Chicago to Louisville Route?

Old July 1st 08, 04:14 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
ZBicyclist

Default Chicago to Louisville Route?

Anybody have a lead on a route from Chicago to Louisville, KY? (Or
maybe Chicago to Bloomington, IN to Louisville?). I can handle the
"getting out of Chicago" part fine, but could use advice on the
rest.

--
Mike Kruger

"viewed in retrospect, it is clear that it has been quite
predictable." (David Runciman)
"I'd only call it "predictable" if you actually predict it ahead of
time" (Andrew Gelman)

Old July 1st 08, 04:50 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Ron Wallenfang

On Jun 30, 10:14*pm, "ZBicyclist" wrote:
Anybody have a lead on a *route from Chicago to Louisville, KY? *(Or
maybe Chicago to Bloomington, IN to Louisville?). *I can handle the
"getting out of Chicago" part fine, but could use advice on the
rest.

--
Mike Kruger

On my 2005 ride, I crossed Indiana on 41/63, and found it good riding,
though that leaves you well west of Louisville. I'd hesitate to plan
a route to Louisville until I knew where I could cross the Ohio River,
which you can do on 41 south of Evansville, although I assume you can
do better than that relative to Louisville.
Old July 1st 08, 11:14 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Pat[_11_]

Anybody have a lead on a route from Chicago to Louisville, KY? (Or
maybe Chicago to Bloomington, IN to Louisville?). I can handle the
"getting out of Chicago" part fine, but could use advice on the rest.

--
Mike Kruger

Have you looked into www.adventurecycling.com and tried to find if any of
their maps might be of use to you?

Pat in TX

Old July 2nd 08, 01:42 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
ZBicyclist

Pat wrote:
Anybody have a lead on a route from Chicago to Louisville, KY?
(Or
maybe Chicago to Bloomington, IN to Louisville?). I can handle
the
"getting out of Chicago" part fine, but could use advice on the
rest.

--
Mike Kruger

Have you looked into www.adventurecycling.com and tried to find if
any of their maps might be of use to you?

Pat in TX

Nothing useful on Adventure Cycling. The routes in that part of the
country are going east-west, and I'm mostly going north-south.
http://www.adventurecycling.org/routes/network.cfm

Didn't find anything yet on crazyguyonabike.com

CIBA (Central Indiana Bicycling Assn) has a map of Indianapolis to
Louisville.
http://www.cibaride.org/index.php?op...28&Itemi d=49
I'm hopeful this will help with Ron W's question on where to cross
the Ohio River -- that's clearly the most important single segment.

There's also a link at the CIBA site to routes around Bloomington.
So, it might be possible to follow Ron's route 41/63 south out of
Chicago, find a Bloomington-centered route east, and then take the
end of the Indpls-Louisville route to Louisville. I've got time to
tweak it, but I feel better once I have at least one route that
looks favorable.

Old July 2nd 08, 03:46 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
old age pensioner

if it's still there (it was in 2002 when I rode it), you can bike across the
Ohio River on the George Rogers Clark Memorial Bridge, (Federal Highway Rt
31), between Clarksville IN and into downtown Louisville KY