Thou shalt not mix bikes, pedestrians and dogs

Old September 10th 11, 05:22 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
His Highness the TibetanMonkey, the Beach Cruiser Philosopher

Default Thou shalt not mix bikes, pedestrians and dogs

This happens all the time where we --the assumed bad guys-- threaten
kids and old folks alike with our bikes. But the designers themselves
must be held accountable and liable for any accident that their stupid
design causes. We should NOT be on the sidewalk in the first place,
but sometimes they build these funny MIXED PATHS on purpose. Dogs on
the other hand are a real nuisance, particularly when their owners
don't pick up their crap. Should animals be on pavement in the first
place? I think there are too many dogs out there, and people should
try mice instead.

Suppose I wanted to ride a donkey as Jesus did, where would I go? Can
I ride it on the road as cops ride their horses? It seems perfectly
legal. I want to ride one with a sign that goes, "KISS MY ASS!" It
seems the only way left for me in a place where bicycles are not
welcomed on the road --or anywhere else.

***

This is my latest encounter with stupidity:

Before I forget this incident on the beach path at 65th ST, let me
tell of this near collision that I predicted before. I was squeezing
with my bike between dog and child and the old man holding the dog put
his leg in front to push me away... toward the child. I shouted, "I'm
taking care of the child, not the dog!" And he replied, "You better
take care of the dog too." I didn't threaten the dog, but I've been in
other near misses with dogs on long leashes. It's a matter of time
before a child or dog gets hurt, and then we are going to need the
lawyer. Oh well, there are plenty of lawyers in this town.

WHATEVER HAPPENED TO GOOD OLD FASHIONED PREVENTION?

Bottom line is you can't mix different species in the jungle.

Old September 11th 11, 04:40 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
His Highness the TibetanMonkey, the Beach Cruiser Philosopher

Life in the jungle...

(not too far from where I live)

SUNNY ISLES (CBS4) – It was just a trip 10 houses down the street on
his bike, but that trip ended with a world of pain for 6 year-old
Jacob Shaked. A car slammed into the boy Friday, crushing his bike
like it did his body, and the person responsible just drove away.

(even though it's a gated community)

The Sunny Isles neighborhood where this happened is a gated community,
with a low speed limit to protect kids just like Jacob. However, some
complain the drivers ignore those speed limits, putting kids at risk.

http://miami.cbslocal.com/2011/09/10...begs-for-help/

***

Imagine if it wasn't a gated community. There are no solutions...

Actually there's one: SPEED CAMERAS. But people don't want them
because... bla, bla, bla.

Thou Shalt Be Good to Bicyclists! Wayne Pein General 1 June 22nd 07 07:38 AM
Most Dangerous: Cars, Dogs, Kids on Wheels, Other Bikers, Pedestrians? Ziactrice General 16 April 22nd 06 02:48 PM
Thou Shalt Not Steal cfsmtb Australia 8 January 17th 06 03:32 AM
Thou Shalt Not Steal warrwych Australia 0 January 17th 06 01:42 AM
Dogs on bikes Colin Blackburn UK 8 June 24th 05 12:31 PM