Should be Rear Touring Wheel ...

Old August 16th 06, 09:22 PM posted to rec.bicycles.rides
Thomas Wentworth

Default Should be Rear Touring Wheel ...

I can figure out the tire part. I use Continental Top Touring ..

It is the Wheel that I am interested in replacing before I go on a long
adventure.

Old August 17th 06, 03:52 AM posted to rec.bicycles.rides
Ken Roberts

If you are really worried about this there are wheels intended for tandems
which have more spokes than are customary for single bikes.

Ken

Old August 17th 06, 04:08 AM posted to rec.bicycles.rides
Mike Vermeulen

It is the Wheel that I am interested in replacing before I go on a long
adventure.

It depends a little on your weight and other factors.

In 1997, I crossed Canada on a Cannondale T1000 touring bike. I started
with a reasonable 36-spoke rim. Unfortunately, three times in that 6000+
mile trip, I cracked the rims.

After that trip, I replaced my rear wheel with a 48-spoke tandem wheel
with a good hub. That is the wheel I started with in 2001 on a
12-month tour across the USA followed by riding around Australia. After
~10,000 miles plus the 48-spoke rim started having small cracks around the
eyelets. I replaced it with another 48-spoke rim.

Since then I've done a bunch more touring and 48-spoke rims have held up
well. If the hub/rim actually goes - then it is more obnoxious to get
replacement.

In 2003, I bought a recumbent bike and put on Aerospoke wheels. I've
ridden a little over 10,000 miles on the recumbent since then and the
wheels are still holding up well.

For a transcontinental USA trip, I suspect most wheels (36-spoke,
48-spoke, Aerospoke) would work ok and you would likely have some warning
if the wheel starts to go. However, if you want something bombproof I've
had fairly good experience with 48-spoke tandem wheels.

--mev, Mike Vermeulen
p.s. My bike trips: http://www.fietstocht.com

Old August 18th 06, 08:19 AM posted to rec.bicycles.rides

I do a lot of bike touring and am about 200lb. I've always had problems
with 700c wheels when touring, breaking the odd spoke etc. I know all
about wheels, building my own and having read Jobst Brandt's the
Bicycle wheel.

The solution?

NOT 700c.

I've had no problems with strong-rimmed strong-spoked ATB size wheels,
even 32 hole when touring, nor with 20 inch 406 wheels.

My advice. Buy a cheapis MTB, get good strong spokes, and road tyres. I
find the slick Specialized Fatboys the best.