SPD Agony!

Old May 7th 08, 03:48 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling,rec.bicycles.misc,alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
Tom Sherman[_2_]

Default SPD Agony!

Mark T wrote:
Artemisia writtificated

Is this normal? Is it something "you just get used to"?

Sounds like the shoes are too small. I would divert to the nearest bike
shop that stocks shoes and buy another pair.

Many people have to go a size up to get a shoe that fits, so it is
essential you try them on before buying.

When wearing the shoes they should not be tight and the toes should not
touch the front of the shoe. I always get shoes where I can wiggle my toes
a little.[...]

Too tight shoes are even more of a problem on a recumbent with the
bottom bracket at or above seat level. I have a pair of Shimano ATB
shoes which are a little narrow. These shoes are fine on the ATB and the
low bottom bracket recumbent, but cause pain and a burning feeling when
used on a higher bottom bracket recumbent.

One alternative to clipless pedals are heel slings, but I am not aware
of these being commercially available at this time - please post links
if available.

Old May 7th 08, 06:30 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling,rec.bicycles.misc,alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
Edward Dolan

"Tom Sherman" wrote in message
Mark T wrote:
Artemisia writtificated

Is this normal? Is it something "you just get used to"?

Sounds like the shoes are too small. I would divert to the nearest bike
shop that stocks shoes and buy another pair.

Many people have to go a size up to get a shoe that fits, so it is
essential you try them on before buying.

When wearing the shoes they should not be tight and the toes should not
touch the front of the shoe. I always get shoes where I can wiggle my
toes a little.[...]

Too tight shoes are even more of a problem on a recumbent with the bottom
bracket at or above seat level. I have a pair of Shimano ATB shoes which
are a little narrow. These shoes are fine on the ATB and the low bottom
bracket recumbent, but cause pain and a burning feeling when used on a
higher bottom bracket recumbent.

What a laugh the above statement is. High bottom brackets recumbents will
cause many problems because we are not evolved to have our feet over our
hips. But Mr. Sherman has spent many thousands of dollars on high bottom
bracket recumbent bikes, and so he is bound to defend such monstrosities.

For heaven's sakes, you do not want a recumbent with a bottom bracket higher
than the seat base. This is so elementary that I am sick and tired of
explaining it to idiots like Tom Sherman. Get that bottom bracket slightly
below the seat base and everything will be just fine. All this palaver about
shoe fit is nonsense once you get your feet below your hips.

Regards,

Ed Dolan the Great - Minnesota
aka

Old May 9th 08, 04:26 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,rec.bicycles.misc,alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
Weatherlawyer

Mark T wrote:
Artemisia writtificated

Is this normal? Is it something "you just get used to"?

Sounds like the shoes are too small. I would divert to the nearest bike
shop that stocks shoes and buy another pair.

Many people have to go a size up to get a shoe that fits, so it is
essential you try them on before buying.

When wearing the shoes they should not be tight and the toes should not
touch the front of the shoe. I always get shoes where I can wiggle my
toes a little.[...]

Too tight shoes are even more of a problem on a recumbent with the bottom
bracket at or above seat level. I have a pair of Shimano ATB shoes which
are a little narrow. These shoes are fine on the ATB and the low bottom
bracket recumbent, but cause pain and a burning feeling when used on a
higher bottom bracket recumbent.

What a laugh the above statement is.

What an outright pillock.

Do you sleep standing up?
Old May 9th 08, 05:36 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,rec.bicycles.misc,alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
Edward Dolan

Mark T wrote:
[...]

Tom Sherman is a well regarded idiot on this newsgroup (ARBR). You have
quite a ways to go before you can join him, but keep trying. Who knows, you
might get lucky!

SPD Agony! Artemisia[_2_] General 55 May 14th 08 06:46 AM
Sweet agony of choice - best all-around bike for under a grand? Bryanska General 67 October 12th 04 02:23 AM
The agony of decision... Dave Stallard General 23 October 24th 03 03:42 PM