Karapoti '08. An invitation to race the worlds toughest MUni race

Old January 6th 08, 01:48 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
GizmoDuck

Default Karapoti '08. An invitation to race the worlds toughest MUni race

Hi Everyone,

Just a reminder that the worlds oldest and toughest unicycle race is
only 2 months away. It's 50km of hellish fun:
www.karapoti.co.nz

The Karapoti Classic has had a Unicycle Category since 2003, and we've
had unicyclists taking part every year since then. It's 50km of gut
busting climbs, white knuckle descents, wheel eating mud, gnarly rock
gardens, river crossings and more. Come see how we do it in New
Zealand!

If you're coming from overseas I'll pay your registration fee

Ken Looi

--
GizmoDuck

The Uninam Tour 2008.....Hanoi to Saigon!!! www.uninam.net

The Monguni 2009....Unicycle Tour of Mongolia

Email me for details.
http://www.usenet.com
Old January 6th 08, 02:08 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
saskatchewanian

The promo vid almost made me to bet back on a bike

That looks like it would be a grueling fun time, what do most people
(unicyclists) ride 29ers? This could be a place where the new geared
MUni hub could really shine.

edit: unfortunately even if I could afford to go to NZ I have a class
trip at that time that I really can't miss.

--
saskatchewanian
http://www.usenet.com
Old January 6th 08, 02:32 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Unibugg

Wow....

I don't have enough years to live to ever get that good.
Not even in a dream.

Unreal.

--
Unibugg

johnfoss wrote:
If riding the unicycle seems impossible at first, that only proves
you're human.

http://www.usenet.com
Old January 6th 08, 04:48 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Borgschulze

That promo video didn't look very competitive...?

One spot I noticed a guy slowly rolling with his brakes nearly locked
going down some medium sized rocks... I think he needs to invest in
some bigger tires.

--
Borgschulze

'deviantART'
(http://borgschulze.deviantart.com/)'Gravity'
(http://videos.observedtrials.net/Gravity.wmv) is -not- the
issue.
http://www.usenet.com
Old January 7th 08, 11:20 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
GizmoDuck

Saskatchewanian, yep, it's probably a 29'er or 26'er course. It
probably will be faster on a 29'er GUni especially the first and last
sections which is pretty flat.

Borgschulze, the race is in the top 10 rated by Velonews. We've had
many of the top 10 MTBkers in the world, a couple of world champions,
and an Olympic Silver medalist who've raced it. They've all said it's
one of the toughest courses in they've raced.

I forgot to add, $1000 to the first rider that breaks 4hrs on a
unicycle.

Cheers,

Ken

Old January 7th 08, 11:51 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Borgschulze

GizmoDuck wrote:
Borgschulze, the race is in the top 10 rated by Velonews. We've had
many of the top 10 MTBkers in the world, a couple of world champions,
and an Olympic Silver medalist who've raced it. They've all said it's
one of the toughest courses in they've raced.

Oh yeah, I forgot how cameras make stuff look easier than it actually
is, especially slopes.

Old January 8th 08, 12:51 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
redwelly

Gutted, it's in the wrong hemisphere (whichever way you split it!).
Looks like fun.

It's nice that they give you a proper catagory, but maybe you should
let them know that uni-cycle is one word.

Sam

--
redwelly
http://www.usenet.com
Old January 8th 08, 10:45 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
joemarshall

I rode it geared 29er last year. The gears were worth it for a couple of
sections at the start and end, but extra weight for the (really quite)
big climbs in the middle. I reckon I'd have been faster on a non-geared
29 or 26. I think potentially a geared 24 could be the right thing, as
you'd be able to ride a lot more of the climbs and the rocky sections,
but still be able to spin out on the easier sections.

I think it's the third toughest race I've done. Strathpuffer was harder
in every way, more technical course, longer distance and more climbing,
and solo Mountain Mayhem was a bit hard too. It is quite hard though, I
was knacked at the end, and I was super slow. The bits with the rocks
are really quite technical whatever it looks like in the video, steep,
damp, and the drops are surprisingly big, some people were hammering it
over them unbelievably fast, but a lot of riders were walking sections
of the rock garden.

Joe

--
joemarshall

my pics http://gallery.unicyclist.com/albuq44
http://www.usenet.com
Old January 9th 08, 04:31 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
GizmoDuck

joemarshall wrote:
[...]

I think I'd be slightly faster on a geared 29'er, but I like my fixie
just as much. Hopefully my Ti Uni will be ready in time for this years
event.

Regards it being the toughest race...I found the 24hr events harder,
but it's the hardest "unicycle race" I'm aware of. As in it is the
only race with a specific category for unicycles, not just mountainbike
races where unicyclists enter. The only other one that's as hard is
probably the Hidden Vale Epic in Brisbane. It's 106km but the course
is not difficult. But the weather is really hot which makes it quite
tough.

Just to encourage overseas riders to attend, it's $2000 for going under
4hrs on a unicycle and $1000 for beating the unicycle course record
4hrs11min.

Ken