on a car so I
suppose there is no reason why it shouldn't work on a bike.

I carry a spare tube and a puncture kit but since I started to use
tyre liners I have only had one puncture in 10 years. That puncture
was caused by a small piece of glass which had obviously spent a long
time cutting its way through the tyre, the liner and eventually into
the tube. If I had been the slightest bit vigilant about checking my
tyres occasionally I would have probably found it before the puncture.

Unfortuantely I learned nothing from that and still don't inspect my
tyres.

Regards
Bruce

http://www.bcl.id.au
Old July 21st 04, 05:28 AM
Mike

hippy wrote:
http://www.bluecollarmtb.com/how_to/fix_flat.htm

There was a TV show with some bush Abbo's doing this with a car:

http://www.abc.net.au/tv/documentari...es/s359476.htm
Old July 21st 04, 08:36 AM
GDS

I've not used that method but I have used one from (I think) William
Nealy's "Mountain Bike" where you put a small stick/twig over the hold
lengthways and then use it to twist the tube (like winding up a rubber band
powered plane). Then stick the twisted tube and the stick back into the
tyre and pump up gently.

I've never heard of that! Cool.

G.

Old July 21st 04, 03:29 PM
Peter Signorini

"Graeme" wrote in message
.51...
"hippy" wrote in news:cdimlc$bea$1
@otis.netspace.net.au:

http://www.bluecollarmtb.com/how_to/fix_flat.htm

I've not used that method but I have used one from (I think) William
Nealy's "Mountain Bike" where you put a small stick/twig over the hold
lengthways and then use it to twist the tube (like winding up a rubber

band
powered plane). Then stick the twisted tube and the stick back into the
tyre and pump up gently.

Or a variation on this - tie a tight knot in your tube at the location of
the hole, then refit and inflate. Nevr tried it but allegedly works.

Cheers
Peter

Old July 22nd 04, 09:52 AM
Tom Nicholson

"hippy" wrote in message ...
http://www.bluecollarmtb.com/how_to/fix_flat.htm

Sorry hippy this just doesn't work. Its a real urban bike myth.

Perhaps it did on nice big puffy balloon tyres in the 1920's that only
needed 20psi to stay on or so, but its damn near impossible to stuff a
normal tyre so that it will stay on the rim. Trust me I've tried.

I stuffed and I stuffed and I still buggered the tyre...

I even stuffed, rode to compress, then stuffed, rode to compress, ect
on and on... No joy.

Failsafe way if you really _must_ ride home is take the bloody thing
off and roll on the rim.. Ruins the rim and is almost as useless as
the grass stuffing ********.

Tom
Old July 22nd 04, 11:55 AM
Marty Wallace

"Tom Nicholson" wrote in message
m...
"hippy" wrote in message

http://www.bluecollarmtb.com/how_to/fix_flat.htm

Sorry hippy this just doesn't work. Its a real urban bike myth.

Perhaps it did on nice big puffy balloon tyres in the 1920's that only
needed 20psi to stay on or so, but its damn near impossible to stuff a
normal tyre so that it will stay on the rim. Trust me I've tried.

I stuffed and I stuffed and I still buggered the tyre...

I even stuffed, rode to compress, then stuffed, rode to compress, ect
on and on... No joy.

Failsafe way if you really _must_ ride home is take the bloody thing
off and roll on the rim.. Ruins the rim and is almost as useless as
the grass stuffing ********.

Tom

I've heard the same thing from other sources. It sounds good in theory but
it doesn't work.
Always carry spares.

Marty

Puncture resistant tyres Julian UK 16 March 13th 04 11:19 AM
Explosive puncture Sky Fly UK 9 November 17th 03 07:24 PM
Latex tubes , Hold air longer and puncture resistant??? Robert Box Techniques 20 September 24th 03 04:05 PM