Assuming it fits, best new or used road bike for $1000

Old July 3rd 08, 11:24 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.racing,rec.bicycles.marketplace
Jay Pique

Default Assuming it fits, best new or used road bike for $1000

I've done quite a bit of mountain biking, and have an old aluminum
Trek that I put smooth tires on for the road, but now I'm ready for a
real road bike. I'm looking for a good starter bike - it doesn't have
to weigh 14 pounds...or even 16 or 17 I guess. Is there a good online
resource for information on bikes? I've seen "road bike reviews" dot
com or something, but it looks pretty thin on actual reviews. How
about magazines - which ones would you recommend I scour for old bike
reviews?

My guess is that I'll look for a top pick in a 2003-2005 bike and try
to find one used on eBay or something. I dunno, I'm just starting my
research so any help is appreciated.

JP
Old July 4th 08, 07:18 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.racing,rec.bicycles.marketplace
Bret

On Jul 3, 4:24*pm, Jay Pique wrote:
I've done quite a bit of mountain biking, and have an old aluminum
Trek that I put smooth tires on for the road, but now I'm ready for a
real road bike. *I'm looking for a good starter bike - it doesn't have
to weigh 14 pounds...or even 16 or 17 I guess. *Is there a good online
resource for information on bikes? *I've seen "road bike reviews" dot
com or something, but it looks pretty thin on actual reviews. *How
about magazines - which ones would you recommend I scour for old bike
reviews?

My guess is that I'll look for a top pick in a 2003-2005 bike and try
to find one used on eBay or something. * I dunno, I'm just starting my
research so any help is appreciated.

JP

It's hard to buy a bad bike these days but I think you just might pull
it off.
Old July 4th 08, 12:50 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.racing,rec.bicycles.marketplace
Bill C

On Jul 4, 2:18*am, Bret wrote:

It's hard to buy a bad bike these days but I think you just might pull
it off.

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...uct_id=3663046

Bill C
Old July 4th 08, 01:03 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.racing
Tom Sherman[_2_]

Bill C wrote:
On Jul 4, 2:18 am, Bret wrote:

It's hard to buy a bad bike these days but I think you just might pull
it off.

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...uct_id=3663046

I see that they can still not spell "denial" properly.

Old July 4th 08, 02:12 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.racing,rec.bicycles.marketplace
Art Harris

Jay Pique wrote:
...I'm ready for a
real road bike. *I'm looking for a good starter bike - it doesn't have
to weigh 14 pounds...or even 16 or 17 I guess. *Is there a good online
resource for information on bikes? *I've seen "road bike reviews" dot
com or something, but it looks pretty thin on actual reviews. *How
about magazines - which ones would you recommend I scour for old bike
reviews?

What kind of riding? Short casual rides? Centuries? Fast club rides?
Will you need a triple crankset for steep hills?

An aluminum frame will give you the best bang for the buck, as will a
mid-level component group like Shimano 105.

I wouldn't put much faith in magazine reviews, nor in online reviews
unless there is a large sample size.

If this is your first road bike, make sure you undersatnd how to
select the right frame size, and how to adjust the fit properly. A
good bike shop can help with that.

Don't get too hung up on the bike's weight. 16 or 17 pounds seems very
light for a starter bike. Nothing wrong with a bike that's over 20
pounds. It's not going to make much difference unless you're racing,
and even then the difference will be slight. A sturdy frame, aluminum
components, and conventional wheels make a reliable bike.

Craigslist and eBay are good souces of used bikes if you know what you
want, and know how to evaluate a bike's condition.

Art Harris
Old July 4th 08, 03:16 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.racing,rec.bicycles.marketplace
Jay Pique

On Jul 4, 2:18*am, Bret wrote:

It's hard to buy a bad bike these days but I think you just might pull
it off.

Why so snotty?

JP
Old July 4th 08, 03:54 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.racing
Tom Sherman[_2_]

rec.bicycles.racing is a tough crowd. The regulars at rec.bicycle.misc
are generally more friendly (off-topic socio-political discussions
excluded).

Old July 4th 08, 04:26 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.racing,rec.bicycles.marketplace
Rodney Dunning

On Jul 4, 6:50*am, Bill C wrote:
On Jul 4, 2:18*am, Bret wrote:

It's hard to buy a bad bike these days but I think you just might pull
it off.

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...uct_id=3663046

Bill C

21 speeds? Does it have two chain rings and 10.5 cogs?

--
Rodney Dunning
Old July 4th 08, 05:30 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.racing,rec.bicycles.marketplace
landotter

On Jul 3, 5:24*pm, Jay Pique wrote:
I've done quite a bit of mountain biking, and have an old aluminum
Trek that I put smooth tires on for the road, but now I'm ready for a
real road bike. *

What are you going to be doing with it? What are the roads like where
you ride? How tall are you? How much do ya weigh? Do you like to take
along lots of **** in panniers..."road bike" is a broad category as is
the word "real".
Old July 4th 08, 09:33 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.racing,rec.bicycles.marketplace

On Jul 4, 7:16*am, Jay Pique wrote:
On Jul 4, 2:18*am, Bret wrote:

It's hard to buy a bad bike these days but I think you just might pull
it off.

Why so snotty?

JP

Hey JP, are you familiar with the concept of scoring coups?
Native Americans used to do it to fur trappers...ride up, smack them
with a big stick and ride away, heap big man.
Lots of heap big men in RBR.
Kind of makes you want to beat them in a bike race, doesn't it?

Bike, bike, bike, meow,
ABS

Best Road bike under $1000 (ideally $700)? Trevor Jakes Recumbent Biking 4 December 23rd 05 03:21 AM
Best Road bike under $1000 (ideally $700)? Trevor Jakes General 37 December 22nd 05 10:09 PM
WTB: 60cm road bike - $300-$1000 JB Marketplace 4 November 29th 05 10:04 PM
Road bike under $1000? Jeff General 10 July 20th 05 10:54 AM
FS Small Road Bike- Terry Prism, 17 ½ " , 45 cm frame, fits 4'8- 5'0 +/- GlenB Marketplace 0 February 1st 05 06:04 PM