Tube cement, which brand is best?

Old November 29th 18, 06:50 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

Default Tube cement, which brand is best?

I've got a bunch of patch kits that contain yellow "Propatch" cement
tubes. On Sunday I had to use a kit, as usual for another rider. We
found the hole, sanded the tube, opened the li'l cement tube ... phuffff
.... only air was left inside. It was inside an extra plastic wrap and
all, didn't help. So we had to use my spare tube.

Do you guys know a brand that is better and where a bunch of these
little tubes could be bought sans patches? Not so much for me but for
other riders because many reported similar problems.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Old November 29th 18, 08:28 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tosspot[_3_]

On 11/29/18 6:50 PM, Joerg wrote:
I've got a bunch of patch kits that contain yellow "Propatch" cement
tubes. On Sunday I had to use a kit, as usual for another rider. We
found the hole, sanded the tube, opened the li'l cement tube ...
phuffff ... only air was left inside. It was inside an extra plastic
wrap and all, didn't help. So we had to use my spare tube.

Do you guys know a brand that is better and where a bunch of these
little tubes could be bought sans patches? Not so much for me but for
other riders because many reported similar problems.

Rema were always the patch of choice. However, any vulcanizing fluid
should do it.

Old November 29th 18, 08:57 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Theodore Heise[_2_]

On Thu, 29 Nov 2018 20:28:05 +0100,
Tosspot wrote:
On 11/29/18 6:50 PM, Joerg wrote:
I've got a bunch of patch kits that contain yellow "Propatch" cement
tubes. On Sunday I had to use a kit, as usual for another
rider. We found the hole, sanded the tube, opened the li'l
cement tube ... phuffff ... only air was left inside. It was
inside an extra plastic wrap and all, didn't help. So we had
to use my spare tube.

Do you guys know a brand that is better and where a bunch of
these little tubes could be bought sans patches? Not so much
for me but for other riders because many reported similar
problems.

Rema were always the patch of choice. However, any vulcanizing
fluid should do it.

I've had really good luck with the Rema tubes. I don't recall
ever opening a previously unopened tube to find it dry. Some of
them have probably sat in saddle packs for multiple years, too.

--
Ted Heise West Lafayette, IN, USA
Old November 29th 18, 09:40 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

Tosspot wrote:
On 11/29/18 6:50 PM, Joerg wrote:
I've got a bunch of patch kits that contain yellow "Propatch" cement
tubes. On Sunday I had to use a kit, as usual for another
rider. We found the hole, sanded the tube, opened the li'l
cement tube ... phuffff ... only air was left inside. It was
inside an extra plastic wrap and all, didn't help. So we had
to use my spare tube.

Do you guys know a brand that is better and where a bunch of
these little tubes could be bought sans patches? Not so much
for me but for other riders because many reported similar
problems.

Rema were always the patch of choice. However, any vulcanizing
fluid should do it.

I've had really good luck with the Rema tubes. I don't recall
ever opening a previously unopened tube to find it dry. Some of
them have probably sat in saddle packs for multiple years, too.

Ok, thanks, guys, then I'll try Rema cement next time.

Old November 30th 18, 12:10 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Thursday, November 29, 2018 at 9:50:52 AM UTC-8, Joerg wrote:
I've got a bunch of patch kits that contain yellow "Propatch" cement
tubes. On Sunday I had to use a kit, as usual for another rider. We
found the hole, sanded the tube, opened the li'l cement tube ... phuffff
... only air was left inside. It was inside an extra plastic wrap and
all, didn't help. So we had to use my spare tube.

Do you guys know a brand that is better and where a bunch of these
little tubes could be bought sans patches? Not so much for me but for
other riders because many reported similar problems.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

I have found that new unopened tubes last forever something that a lot of Rema did not. Or at least none have failed in four years of storage
Old November 30th 18, 06:22 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jeff Liebermann

On Thu, 29 Nov 2018 09:50:59 -0800, Joerg
wrote:

Do you guys know a brand that is better and where a bunch of these
little tubes could be bought sans patches? Not so much for me but for
other riders because many reported similar problems.

