Bicycle Accident

Old October 29th 18, 01:47 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B. Slocomb

Default Bicycle Accident

This past week the news here has reported the death of a Philippine
bicyclist who was in Thailand participating in a 1,000 km Audax.

About 01:30 on Tuesday, the 24th, Russel Perez, 55, from the
Philippines, was struck by a van that run a red light and died, after
having completed approximately 950 km of the 1,000 km. ride.

On 25 Nov police reported that a damaged van, a white Toyota, was
found at a garage in Min Buri district in Bangkok. It was taken to the
police station for forensic and fingerprint testing. The police said
a man drove the van to the garage on Wednesday morning for repairs
saying that the vehicle hit a cow.

On 26 Nov.Police arrested a 29-year-old van driver who ran a red light
and fatally hit a 55-year-old Philippine cyclist joining a
long-distance event early Tuesday morning. He was charged with,
reckless driving causing death and damage, failing to help his victim,
failure to inform an official of the incident, running a red light and
using drugs.
--
Cheers

John B.
Old October 29th 18, 08:38 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
James[_8_]

On 29/10/18 11:47 am, John B. Slocomb wrote:

This past week the news here has reported the death of a Philippine
bicyclist who was in Thailand participating in a 1,000 km Audax.

About 01:30 on Tuesday, the 24th, Russel Perez, 55, from the
Philippines, was struck by a van that run a red light and died, after
having completed approximately 950 km of the 1,000 km. ride.

Naughty van.

On 25 Nov police reported that a damaged van, a white Toyota, was
found at a garage in Min Buri district in Bangkok. It was taken to the
police station for forensic and fingerprint testing. The police said
a man drove the van to the garage on Wednesday morning for repairs
saying that the vehicle hit a cow.

On 26 Nov.Police arrested a 29-year-old van driver who ran a red light
and fatally hit a 55-year-old Philippine cyclist joining a
long-distance event early Tuesday morning. He was charged with,
reckless driving causing death and damage, failing to help his victim,
failure to inform an official of the incident, running a red light and
using drugs.

Ah. I see the van had a driver.

The media usually word these stories as though the motor vehicle did
something it shouldn't. It is a common problem. No mention of the
driver having lost control, or not paying attention, or being
distracted, etc., except maybe sometimes as a footnote.

The language used in motor vehicle crash stories is usually very
different from bicycle crash stories, where it is usually the rider that
is noted to have done something - not the bicycle.

--
JS
Old October 29th 18, 09:10 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

On 2018-10-29 12:38, James wrote:
[...]

Wait until we have the first cyclists run over by driverless cars. Like
what happened to a woman in AZ who was pushing her bicycle.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Old October 29th 18, 11:59 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B. Slocomb

On Tue, 30 Oct 2018 06:38:42 +1100, James
wrote:

[...]

I suppose that at least some of the wording was a result of people
initially seeing what happened. i.e., people saw a van hit a bicycle
but they couldn't see whether it was driven by a man, woman or an evil
spirit.

--
Cheers

John B.
Old October 30th 18, 12:49 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B. Slocomb

On Mon, 29 Oct 2018 13:10:08 -0700, Joerg
wrote:

On 2018-10-29 12:38, James wrote:
[...]

Perhaps the U.S. could pass a new law, similar to one that was enacted
in Pennsylvania in 1896, when legislators unanimously passed a bill
through both houses of the state legislature which would require all
motorists piloting their "horseless carriages", upon chance encounters
with cattle or livestock to
(1) immediately stop the vehicle,
(2) "immediately and as rapidly as possible ... disassemble the
automobile", and
(3) "conceal the various components out of sight, behind nearby
bushes" until equestrian or livestock is sufficiently pacified.
--
Cheers

John B.
Old October 30th 18, 01:39 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

wrote:

On 2018-10-29 12:38, James wrote:
[...]

When my wife, daughter and I did our coast-to-coast ride, we were on a
gravel road in North Dakota when a woman driving a pickup truck stopped
us. She explained that another pair of touring cyclists just ahead of us
had spooked her cattle so badly they stampeded right through a barbed
wire fence and up the road.

Her family was herding the cows back down the gravel road, opposite the
direction we were riding. She asked us to please hide ourselves behind
some huge hay rolls in the adjacent pasture until they had passed by.

So we took a snack break there, and after a while got to watch cowboys
on horses plus another pickup truck move the herd.

