Montreal to NYC

Old March 20th 05, 06:53 PM
Roman

Default Montreal to NYC

Hi,
I live in NYC and I would like to ride from Montreal down Champlain
Valley/Hudson Valley to NYC. What is the best way to get to Montreal with
a bicycle? air/train/bus? Better to send the bicycle to a bikeshop in
Montreal ahead of time? Also any travellogues links you know about this
trip. Thanks a lot in advance to all.
Old March 21st 05, 03:45 AM
Ken Roberts

There's been several ideas and reports for this on the NYC.bicycles Usenet
group. You can search the archives by going to
http://groups.google.com
and entering this search:
Montreal group:nyc.bicycles

There's some more ideas and reports on the Bike Hudson Valley website.
for between New York and Albany:
http://roberts-1.com/bikehudson/r/nyc_albany
between Albany and Glens Falls and Lake George:
http://roberts-1.com/bikehudson/v/no.../river/reports

Ken

Old March 21st 05, 04:48 AM
William Holiday

On Sun, 20 Mar 2005 18:53:09 GMT, Roman wrote:

Hi,
I live in NYC and I would like to ride from Montreal down Champlain
Valley/Hudson Valley to NYC. What is the best way to get to Montreal with
a bicycle? air/train/bus? Better to send the bicycle to a bikeshop in
Montreal ahead of time? Also any travellogues links you know about this
trip. Thanks a lot in advance to all.

This may help
http://home.att.net/~gasiorcj/montrealrideback.html
Old March 31st 05, 05:54 AM
TrailBarge

I don't know much about getting a bike up there, but a corrollary is how
you're getting back (riding, I suppose?)

There is a 1200K brevet ride known as BMB (Boston - Montreal - Boston).
These fools (err--- "excellently prepared athletes" - ahem) ride the whole
thing in 90 hours or less. They have a website with a posted routemap and
elevation profile. They might help in route preparation.

http://www.geocities.com/b-m-b/

Bon route!
TrailBarge

Old March 31st 05, 06:26 AM
RicodJour

TrailBarge wrote:
I don't know much about getting a bike up there, but a corrollary is

how
you're getting back (riding, I suppose?)

There is a 1200K brevet ride known as BMB (Boston - Montreal -

Boston).
These fools (err--- "excellently prepared athletes" - ahem) ride the

whole
thing in 90 hours or less. They have a website with a posted

routemap and
elevation profile. They might help in route preparation.

http://www.geocities.com/b-m-b/

Bon route!
TrailBarge

Wait a minute! I just looked at their route map and it goes to
Huntingdon, not Montreal! Something's fishy there. I bet they're
actually smuggling across the border and riding 900 miles just to throw
the cops off the scent. Now what can you fit in a saddle bag to make
it worth it....?

Old April 1st 05, 05:59 AM
Ken Pisichko

What C.R.A.P. you speak of!!

Have you EVER been to Hunting(let me leave the correct spelling to YOU)?
That small town is not very far from Montreal (or even TMR). As for hiding
things in your saddle bag.... let the Canadian and US Border-control folks
take care of that.

BTW, have you EVER had your body orifices "inspected" at a Canadian Customs
"checkpoint"? I'll bet that IF you have, it is an experience you will
rather forget about, AND NEVER mention to anyone. FACT! They are thorough!!
(But gentle). ;-)

Don't EVER forget the basic FACT that Canadian and United States border
control officials ARE SWORN to maintain each country's legislation as far
as controlling "access" into the country is concerned. The continuation of
their job depends on their actions regarding maintenance/enforcement of
their country's legislation.

Wanna play and "have fun"??? Go ahead - BUT(T???) be prepared to get
"checked out". Have NO FEAR - both sides of the border are staffed by
competent professionals. Remember that basic fact. No bozos man the border
checkpoints - no matter what you think. Their jobs depend on their
vigilance

Surely you jest regarding alleged incompetence (by the border control
folks) while crossing the border. By the way, just how many places do you
think you have for hiding contraband on yourself, and on your bicycle?

Ken
Winnipeg, Canada

Old April 1st 05, 06:33 AM
RicodJour

Ken Pisichko wrote:
RicodJour wrote:

Wait a minute! I just looked at their route map and it goes to
Huntingdon, not Montreal! Something's fishy there. I bet they're
actually smuggling across the border and riding 900 miles just to

throw
the cops off the scent. Now what can you fit in a saddle bag to

make
it worth it....?

Surely you jest regarding alleged incompetence (by the border control
folks) while crossing the border. By the way, just how many places do

you
think you have for hiding contraband on yourself, and on your

bicycle?

Ken
Winnipeg, Canada

Let me answer your question with a question. How many people have been
killed with nail clippers? I would _guarantee_ that 100 times as many
people have been killed with writing implements (pens, pencils, wooden
sticks with their ends burnt) than with a nail clippers. Yet they
confiscate only the clippers on planes!

It also depends on what they're smuggling. Depends which way the
smuggling goes, too. Maybe they're smuggling clean fresh Canadian air
down to Boston in their frames? Impossible to detect!

Old April 2nd 05, 07:06 AM
Dave Rusin

In article . com,
RicodJour wrote:

I would _guarantee_ that 100 times as many
people have been killed with writing implements (pens, pencils, wooden
sticks with their ends burnt) than with a nail clippers.

That's not bad writing, but you've got to admit that
"The pen is mightier than the sword"
says it with more zing.

dave