Southern cross drive accident

Old March 17th 14, 10:29 AM posted to aus.bicycle
F Murtz[_2_]

Default Southern cross drive accident

Was this where an alternative bicycle track exists ?
Old March 20th 14, 10:18 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Stuart Longland

On Mon, 17 Mar 2014 20:29:02 +1100, F Murtz wrote:

Was this where an alternative bicycle track exists ?

I'm not familiar with the area but some cyclists will still choose the
road when a track exists as the road is usually better maintained and
free from debris.

Particularly racing bikes, as they run high pressure tyres and are more
susceptible to punctures.

(I stick to the footpath unless circumstances require it though, as a
courtesy to drivers.)
Old March 21st 14, 12:13 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Trent W. Buck

Stuart Longland writes:

On Mon, 17 Mar 2014 20:29:02 +1100, F Murtz wrote:

Was this where an alternative bicycle track exists ?

I'm not familiar with the area but some cyclists will still choose the
road when a track exists as the road is usually better maintained and
free from debris.

Particularly racing bikes, as they run high pressure tyres and are
more susceptible to punctures.

(I stick to the footpath unless circumstances require it though, as a
courtesy to drivers.)

And because a bike/ped collision is safer for everyone than a bike/car
collision, and (situation dependent) less likely besides.
Old March 21st 14, 01:25 AM posted to aus.bicycle
news13

On Fri, 21 Mar 2014 10:13:36 +1100, Trent W. Buck wrote:

And because a bike/ped collision is safer for everyone than a bike/car
collision, and (situation dependent) less likely besides.

How many shared bicycle/ped paths have you ridden.
Ring a bell or sound a horns or hout to advise you're passing and instant
bike stand as they jump in front of you.

Ride wide around them and they mouth off like the dumb gfskers they are.

And I'm only a gentle plodder. There are some really dumb peds around and
that is before you encounter the headphone brigade.

Old March 21st 14, 03:04 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Zebee Johnstone

In aus.bicycle on Fri, 21 Mar 2014 00:25:01 +0000 (UTC)
news13 wrote:
On Fri, 21 Mar 2014 10:13:36 +1100, Trent W. Buck wrote:

And because a bike/ped collision is safer for everyone than a bike/car
collision, and (situation dependent) less likely besides.

How many shared bicycle/ped paths have you ridden.

Most of the ones in Sydney.

Ring a bell or sound a horns or hout to advise you're passing and instant
bike stand as they jump in front of you.

Funny, I find they move over quite politely.

Ride wide around them and they mouth off like the dumb gfskers they are.

Never happened.

And I'm only a gentle plodder. There are some really dumb peds around and
that is before you encounter the headphone brigade.

I have sometimes found someone who can't hear the bell, but it is very
seldom and there's usually a way around them.

Zebee
Old March 21st 14, 12:08 PM posted to aus.bicycle
Stuart Longland

On Fri, 21 Mar 2014 00:25:01 +0000, news13 wrote:

On Fri, 21 Mar 2014 10:13:36 +1100, Trent W. Buck wrote:

And because a bike/ped collision is safer for everyone than a bike/car
collision, and (situation dependent) less likely besides.

How many shared bicycle/ped paths have you ridden.
Ring a bell or sound a horns or hout to advise you're passing and
instant bike stand as they jump in front of you.

Ride wide around them and they mouth off like the dumb gfskers they are.

Yeah, I've had this too.

Yes pedestrians, I *will* give way to you, but a bit of due diligence on
*your* part would be *greatly* appreciated.

40kg of bicycle + 90kg of rider doesn't stop *that* quickly.

And I'm only a gentle plodder. There are some really dumb peds around
and that is before you encounter the headphone brigade.

I suspect the design rules for bicycles haven't changed much in 50
years. 50 years ago we did not have:

- portable music players (okay, there *were* transistor radios)
- mobile phones
- tablet computers

Bicycles 50 years ago did not have:

- gears (unless you were rich)
- hand brakes (many were backpedal brakes)

So ringing a bell was perfectly adequate. One only ever used the
handlebars for hanging on or steering -- to operate the brake you
backpedalled. That meant you had a hand free to muck around with a
woefully inadequate bell. The lack of distractions meant there was a
good chance the pedestrian concerned would hear you and react.

Fast forward all this time, and the pedestrian in front has the iPod
blaring out at top note, and is heavily engaged in some game on his/her
phone. Your bell is no match and in the meantime you're trying to ring
it and trying to simultaneously shift down in gears and brake at the same
time.

I have a lighting system mounted to the bike which includes indicators.
There's a 12V battery on-board which powers the lights plus a radio
transceiver. When I initially set it up, I thought I'd notice the lights
flashing, but found I was sometimes forgetting to turn them off, so I
added one of these:

http://www.jaycar.com.au/productView.asp?
ID=AB3466&form=CAT2&SUBCATID=984#1

Quite handy around errant pedestrians. However it's only useful when
you're about 5m away, and most don't twig that the beeping noise is a
cyclist hitting the anchors. It's useless with cars in traffic though.

Ode for a horn … I'm sorely tempted to go visit a car wreckers to see if
they've got an old one from a truck or some such that'll run off the 12V
supply, however haven't done so yet.
Old March 21st 14, 02:18 PM posted to aus.bicycle
F Murtz[_2_]

Stuart Longland wrote:
[...]

What is that link supposed to do?
Old March 21st 14, 02:28 PM posted to aus.bicycle
Stuart Longland

On Sat, 22 Mar 2014 00:18:38 +1100, F Murtz wrote:

Stuart Longland wrote:

http://www.jaycar.com.au/productView.asp?
ID=AB3466&form=CAT2&SUBCATID=984#1

What is that link supposed to do?

Seems pan fails at wrapping text. Okay, I'll edit the post in vi and post
that. The link was:

http://www.jaycar.com.au/productView...SUBCATID=984#1
Old March 21st 14, 08:32 PM posted to aus.bicycle
Zebee Johnstone

In aus.bicycle on Fri, 21 Mar 2014 21:08:03 +1000
Stuart Longland wrote:
So ringing a bell was perfectly adequate. One only ever used the
handlebars for hanging on or steering -- to operate the brake you
backpedalled. That meant you had a hand free to muck around with a
woefully inadequate bell. The lack of distractions meant there was a
good chance the pedestrian concerned would hear you and react.

If you can't manage to brake and bell at the same time, then you are
riding a bike you can't manage.

I have no issue on either of mine.

Seems to me you have two brakes, do you need two hands to use a bell?

Pedestrians are big enough to see, you can't manage to anticipate the
need to change down? You are going fast enough on shared paths you
aren't leaving enough room?

Lord what a bunch of hopeless bloody whingers. If your bike is head
down bum up (and 50 years ago no head down bum up bike had coaster
brakes) then get another one until your riding skills are enough that
you can manage brakes and bell on something less challenging.

And if it isn't then go find a car park and learn to ride the frigging
thing before coming on here and showing off your inability to handle
your bike.

If you still can't manage the horribly difficult and dangerous shared
paths[1] then get off them and onto the road. Easy.

But for God's sake, don't display your utter inadequacy as riders and
then blame pedestrians for it.

Zebee

[1] SARCASM ALERT! because that is obviously needed.
Old March 22nd 14, 03:26 AM posted to aus.bicycle
news13

On Fri, 21 Mar 2014 19:32:11 +0000, Zebee Johnstone wrote:

Lord what a bunch of hopeless bloody whingers.

No, just more widely experienced with Sydney's bike paths than you.
Certain areas seem to have different attitudes.