Help. Urgent advice needed.

Old September 19th 05, 05:36 PM
Jeff Grippe

Default Help. Urgent advice needed.

I realize that a newsgroup is not the best place to go for time sensitive
information but here goes.

I work in Manhattan and live in Westchester. I may have to ride home today.
It has been many years since I rode out of Manhattan and to the North. I
seem to remember taking Broadway all the way up but I don't remember. Any
advice about how to get out of Manhattan on a trike would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Jeff

Old September 20th 05, 02:25 AM
Sunset Lowracer [TM] Fanatic

Jeff Grippe wrote:
I realize that a newsgroup is not the best place to go for time sensitive
information but here goes.

I work in Manhattan and live in Westchester. I may have to ride home today.
It has been many years since I rode out of Manhattan and to the North. I
seem to remember taking Broadway all the way up but I don't remember. Any
advice about how to get out of Manhattan on a trike would be appreciated.

The primary way north out of Manhattan, Illinois is U.S. Route 52.
However, Eastern Avenue has much less high speed traffic, and would be
better in that respect for a recumbent trike rider.

Don't you hate intelligent above seat steering?
--
Tom Sherman - Fox River Valley

"We are discussing whether humans as prey are 'natural'. Clearly,
they are, or that mountain lion wouldn't have been trying to eat a
human." - M.V.

Old September 20th 05, 02:09 PM
Jeff Grippe

You must be a consultant.

Your advice was (I assume) completely accurate and totally useless.

Jeff
"Sunset Lowracer [TM] Fanatic" wrote in message
oups.com...

Old September 20th 05, 04:52 PM
Edward Dolan

"Jeff Grippe" wrote in message
I realize that a newsgroup is not the best place to go for time sensitive
information but here goes.

It is best to go into the archives and look up stuff from serveral years
ago. Jon Meinecke does that sort of thing all the time. Apparently, there
are not enough current idiocies taking place here on ARBR to satisfy him.

I work in Manhattan and live in Westchester. I may have to ride home
today. It has been many years since I rode out of Manhattan and to the
North. I seem to remember taking Broadway all the way up but I don't
remember. Any advice about how to get out of Manhattan on a trike would be
appreciated.

Maybe you should think about living in Manhattan since you are working
there, or did not that idea ever occur to you.

I caution you about the area immediately above 42nd St. that runs along
Broadway. It tends to be over run with panhandlers, drunks and very
aggressive whores. They will dive for your wallet without even blinking. I
am assuming of course that you are planning to ride your trike on the
sidewalks and not in the streets.

Only a totally insane person would ride a recumbent trike up Broadway. If
that was your plan, please see a psychoanalyst at your earliest
opportunity - and do not be posting any more idiotic messages to this
newsgroup. There are already enough nuts and screwballs here without you
adding to the mixture.

Thanks,

Posh! No need to thank me. It is part of my noblesse oblige that I perform
for all my inferiors here on ARBR.

--
Ed Dolan the Great - Minnesota
aka

PS. And some on this group think I never contribute anything!

Old September 20th 05, 06:05 PM
HHS

"Jeff Grippe" wrote in message
I realize that a newsgroup is not the best place to go for time sensitive
information but here goes.

I work in Manhattan and live in Westchester. I may have to ride home
today. It has been many years since I rode out of Manhattan and to the
North. I seem to remember taking Broadway all the way up but I don't
remember. Any advice about how to get out of Manhattan on a trike would be
appreciated.

Thanks,

Jeff

From what I remember of Manhattan traffic you are going to have to convince
me you don't have a death wish.

How about riding your tricycle to the train station and use their facilities
to get to work. Personally I would probably want the convenience of a motor
scooter to get to the train station if I didn't have access to a car.

Seems to me dealing with a tricycle once you get to the train station or to
your work would be problematic.

Naturally I have no clue what the best route would be. I'm just trying to
save lives here.

Old September 20th 05, 06:49 PM
Jeff Grippe

Well first of all there is a beautiful bike path along the Hudson river on
the west side. It goes almost all the way up Manhattan. If I had not
experienced a bike problem at 96th Street I would have riden it all the way
up. It is away from the road, patrolled, and free of traffic (other than
other bikes, hikers, roller blader, etc.)

The best crossover into the Bronx was as I had remembered, the Broadway
Bridge. I ended up riding up Broadway north of 96th Street and the traffic
wasn't too bad.

The really bad news was Broadway (Rt. 9) in Yonkers (and north). It was very
hilly and heavily trafficed. The fact that I had a brake problem that wasn't
easily fixed on the road didn't help.

Jeff
"HHS" wrote in message

"Jeff Grippe" wrote in message
I realize that a newsgroup is not the best place to go for time sensitive
information but here goes.