At least we didn't have to disassemble our bikes. :-)

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old October 30th 18, 03:42 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
news18

On Mon, 29 Oct 2018 20:39:48 -0400, Frank Krygowski wrote:

When my wife, daughter and I did our coast-to-coast ride, we were on a
gravel road in North Dakota when a woman driving a pickup truck stopped
us. She explained that another pair of touring cyclists just ahead of us
had spooked her cattle so badly they stampeded right through a barbed
wire fence and up the road.

Her family was herding the cows back down the gravel road, opposite the
direction we were riding. She asked us to please hide ourselves behind
some huge hay rolls in the adjacent pasture until they had passed by.

So we took a snack break there, and after a while got to watch cowboys
on horses plus another pickup truck move the herd.

Wimpy cattle?
I've had to shepherd a touring group past a mob of cattle in a roadside
paddock as the cows came over to see what was going on. Don't ask what
happens when you encounter them on a track.

Riding past a droving mob can be interesting, but you usually wondering
if it wasn't wiser to have fitted mudguards for this trip.
Old October 30th 18, 07:50 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
James[_8_]

wrote:

[...]

In my limited experience, the incident rate of vehicles being driven by
spirits, evil or good, is nil. There are of course spirited drivers and
drivers under the influence of spirits, but it would suffice to say a
person driving a van hit a bicycle (and rider).

--
JS
Old October 30th 18, 07:58 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
James[_8_]

On 30/10/18 11:39 am, Frank Krygowski wrote:

When my wife, daughter and I did our coast-to-coast ride, we were on a
gravel road in North Dakota when a woman driving a pickup truck stopped
us. She explained that another pair of touring cyclists just ahead of us
had spooked her cattle so badly they stampeded right through a barbed
wire fence and up the road.

Her family was herding the cows back down the gravel road, opposite the
direction we were riding. She asked us to please hide ourselves behind
some huge hay rolls in the adjacent pasture until they had passed by.

So we took a snack break there, and after a while got to watch cowboys
on horses plus another pickup truck move the herd.

At least we didn't have to disassemble our bikes.Â* :-)

Yes, I've been asked to wait for cattle being driven along the road
reserve. Some horses are particularly skittish around bicycles too.

--
JS
Old October 30th 18, 11:27 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Ned Mantei[_2_]

On 30-10-18 07:58, James wrote:
On 30/10/18 11:39 am, Frank Krygowski wrote:

When my wife, daughter and I did our coast-to-coast ride, we were on a
gravel road in North Dakota when a woman driving a pickup truck
stopped us. She explained that another pair of touring cyclists just
ahead of us had spooked her cattle so badly they stampeded right
through a barbed wire fence and up the road.

Her family was herding the cows back down the gravel road, opposite
the direction we were riding. She asked us to please hide ourselves
behind some huge hay rolls in the adjacent pasture until they had
passed by.

So we took a snack break there, and after a while got to watch cowboys
on horses plus another pickup truck move the herd.

At least we didn't have to disassemble our bikes.Â* :-)

Yes, I've been asked to wait for cattle being driven along the road
reserve.Â* Some horses are particularly skittish around bicycles too.

I've seen this sort of thing only once. Going up into an out-of-the-way
valley (Val Sinestra) there was a trail of cows coming down from their
summer pasture (https://flic.kr/p/bH8xNB ) Surprisingly, they were led
by several horses, with no humans around (https://flic.kr/p/bH8xK4 ). I
moved to the side to let them pass, but left my bike close to the road.
The cows avoided this strange object, but still kept going
(https://flic.kr/p/bH8xT4 ). Humans appeared later in an SUV, after all
the cows had passed.

Where the trail ends closer to settled areas, coming down from the
pasture at the end of summer ("Alpabzug") can be a sort of parade, with
the cows being decked out for the celebration
(https://flic.kr/p/2bqbDB9 and https://flic.kr/p/NKW6cX ,
or https://flic.kr/p/bHacdR ).

At other times I've encountered groups of cows right on the road. Often
it was easy to go around them (https://flic.kr/p/LxHLkD ), but once I
had to walk right through the group. They didn't seem to care at all,
and let me pass. The only unpleasant part was that they were surrounded
by clouds of flies.

And somehow touching: Once I was standing at the side of the road
looking at a map, when a cow came over and started to lick the sweat off
my arm. An unusual but not unpleasant sensation...

Finally, as I've mentioned before, mother cows with their calves
("Mutterkuhhaltung" in German) can be very dangerous. Every year or two
the newspaper reports on a hiker killed by a mother cow. Here I leave at
least 50 meters space, or just give up and go back.

Ned