Aluminum bikes

Old July 4th 19, 04:14 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AK[_2_]

Default Aluminum bikes

I saw one of those fat tire bikes in the shop.

I was very surprised as to how light it was compared to my Huffy MB.

Was it made from aluminum?

On another topic about flat tire tips

I got a Microflate Nano tire inflator with a 20 gram cartridge.

I already had tire levers,spare tube and 15 mm wrench.

Have not had a flat in over 5 years.

What is the procedure for a rear tire flat?

Thanks,
Andy

Old July 4th 19, 05:00 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Wednesday, July 3, 2019 at 10:14:09 PM UTC-5, AK wrote:
I saw one of those fat tire bikes in the shop.

I was very surprised as to how light it was compared to my Huffy MB.

Was it made from aluminum?

On another topic about flat tire tips

I got a Microflate Nano tire inflator with a 20 gram cartridge.

I already had tire levers,spare tube and 15 mm wrench.

Have not had a flat in over 5 years.

What is the procedure for a rear tire flat?

Thanks,
Andy

Procedure for a rear tire flat???
1. Take wheel off bike. Quick release or 15mm wrench if its a single speed track hub.
2. Use tire levers to take tire off. Only one side of tire.
3. Pull tube out of tire.
4. Use PUMP to inflate tube and find the hole that is leaking.
5. Find that exact same spot on the tire and check the tire for the thorn, rock, truck tire wire that caused the flat. It might still be embedded in the bike tire and cause a replacement tube to go flat. That is a big no no of fixing flats. Not finding what caused the first flat and getting it out of the tire so the second tube does not also go flat.
6. Put a little air into the replacement tube with your PUMP. Just enough to give it some shape.
7. Put it into the tire and work the tire back onto the rim with your thumbs. Try not to use the levers to get the tire back onto the rim because you can pinch the new tube against the rim and put a hole into the new tube.
8. Inflate tube and reinstall on bike.
9. Continue ride.

I have never used those stupid inflating things so whatever.
Old July 4th 19, 06:01 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AK[_2_]

On Wednesday, July 3, 2019 at 11:00:06 PM UTC-5, wrote:
[...]

Pulling the tire off with the chain is not real simple.

Especially if you have no quick release.

What about repairing the tube in situ?

Andy
Old July 4th 19, 11:45 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Thursday, July 4, 2019 at 12:01:09 AM UTC-5, AK wrote:
[...]

You need to add a lot more detail. I do not even know what you mean.

Especially if you have no quick release.

As I mentioned in my first reply in point number 1. If you do not have quick release then use a wrench. 15mm is the nut size for track, single speed hubs. I would expect you to figure out what size nut your axle uses at home. Then carry that wrench with you when you ride the bike so you can get the wheel off and change a flat tire. Seems pretty simple.

What about repairing the tube in situ?

Yes that can be done. Just use your levers to pry the tire off. While the wheel is still bolted in the frame. Patch the tube. Either the instant patches sold by Park or others. Or use the old time tested bike patch kits. Rema I think was the brand. Or carry a couple patches, sandpaper, and a tube of glue. Personally I like to let my patched tubes sit in a clamp for 24 hours to be sure they stick. Can't do that if you are patching on the side of the road.

Andy

Old July 4th 19, 12:42 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

On Thursday, July 4, 2019 at 6:45:39 AM UTC-4, wrote:
[...]

I carry a spare tube so that if it's raining when I get a flat I don't have to worry about either the tube or the patch getting wet; nor do I have to worry about trying to find a difficult to find elusive pin hole in the tube.. I also added a bit of cotton wool to drag along the inside of the tire to snag on anything sharp that may have cause the puncture.

As far as getting the wheel off the bike goes if one has reward facing track ends; it's a lot easier to do if the chain is removed from the crank chainring first.

Cheers
Old July 8th 19, 07:58 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AK[_2_]

On Thursday, July 4, 2019 at 5:45:39 AM UTC-5, wrote:
[...]

I did not see any mention of how to find the leak. :-)

Suppose I could carry a small spray bottle of soapy water

Where I live, we have 90+ degree temps and high humidity.

May have to just call Uber, load my bike in his trunk, and call it a day.

Andy

I may get those Goodyear inner tubes which are much thicker.

They closed the Kemah bridge(Texas) to cyclists because of construction slated to take 5 years. It will be 12 lanes.

I miss going down the bridge at a rather high rate of speed even for a MTB.

Old July 8th 19, 09:30 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Monday, July 8, 2019 at 1:58:38 AM UTC-5, AK wrote:

I did not see any mention of how to find the leak. :-)

Suppose I could carry a small spray bottle of soapy water

The VAST MAJORITY of the time it is very easy to find a leak in a tube. You inflate it and hold it up to your ear and/or cheek. You will hear or feel the air coming out. ONLY in very rare instances do you need water and/or the soap bubbles to find a leak. And then its a very slow leak that you could easily get home riding. Just stop every couple miles and pump it up again. Its a very, very slow leak so will hold air for awhile.
Old July 4th 19, 05:00 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 7/4/2019 12:01 AM, AK wrote:
[...]

Peruse a few of these:
https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...le+flat+repair

Shift to outside sprocket in the rear.
Undo wheel fastener(s) (QR or nuts slack) then pull the rear
changer back away from the crank. This leaves plenty of
space to lift sprocket away from the chain.

All this is simpler and easier with bike upside down so you
can see what the hell you're doing and you won't run out of
hands.

People with some experience repairing punctures (me, for
example) eschew sneaking the tube out at one place as we
have no idea what the inside of the casing, the rim or the
rim liner looks like. Nobody likes flat tires but I
especially hate repeat flat tires.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old July 4th 19, 06:51 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tosspot[_3_]

On 04/07/2019 05:14, AK wrote:
I saw one of those fat tire bikes in the shop.

I was very surprised as to how light it was compared to my Huffy MB.

Was it made from aluminum?

On another topic about flat tire tips

I got a Microflate Nano tire inflator with a 20 gram cartridge.

I already had tire levers,spare tube and 15 mm wrench.

Have not had a flat in over 5 years.

What is the procedure for a rear tire flat?

Drop it onto the smallest cog at the rear. Turn it over, undo axle
nuts, unhook chain and remove rear wheel.

Fix the puncture.

When fitting the tyre back on make sure the bead is well into the rim
'well' or you will have troubles. Remount, inflate.

Old July 4th 19, 08:22 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Chalo

Sorry to hear about your Huffy.

Fatbikes are mostly air.

Aluminum [email protected] General 0 March 6th 08 01:02 PM
Titanium vs aluminum. ntappin Unicycling 17 September 6th 06 11:49 PM
Welding An Aluminum Rim Kenny Techniques 9 April 10th 05 12:05 AM
Aluminum Bar Ends [email protected] Marketplace 0 March 5th 05 11:44 PM
Old steel vs. new aluminum Beans Baxter General 28 June 3rd 04 08:55 PM