Fargo Street Hill Climb

Old March 25th 05, 05:44 PM
Raptor

Dave Wyman wrote:
It's a short ride - 1/10th of a mile - but it's got a 33% grade. The
annual Fargo Street Hill Climb, in the hilly Echo Park region of Los
Angeles, took place last weekend. There are lots of interesting photos at:

That sounds like fun! Just like half the Slickrock Trail.

"We should not march into Baghdad. ... Assigning young soldiers to
a fruitless hunt for a securely entrenched dictator and condemning
them to fight in what would be an unwinnable urban guerilla war, it
could only plunge that part of the world into ever greater
instability." George Bush Sr. in his 1998 book "A World Transformed"

Old March 26th 05, 05:24 AM
Dave Wyman

Default Fargo Street Hill Climb

http://www.pbase.com/coaster/fargo_street_2005
http://vmac.smugmug.com/gallery/445104/1
http://www.pelourinho.com/ce/20050320/index.htm?3
Old March 26th 05, 07:29 AM
M.J. Grove

On Fri, 25 Mar 2005 21:24:08 -0800, Dave Wyman
wrote:

It's a short ride - 1/10th of a mile - but it's got a 33% grade. The
annual Fargo Street Hill Climb, in the hilly Echo Park region of Los
Angeles, took place last weekend. There are lots of interesting photos at:

http://www.pbase.com/coaster/fargo_street_2005
http://vmac.smugmug.com/gallery/445104/1
http://www.pelourinho.com/ce/20050320/index.htm?3

The sponsoring club, Los Angeles Wheelmen, has the Fargo St. story and
pictures up (including Dave Wyman's climbs):

http://www.LAWheelmen.org

Old April 1st 05, 09:27 AM
Mike Jacoubowsky

It's a short ride - 1/10th of a mile - but it's got a 33% grade. The
annual Fargo Street Hill Climb, in the hilly Echo Park region of Los
Angeles, took place last weekend. There are lots of interesting photos at:

The most-interesting thing from the photos is that the majority of
participants were using mountain bikes. I'm wondering if this is due to the
type of cyclists who show up, or whether a mountain bike's longer wheelbase
makes a better platform for climbing a 33% grade (since it's probably less
likely to pull the front wheel up into the air).

--Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

Old April 1st 05, 01:50 PM
David Kerber

In article , mikej1
@ix.netcom.com says...
It's a short ride - 1/10th of a mile - but it's got a 33% grade. The
annual Fargo Street Hill Climb, in the hilly Echo Park region of Los
Angeles, took place last weekend. There are lots of interesting photos at:

The most-interesting thing from the photos is that the majority of
participants were using mountain bikes. I'm wondering if this is due to the
type of cyclists who show up, or whether a mountain bike's longer wheelbase
makes a better platform for climbing a 33% grade (since it's probably less
likely to pull the front wheel up into the air).

More likely due to the low gears the mtb's have. I imagine there are a
few touring bikes there as well, with their 30x32 low gears.

newsgroups if possible).
Old April 2nd 05, 01:18 AM
Dave Wyman

More likely due to the low gears the mtb's have. I imagine there are a
few touring bikes there as well, with their 30x32 low gears.

It's definitely the low gears. Strong - very strong - cyclists have done
it on road bikes.
Old April 2nd 05, 03:20 AM
Chuck Anderson

Dave Wyman wrote:

More likely due to the low gears the mtb's have. I imagine there are a
few touring bikes there as well, with their 30x32 low gears.

It's definitely the low gears. Strong - very strong - cyclists have done
it on road bikes.

I'm intrigued and would like to try a climb like this. Being in
Boulder, CO makes the logistics of getting to Fargo Street in LA a
little difficult.

1. How would I find this climb should I ever be in LA with my bike
(address? nearby intersection?)

2. Does anyone know of any hills this steep in Colorado? The steepest
climb I have nearby, that I know the grade of, is an 18% grade.

--
Chuck Anderson • Boulder, CO
Old April 2nd 05, 05:42 PM

You can find hills just as steep, and longer in San Francisco. Fargo just
happens to be the steepest paved road that LA has to offer.

If you really want, the bottom of the hill is at Fargo & Allesandro St --
approx. 2199 Fargo Street. Rent a car with GPS to take you there.