A Cycling & bikes forum. CycleBanter.com

Go Back   Home » CycleBanter.com forum » rec.bicycles » Mountain Biking
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Surley Karate Monkey: Anybody Over 6'5" Riding One?



 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old March 16th 08, 09:44 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike
(PeteCresswell)
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 2,790
Default Surley Karate Monkey: Anybody Over 6'5" Riding One?

Anybody Over 6'5" Riding Surley Karate Monkey?

If so, which size?... and how is the fit?
--
PeteCresswell
Ads
  #2  
Old March 18th 08, 10:47 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike
Anthony DeLorenzo
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 135
Default Surley Karate Monkey: Anybody Over 6'5" Riding One?

On Mar 16, 2:44 pm, "(PeteCresswell)" wrote:
Anybody Over 6'5" Riding Surley Karate Monkey?

If so, which size?... and how is the fit?
--
PeteCresswell


6'6" riding an XL, my inseam is 92.5 cm (36.4 in). The standover and
TT length are good. I used a short high-rise stem to get the bars up
high enough and a setback post to keep my weight off the front wheel.

  #3  
Old March 18th 08, 11:39 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike
(PeteCresswell)
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 2,790
Default Surley Karate Monkey: Anybody Over 6'5" Riding One?

Per Anthony DeLorenzo:
6'6" riding an XL, my inseam is 92.5 cm (36.4 in). The standover and
TT length are good. I used a short high-rise stem to get the bars up
high enough and a setback post to keep my weight off the front wheel.


*Exactly* what I wound up doing with my 21" Ellsworth Isis.

Do you have your bars below seat level? If so, how many inches
below... and do you think you could get them up to approximately
seat level or an inch below without doing anything radical?


What's your satisfaction level with the bike? Is 29" doing
anything for you that 26 wasn't?
--
PeteCresswell
  #4  
Old March 19th 08, 05:09 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike
Anthony DeLorenzo
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 135
Default Surley Karate Monkey: Anybody Over 6'5" Riding One?

On Mar 18, 4:39 pm, "(PeteCresswell)" wrote:

Do you have your bars below seat level? If so, how many inches
below... and do you think you could get them up to approximately
seat level or an inch below without doing anything radical?


I have 5 cm of spacers on the stock fork (uncut) and an 80 mm Salsa
stem with 40 degree rise. That would put a flat bar about 3 inches
below the saddle, I figure. I run a Mary bar so I get about half of
that back with the rise of the bar. Using a longer stem with a 2"
riser bar would easily get the bars up to seat level.

Here is a picture of my old setup. I was running a longer stem,
straight seatpost, gears, different wheels.... but it will give you
some idea.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/delorenzo/331290705/

What's your satisfaction level with the bike? Is 29" doing
anything for you that 26 wasn't?


This was only my second MTB and first 29er, so I don't have a lot to
compare it to, but I totally love this bike. The steel frame feels
great and the rigid fork soaks up a lot under my 250+ lbs. My
confidence and skill improved instantly with the big wheels. There are
plenty of arguments for both wheel sizes, but as a big rider I'm
totally sold on the big wheels.

I'm running Phil Wood hubs with 36-hole Rhyno Lite rims. I love the
Rhyno LItes, they're cheap, strong, wide and work great with a wide
(2.3) tire.

Regards,
Anthony
  #5  
Old March 19th 08, 06:33 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike
Crescentius Vespasianus
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 385
Default Surley Karate Monkey: Anybody Over 6'5" Riding One?

(PeteCresswell) wrote:
Per Anthony DeLorenzo:
6'6" riding an XL, my inseam is 92.5 cm (36.4 in). The standover and
TT length are good. I used a short high-rise stem to get the bars up
high enough and a setback post to keep my weight off the front wheel.


*Exactly* what I wound up doing with my 21" Ellsworth Isis.

Do you have your bars below seat level? If so, how many inches
below... and do you think you could get them up to approximately
seat level or an inch below without doing anything radical?


What's your satisfaction level with the bike? Is 29" doing
anything for you that 26 wasn't?

---------
I gave up on mtb a long time ago,
because I just didn't like the 26"
wheel. When I got my 29er, being a
roadie, all of sudden I felt like I had
a real bike to play with. A lot of
obstacles that frustrated me to no end
on the 26, I simply roll over now with a
29er. It actually feels more stable
than a 26. The downside, is that they
do seem quite heavy, but that's because
I think I am so use to road bikes, any
mtb feels like a tank to me. Another
downside, is it felt too big to commute
on, on the road, but stick it into the
wild, and it fits perfect. For some
strange reason, the 26 felt better, to
dink around on city roads.
 




Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
WTB: 22" Surly Karate Monkey Clown Marketplace 0 February 23rd 08 09:23 PM
karate monkey? bruno Mountain Biking 39 February 21st 07 04:25 AM
FS: Surly Karate Monkey Andrew Karre Marketplace 1 March 3rd 06 09:45 PM
Surly Karate Monkey as SS with discs? Gooserider General 5 November 22nd 05 12:18 AM
Surly Karate Monkey for sale [email protected] Marketplace 0 October 5th 05 07:15 PM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 09:47 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2018 CycleBanter.com.
The comments are property of their posters.