Caliper Brakes: Nut vs Hex key

Old May 17th 07, 03:59 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Richard Bates

Default Caliper Brakes: Nut vs Hex key

Apart from the length of the bolt, is there any difference between
calipers that fix with nuts and those that fit with hexnut?

I'm pilfering parts from my sister's old bike and want to replace my
single pivot hex's with some dual pivot nutties. Apart from the slight
protrusion of bolt beyond what is needed, is there any safety reason why
I cannot swap these parts?
Old May 17th 07, 04:43 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Pete Biggs

Richard Bates wrote:
Apart from the length of the bolt, is there any difference between
calipers that fix with nuts and those that fit with hexnut?

I'm pilfering parts from my sister's old bike and want to replace my
single pivot hex's with some dual pivot nutties. Apart from the slight
protrusion of bolt beyond what is needed, is there any safety reason
why I cannot swap these parts?

Hex key brakes save carrying a spanner about, but there's no safety reason
why they can't be swapped for nutted ones as long as they can be done up
tight.

Might not be room for, or possible to get at, the conventional nut when used
on certain carbon forks with narrow deep recesses. I don't think you'll be
able to use recessed (hex key) nuts with "nutted" brakes, unless perhaps
using a rear brake as a front, or there's enough thread for them to b cut
down. A recessed nut can't be fully tightened if the bolt is too long.

~PB

Old May 17th 07, 04:53 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Pete Biggs

I wrote:
Might not be room for, or possible to get at, the conventional nut
when used on certain carbon forks with narrow deep recesses.

By "recess" there, I don't mean the hole for the recessed nut, but the area
surrounding it.

~PB

Old May 17th 07, 09:02 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Richard Bates

Pete Biggs wrote:

Richard Bates wrote:
I'm pilfering parts from my sister's old bike and want to replace my
single pivot hex's with some dual pivot nutties. Apart from the slight

Hex key brakes save carrying a spanner about, but there's no safety reason
why they can't be swapped for nutted ones as long as they can be done up
tight.

.... And they work like a dream. Exage 300 is so much nicer than NoName.
Springs are less stiff too so hopefully the middle finger on my right
hand (front brake) will stop hurting.

Caliper Brake Toe in andy Techniques 1 July 11th 06 07:03 AM
WTB shimano R600 long-reach (57 mm) caliper brakes [email protected] Marketplace 0 February 16th 06 09:08 PM
Caliper road brakes and direct pull cantilever levers Earthstick Techniques 30 February 8th 06 02:19 AM
Linear pull caliper brakes Peter B UK 5 July 3rd 05 08:32 AM
WTB: Caliper brakes &/or Adjusting Barrels JA Marketplace 0 November 19th 04 10:14 PM