1000km Charity ride across the Roof of the World to Everest

Old September 5th 08, 08:56 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
steve.colligan

Default 1000km Charity ride across the Roof of the World to Everest

*1000KM ACROSS THE 'ROOF OF THE WORLD' TO EVEREST, ON A UNICYCLE*

As a keen traveller and mountaineer I have visited Nepal eight times
over the last twelve years. Each time I go I am moved by the level of
poverty that many Nepali's live with, particularly in rural areas. Some
villages don't have access to clean drinking water, electricity, proper
toilet facilities or good education. Indeed, Nepal is one of the
poorest and least developed countries in Asia and the world, with adult
literacy at only 49%. Some of the things we take for granted, like safe
drinking water, electricity on demand and education for our children
become a rare luxury in certain parts of Nepal.

Each time I visit I wonder what I can do to repay the warmth and
hospitality shown to me over the years. Now I have found a project that
I can offer support to; a Nepali friend has established a small NGO
(non-governmental organisation) which is working to improve the
educational facilities and amenities in a remote area of the Himalayas.
For the last 12 years there has been civil war in the country, which
hasn't helped raise the standard of living. With this conflict finally
ended, now is the perfect time to help local people with their own
development projects.

On the 23rd September 2008 I fly to Nepal, then onto Tibet. I am going
to ride my unicycle 1000km (620 miles) across the Roof of the World,
from Lhasa, the capital of Tibet, to Kathmandu, the capital of Nepal. I
will be riding across the Tibetan Plateau, with an average elevation of
4000 metres. I will cross five major mountain passes, over 5000 metres,
where the oxygen levels are half of what we have at sea level.
Temperatures will go down to minus 15 degrees centigrade during the
night and I will be camping for most of the route, as the area is
largely uninhabited. My aim is to raise as much money as possible to
help fund the NGO and its projects.

A lot of you know me personally, or from my posts, so please help me
out and make a donation. Full details of this challenge and how you can
help support can be found on my website, www.unicyclesteve.com

I am funding my own expenses and managing the administration myself to
enable me to pass on all the donations received, and so all monies
raised will go directly to the registered NGO in Nepal.

--
steve.colligan

Once is NEVER enough!
Old September 5th 08, 09:15 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
samwii

wow! that is brilliant! what size unicycle will you be riding it on?
thats a very long way!

--
samwii

**life is music, play it louder**

Side hop--1M 10
Fav trick-- 180 Unispin Mount
Riding-- Nimbus 26" muni
Old September 5th 08, 09:22 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
steve.colligan

samwii wrote:
wow! that is brilliant! what size unicycle will you be riding it on?
thats a very long way!

I'll be riding a Nimbus 36 (ungeared) with Nightrider tyre.

--
steve.colligan

Once is NEVER enough!
Old September 5th 08, 09:25 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
tholub

This ride sounds challenging, but Totally Doable. Good luck raising
money and completing the trek! I'm in, and I forwarded this to the
rest of TD.

--
tholub
Old September 5th 08, 09:26 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
samwii

cool,
I saw your site with pics of you riding a MUni and was thinking you
must be kinda crazy to ride on a 24/26"

--
samwii

**life is music, play it louder**

Side hop--1M 10
Fav trick-- 180 Unispin Mount
Riding-- Nimbus 26" muni
Old September 5th 08, 09:38 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Ben Plotkin-Swing

Wow, this sounds like a great project. If it was happening next year,
when I am hoping to be unicycling somewhere in the Himalayas, I might
offer to ride with you some of the way.

I would be very interested in hearing about your experience unicycling
in Nepal. Have you ridden there before?

Ben

--
Ben Plotkin-Swing

www.benps.com

Is there such thing as free wheel?
Old September 5th 08, 09:41 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
steve.colligan

tholub wrote:
This ride sounds challenging, but Totally Doable. Good luck raising
money and completing the trek! I'm in, and I forwarded this to the
rest of TD.

Thanks Tom. There will be a full report in the Uni Mag after the event.

--
steve.colligan

Once is NEVER enough!
'1000km charity ride across the Roof of the World to Everest, on a
Unicycle - Please help support' (http://www.unicyclesteve.com)
Old September 5th 08, 09:51 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
steve.colligan

Ben Plotkin-Swing wrote:
Wow, this sounds like a great project. If it was happening next year,
when I am hoping to be unicycling somewhere in the Himalayas, I might
offer to ride with you some of the way.

I would be very interested in hearing about your experience unicycling
in Nepal. Have you ridden there before?

Ben

I've been on three muni trips to Nepal so far. There are paths
everywhere in the mountains, so you will never get bored of the same
route down. You don't have to go that far either before you're away
from the tourist trekking routes. You'll love it.

Old September 5th 08, 09:57 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
cathwood

Blimey.

And I thought going to the BUC was exciting

Good luck and take care.

--
cathwood

Cathy
Old September 5th 08, 10:27 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
1-wheeled-grape

good luck, it is an amazing thing your doing, both the the vast scale of
the riding and the reasons you are doing it!

--
1-wheeled-grape

Scott,

'Restoring a Mini Mayfair... It's going to be awesome!!!!!!'
(http://tinyurl.com/6jry36)
'My bebo thingy' (http://www.bebo.com/unicyclist_for_life)