Why does it cost more to rent a bike than a car?

Old June 16th 07, 08:04 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Matt O'Toole

Default Why does it cost more to rent a bike than a car?

I've been thinking about this, since I'm about to be traveling for almost
3 months, without my own bike:

http://washcycle.typepad.com/home/20...es_is_cos.html

Seems absurd, doesn't it?

Matt O.

Old June 17th 07, 04:03 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Luigi de Guzman

On Sat, 16 Jun 2007 15:04:25 -0400, Matt O'Toole wrote:

I've been thinking about this, since I'm about to be traveling for almost
3 months, without my own bike:

http://washcycle.typepad.com/home/20...es_is_cos.html

Seems absurd, doesn't it?

Matt O.

Probably because you're paying for the convenience of leaving the bike
behind? I seem to recall a rake once realizing that he hadn't paid the
hooker to go to bed with him--he had paid her to *leave*; the price was
about consummating the act without any of the nasty social/personal
obligations.

So it is with rented bikes, eh?

-Luigi

http://ouij.livejournal.com
Old June 17th 07, 08:39 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Mike Jacoubowsky

I've been thinking about this, since I'm about to be traveling for almost
3 months, without my own bike:

http://washcycle.typepad.com/home/20...es_is_cos.html

Seems absurd, doesn't it?

Matt O.

Inefficiency, pure & simple. Rental cars live their life on the road;
utilization is very high. Plus, cars are insured (by everyone down the line
on a rental) while bikes are not. Add the fact that used bikes get a much
lower fraction of their cost returned than used cars. Then look at how many
different sizes are needed for a bike rental fleet. It starts to get ugly
fast. And finally, there's that "treat it like a rental" mentality. Cars
command more respect from their users than bikes do. Basically, a lot of
people just don't take bikes (and the damage they might do to one)
seriously, while they know full well that even a minor fender ding is going
to cost them several hundred dollars.

But pretty much all of that was covered in the article you referenced.

--Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

Old June 17th 07, 09:07 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Kenny

On Jun 17, 3:04 am, Matt O'Toole wrote:
I've been thinking about this, since I'm about to be traveling for almost
3 months, without my own bike:

http://washcycle.typepad.com/home/20...es_is_cos.html

Seems absurd, doesn't it?

Matt O.

Damn right it's absurd. If the Dutch can do it why can't Americans?
http://www.holland.com/global/geninf.../bikerent.html

Old June 17th 07, 12:42 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Luigi de Guzman

On Sun, 17 Jun 2007 01:07:05 -0700, Kenny wrote:

On Jun 17, 3:04 am, Matt O'Toole wrote:
I've been thinking about this, since I'm about to be traveling for almost
3 months, without my own bike:

http://washcycle.typepad.com/home/20...es_is_cos.html

Seems absurd, doesn't it?

Matt O.

Damn right it's absurd. If the Dutch can do it why can't Americans?
http://www.holland.com/global/geninf.../bikerent.html

Probably because Americans don't ride bicycles as a rule, or, if they do,
treat them as toys rather than means of transport.

-Luigi
Old June 17th 07, 02:26 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Fred

Mike Jacoubowsky wrote:
[...]

Good points all.

Could rental outlets simplify things by using folding bikes? My father
had a Raleigh Twenty for more than 20 years (maybe they should have
called it a Thirty?) while I was growing up. With a highly adjustable
seat and handlebars, I was able to ride it as I was growing.

Rental outlets might still need a variety of bikes, but a highly
adjustable folder might reduce the required scope of variety.
Old June 17th 07, 09:23 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
David L. Johnson

Matt O'Toole wrote:
I've been thinking about this, since I'm about to be traveling for almost
3 months, without my own bike:

http://washcycle.typepad.com/home/20...es_is_cos.html

Well, from that perspective, there are a lot of rental things that we
should be upset about. I recently rented a floor sander, and it cost
more than a car rental, also; plus is was considerably less fun.

There are 20 companies in my general area that rent cars, and they rent
a lot of them. Market forces apply to keep prices low and volume up.
But there is maybe one place to rent a bike, and you'd be lucky to be
able to rent a road bike anywhere. Maybe there is too little market,
since bikes are more easily portable than cars (on, say, planes).

--

David L. Johnson

It is probable that television drama of high caliber and produced by
first-rate artists will materially raise the level of dramatic taste
in the nation.
-- David Sarnoff, 1939
Old June 20th 07, 10:01 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Dane Buson

fred wrote:
Mike Jacoubowsky wrote:

[...]

It would help, but there would still be a fairly low utilization rate...
in the US. Other places seem to do better. Lyons and Paris are using
step through frames in their rental bike schemes. Given a decent
design, they will accomodate a good range of riders.

Rental outlets might still need a variety of bikes, but a highly
adjustable folder might reduce the required scope of variety.

Well, it doesn't really need to fold does it? Just 26" or less sized
wheels, a good adjustable seapost, and maybe an adjustable stem.

--
Dane Buson -
When in doubt, do it. It's much easier to apologize than to get permission.