I work in Manhattan and live in Westchester. I may have to ride home
today. It has been many years since I rode out of Manhattan and to the
North. I seem to remember taking Broadway all the way up but I don't
remember. Any advice about how to get out of Manhattan on a trike would
be appreciated.

Thanks,

Jeff

From what I remember of Manhattan traffic you are going to have to
convince me you don't have a death wish.

Old September 20th 05, 07:08 PM
Edward Dolan

"HHS" wrote in message

"Jeff Grippe" wrote in message
I realize that a newsgroup is not the best place to go for time sensitive
information but here goes.

I work in Manhattan and live in Westchester. I may have to ride home
today. It has been many years since I rode out of Manhattan and to the
North. I seem to remember taking Broadway all the way up but I don't
remember. Any advice about how to get out of Manhattan on a trike would
be appreciated.

Thanks,

Jeff

From what I remember of Manhattan traffic you are going to have to
convince me you don't have a death wish.

How about riding your tricycle to the train station and use their
facilities to get to work. Personally I would probably want the
convenience of a motor scooter to get to the train station if I didn't
have access to a car.

Seems to me dealing with a tricycle once you get to the train station or
to your work would be problematic.

Naturally I have no clue what the best route would be. I'm just trying to
save lives here.

I don't think it is possible to save suicidal morons from themselves.

The very best way to get around New York City is via public transit (mainly
the subways) and then walk. I lived in New York for many years and anyone
who would drive a car or ride a bike in the city was nothing more or less
than an imbecile. The main point of living in a city like New York is to
divest yourself of private means of locomotion and rely on the public means.
Most European cities are set up this way too.

Hells Bells, if you want to drive your own motor vehicle and ride your bike,
then come to SW Minnesota and you will have the roads all to yourself
(barring the occasional drunk driver of course - a really big menace on
Saturday nights).

Old September 20th 05, 07:16 PM
Edward Dolan

"HHS" wrote in message

"Jeff Grippe" wrote in message
I realize that a newsgroup is not the best place to go for time sensitive
information but here goes.

I work in Manhattan and live in Westchester. I may have to ride home
today. It has been many years since I rode out of Manhattan and to the
North. I seem to remember taking Broadway all the way up but I don't
remember. Any advice about how to get out of Manhattan on a trike would
be appreciated.

Thanks,

Jeff

From what I remember of Manhattan traffic you are going to have to
convince me you don't have a death wish.

How about riding your tricycle to the train station and use their
facilities to get to work. Personally I would probably want the
convenience of a motor scooter to get to the train station if I didn't
have access to a car.

Seems to me dealing with a tricycle once you get to the train station or
to your work would be problematic.

Naturally I have no clue what the best route would be. I'm just trying
to save lives here.

This is how scofflaw Jeff Grippe should have posted the above message:

"HHS" wrote in message

"Jeff Grippe" wrote in message
I realize that a newsgroup is not the best place to go for time sensitive
information but here goes.

I work in Manhattan and live in Westchester. I may have to ride home
today. It has been many years since I rode out of Manhattan and to the
North. I seem to remember taking Broadway all the way up but I don't
remember. Any advice about how to get out of Manhattan on a trike would
be appreciated.

Thanks,

Jeff

From what I remember of Manhattan traffic you are going to have to
[...]

But as usual, Jeff get everything ass backwards. I mean, just how difficult
can it be to post the right way.

Old September 20th 05, 11:44 PM

Jeff Grippe wrote:

Your advice was (I assume) completely accurate and totally useless.

As was the generic subject line of your original post.
Old September 21st 05, 12:23 AM
skip

"Jeff Grippe" wrote in message
Well first of all there is a beautiful bike path along the Hudson river on
the west side. It goes almost all the way up Manhattan. If I had not
experienced a bike problem at 96th Street I would have riden it all the
way up. It is away from the road, patrolled, and free of traffic (other
than other bikes, hikers, roller blader, etc.)

snip

Jeff

Oh, that must be the bike road that William F. Buckley proposed when he ran
for Mayor way back when against John Linsay. Took a while for it to happen
I guess.

How is the traffic - the walkers, the joggers, the doggers, the bladers,
etc. High density or maybe something less?

I'm kind of curious if you are required to wear a business suit at work,
what you do about showers, and what kind of storage situation you have there
for the trike.

Urgent Advice Needed Jeff Grippe Rides 2 September 24th 05 12:10 AM
Rental advice needed for Anaheim, CA area John General 1 December 9th 03 10:30 PM
Rental advice needed for Anaheim, CA area John General 0 December 9th 03 03:34 AM
New Road bike advice needed.... Rob Woozle Australia 14 August 12th 03 01:53 AM
Long distance transportation advice needed Geoff G General 4 July 13th 03 04:16 PM