What small car fits a 55 cm bike in the back easily

Old November 9th 07, 04:56 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Patrick Keogh

Default What small car fits a 55 cm bike in the back easily

tim wrote:
On Nov 8, 9:41 am, wrote:

snip

Small cars are much bigger inside than you would think.

tim

Tim, that's great! Now you've told me that I know they are bigger.
But then I read your message again and so now I know they are even
bigger. I think I'll read it over and over again. That way my Golf
will carry four bikes, all the luggage and three passengers!

This will save me a fortune! :-)
Old November 9th 07, 11:03 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Rex

Barina has a very poor safety rating since Holden went for a Korean model
built by Daewoo.

"Bleve" wrote in message
oups.com...
On Nov 8, 9:41 am, wrote:
I am looking to get a new small 5 door car under $20,000
What small car fits a 55 cm bike in the back easily, only having to
take the front wheel off?
yaris,
jazz
fiesta
getz
swift
mazda2

2 56cm roadies fit in the back of a barina without drama.

Old November 9th 07, 11:08 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Rex

I'm interested in how the new Skoda Roomster would go.

Looks tall at the back. Apparently there are some bike mounts available for
the luggage area.

And the back seats can be tilted, moved forward, back, sideways or even
removed completely. Also has a 5 star safety rating

ps.com...

Old November 9th 07, 08:18 PM posted to aus.bicycle
NickP

My wife's bike fits upright in the back of our 5-door Echo with the front
wheel off and the car rear seat folded down and forward. However, that
layout prevents the front seats from going as far back as normally, so she
has to drive as well.

Nick

ps.com...

Old November 10th 07, 05:03 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Donga

On Nov 9, 8:52 am, tim wrote:
On Nov 8, 9:41 am, wrote:

I am looking to get a new small 5 door car under $20,000
What small car fits a 55 cm bike in the back easily, only having to
take the front wheel off?

I've heard of a couple of teams (in the US) who routinely carry a
TANDEM inside a Honda Jazz (or Fit in their market).

Split-fold the rear seat, tilt and push the front passenger seat as
far forward as it will go, and apparently a tandem can be fed in. Both
wheels off, I assume. The passenger has to sit behind the driver (of
course there are two people in the car... it wouldn't make much sense
to carry a tandem if there's only you).

I've never been or even looked inside one, but the Jazz has a
reputation for having extraordinary amounts of room in it for the size
of car it is. I'd be very surprised if it didn't have room for a
single roadie.

Years ago, Mazda used to market the 121 Metro as being able to stand
two fully assembled mountain bikes diagonally in the back (with the
seat down). I always assumed they were midget sized bikes, but there
was a picture on the brochure to verify it.

I used to fit my mountain bike with the rear wheel on in the back of
my '89 Daihatsu Charade. Or I could drop both wheels, and carry the
bike in the back seat.

Small cars are much bigger inside than you would think.

tim

I fit three large boys and their bags and instruments inside a Honda
Jazz, plus a bike on a towbar rack on the back, then ride to work from
their school. Other people require an SUV for the same job and use
double of everything else too. Mate, that makes me **** hot, and the
others ******s. But we're not as good as those whose kids ride their
bikes to school, but I've not seen one of those. Oh, and yes the Jazz
is cleverly done inside.

Donga

Old November 12th 07, 07:16 AM posted to aus.bicycle
cfsmtb[_497_]

Donga Wrote:

I fit three large boys and their bags and instruments inside a Honda
Jazz, plus a bike on a towbar rack on the back, then ride to work from
their school. Other people require an SUV for the same job and use
double of everything else too. Mate, that makes me **** hot, and the
others ******s. But we're not as good as those whose kids ride their
bikes to school, but I've not seen one of those. Oh, and yes the Jazz
is cleverly done inside.

Read Bike Snobs latest instalment about niche cycling publications?

"Putting All Your Fabergé Eggs In One Basket": How many Colnagos can
you fit in a BMW X5?"

--
cfsmtb

Old November 12th 07, 09:17 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Donga

On Nov 12, 5:16 pm, cfsmtb cfsmtb.2zx...@no-
mx.forums.cyclingforums.com wrote:
Donga Wrote:

I fit three large boys and their bags and instruments inside a Honda
Jazz, plus a bike on a towbar rack on the back, then ride to work from
their school. Other people require an SUV for the same job and use
double of everything else too. Mate, that makes me **** hot, and the
others ******s. But we're not as good as those whose kids ride their
bikes to school, but I've not seen one of those. Oh, and yes the Jazz
is cleverly done inside.

Read Bike Snobs latest instalment about niche cycling publications?

"Putting All Your Fabergé Eggs In One Basket": How many Colnagos can
you fit in a BMW X5?"

--
cfsmtb

Yes, BSNYC is always good for a laugh. One thing I've noticed about
cyclists' X5s - the bikes are often on top. Now I reckon people who
carry bikes on top of cars are like riders who have never fallen -
haven't been at it long enough to drive under the carport.

Old November 12th 07, 09:45 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Patrick Keogh

Donga Wrote:

[...]

Donga,

Nope. I'm a short arse and I transport bikes on top of my X-trail. Which
means I need one or more milk crates to use as a step. I have been
carrying my bikes on top of the car for years, with literally thousands
of kilometers of journeys and my experiences so far a

- Someone else did drive into the garage door once. Very slight damage
to car, none to rack or garage, had to get new forks for the bike. That
was about ten years ago.
- Hit one low flying tree somewhere out past Brindabella one day.
Knocked the bike half off and bent a fork tip.

Since then (about eight years ago) it has been both-wheels-on Thule
carriers, sometimes up to five bikes on top and not one accident.

On the other hand you can stop at a shop, even go for a beer with little
concern that someone will nick your seat or computer or whatever.
Everything is locked on and out of reach for most folks.

Out in the bush it might seem inconvenient to have to worry about the
extra clearance but I have seen too many bikes knocked around by flying
stones etc. when mounted on the back. I won't carry bikes on my Golf,
instead I purchased one of the bike bags from Ground Effect and the bike
can go inside the car no problem in the bag, with plenty of room for
luggage. There are some advantages to being short!
Old November 13th 07, 12:18 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Donga

Donga Wrote:

[...]

All in all, goes to show, the best place for a bike is between your
legs!

Old November 13th 07, 06:55 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Patrick Keogh

Donga Wrote:
[...]

Can't disagree with that!

Finding a bike that fits. Rolando UK 125 September 30th 06 08:28 PM
Bike rack that fits with disk brakes Blue Frog UK 8 August 23rd 06 05:00 PM
FS Small Road Bike- Terry Prism, 17 ½ " , 45 cm frame, fits 4'8- 5'0 +/- GlenB Marketplace 0 February 1st 05 06:04 PM
Healthy cycling begins with a bike that fits Garrison L. Hilliard Techniques 0 August 16th 04 05:00 PM
Bike Fits - Elite Cyclists Only? McBain_v1 UK 5 March 3rd 04 01:35 PM