The 8oz metal can of Rema "Tip Top Vulcanizing Fluid" in my shop seems
to last forever. I think it's been there for about 5 years. It's
been opened and used many times, yet shows no indication of hardening
or evaporation. The only thing I do that's tricky is wrap some Teflon
tape around the can threads to make it easier to open.
https://www.universalcycles.com/shopping/product_details.php?id=52678

However, carrying such a large can on a ride is probably impractical.
When the same discussion appeared in r.b.t a few years ago, I decided
that quantity might be a suitable substitute for quality. I bought
30x tubes of cheap Chinese glue at a cost of about $0.50 per tube.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/153039763013
I crudely tested the peel strength of the glue when it arrived. Rema
was better, but the cheap glue seemed good enough if I compressed the
glue joint with some kind of clamp (two pieces of wood and my vise
grip pliers). The original plan was to rotate the glue tubes every 6
months or so, but that never happened. So, I don't know if regular
rotation is a suitable solution. Cheap enough to try by carrying a
2nd tube.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D
Old November 30th 18, 05:01 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

wrote:

[...]

That's the stuff used in bike shops and I've never seen them drying up either. I suspect that the contents are different.
Old November 30th 18, 05:46 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jeff Liebermann

On Fri, 30 Nov 2018 08:01:50 -0800 (PST), wrote:

On Thursday, November 29, 2018 at 9:22:33 PM UTC-8, Jeff Liebermann wrote:
However, carrying such a large can on a ride is probably impractical.
When the same discussion appeared in r.b.t a few years ago, I decided
that quantity might be a suitable substitute for quality. I bought
30x tubes of cheap Chinese glue at a cost of about $0.50 per tube.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/153039763013

That's the stuff used in bike shops and I've never seen them drying
up either. I suspect that the contents are different.

They certainly do dry up eventually. I leave a few tubes in my car in
the automobile tire patch and plug kit. The tubes are larger, but the
contents seems like the same glue and solvent. The tubes dry out
after about a year in hot car. I suspect that the Rema "cold
vulcanizing fluid" type adds some kind of vulcanizing accelerator to
deal with the unvulcanized rubber patch.

One thing I haven't tried is marking the tubes with their measured
weight, to see if I can at least identify which tubes are lacking
contents. Also, I've never seen a dry tube that still has some
residual liquid rubber cement left. It's always good as new, or
containing a small amount of some kind of white powder, and nothing
else. Weird.

"Repair patch for an elastomer component, in particular for a vehicle
tire, having increased adhesive strength"
https://patents.google.com/patent/US20120247648A1/en
See item [0005].

Old November 30th 18, 06:01 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Thursday, November 29, 2018 at 12:50:52 PM UTC-5, Joerg wrote:
I've got a bunch of patch kits that contain yellow "Propatch" cement
tubes. On Sunday I had to use a kit, as usual for another rider. We
found the hole, sanded the tube, opened the li'l cement tube ... phuffff
... only air was left inside. It was inside an extra plastic wrap and
all, didn't help. So we had to use my spare tube.

Do you guys know a brand that is better and where a bunch of these
little tubes could be bought sans patches? Not so much for me but for
other riders because many reported similar problems.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

The cement and patch are designed to work with one another. There are chemicals on the patch that are activated by chemicals in the cement. Different manufacturers use different activators. You will get best results, if you don't mix manufacturers.

I've found the Rema Tip-Top patches with their tubes of cold vulcanizing fluid to work extremely well.
Old December 1st 18, 04:25 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

On 2018-11-29 15:10, wrote:
On Thursday, November 29, 2018 at 9:50:52 AM UTC-8, Joerg wrote:
I've got a bunch of patch kits that contain yellow "Propatch"
cement tubes. On Sunday I had to use a kit, as usual for another
rider. We found the hole, sanded the tube, opened the li'l cement
tube ... phuffff ... only air was left inside. It was inside an
extra plastic wrap and all, didn't help. So we had to use my spare
tube.

Do you guys know a brand that is better and where a bunch of these
little tubes could be bought sans patches? Not so much for me but
for other riders because many reported similar problems.

-- Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

I have found that new unopened tubes last forever something that a
lot of Rema did not. Or at least none have failed in four years of
storage

Maybe this Propatch tube was just a dud then. It had the same puffy
appearance and feel to it as usual but when puntured ... phhht ... could
be compressed to full flat without anything coming out.