Standing at stops still clipped rather than duckwalking

Old March 11th 05, 05:46 PM
Craig Brossman

Tom Sherman wrote:
Tom Keats wrote:

Should I just accept that I will fall a few times if I try to learn
that?

I don't see why anyone should fall by uncoupling one cleat/pedal....

Just don't lean in the direction of the clipped in foot!

I found that when learning to use clipless on the mtn bike, I made this
mistake often, and when I was not skilled at unclipping, could not
recover. I don't think it is uncommon.
Unclip both until you can do panic unclips easily.

--
Craig Brossman, Durango Colorado
remove "mydebt" to reply
Old March 11th 05, 08:45 PM
Neil Cherry

On Fri, 11 Mar 2005 16:56:30 -0000, wafflycat wrote:

"Roger Daniel Pease" wrote in message
I've been cycling for almost a year now. Right now I stop by unclipping
both pedals while remaining on the seat and letting my two feet balance me
when I reach a complete stop. If I need to move I 'duckwalk'.

A lot of riders I've seen will keep one foot clipped in and stand over
their bike (unseated) while stopped. Is that an easy habit to get into?
Should I just accept that I will fall a few times if I try to learn that?
Any suggestions for ways to master that habit?

Thanks,

Roger

I always stop with one foot unclipped (right foot) and the other (left foot)
still clipped in. It's automatic for me to do that.

Which foot, right or left (and what style of driving UK or the rest of
the worl).

On the back roads I ride on I unclip the left by instinct (US roads
and I'm a righty by birth). I find that others I ride with unclip the
right. Some of the roads I ride are so bad that you unclip with the
right you end up in the drainage ditch. Several feet below the road
level.

--
Linux Home Automation Neil Cherry
http://home.comcast.net/~ncherry/ (Text only)
Old March 12th 05, 12:52 AM
Tom Sherman

B i l l S o r n s o n wrote:

rdclark wrote:

Claire Petersky wrote:

"Zoot Katz" wrote in message

Thu, 10 Mar 2005 17:03:40 -0800, ,
"Claire Petersky" wrote:

"Tom Sherman" wrote in message

I have to remind myself not to unclip when riding the trike.

Heck, I've twisted my foot to "unclip" from the car accelerator.

I've bumped my head on the steering wheel reaching for a toe strap.

When I made it in my car to the top of the hill I usually go up to
get to work, I started to rummage around the passenger seat, looking
for my water bottle.

I become disoriented when my car's side mirror doesn't move when I
turn my head. And my eyes look up and to the left when I hear another
pedestrian behind me on the sidewalk.

When I drive over a pothole, I sometimes start to point down with my right
hand to warn those behind me.

I also try to use "body english" once in a while when a tricky automotive
maneuver presents itself.

Neither has proven particularly effective.

Your passengers think you are REALLY weird when you yell "Car Back" or
"Gravel".

--
Tom Sherman - Earth

Old March 12th 05, 02:44 AM
RonSonic

On Fri, 11 Mar 2005 12:13:54 -0500, jj wrote:

On Sat, 12 Mar 2005 06:50:25 -0800, "Claire Petersky"
wrote:

"Zoot Katz" wrote in message
. ..
Thu, 10 Mar 2005 17:03:40 -0800, ,
"Claire Petersky" wrote:

"Tom Sherman" wrote in message

I have to remind myself not to unclip when riding the trike.

Heck, I've twisted my foot to "unclip" from the car accelerator.

I've bumped my head on the steering wheel reaching for a toe strap.

When I made it in my car to the top of the hill I usually go up to get to
work, I started to rummage around the passenger seat, looking for my water
bottle.

I keep mine in the back pockets of my cycling jersey. It's mildly
uncomfortable because the car seat back makes it dig into my kidneys a
little. I figure no pain, no gain. ;-)

Worst thing for the car is when I forget to upshift because I don't feel spun
out yet.

Ron
Old March 12th 05, 09:06 AM
wafflycat

"Neil Cherry" wrote in message

I always stop with one foot unclipped (right foot) and the other (left
foot)
still clipped in. It's automatic for me to do that.

Which foot, right or left (and what style of driving UK or the rest of
the worl).

Thought I'd put that - see above I unclip the right foot & leave the left
one clipped in. I do this whether I'm in the UK where we drive on the left,
so cycle on the left or on mainland Europe where they drive/cycle on the
right-hand side of the road.

Cheers, helen s

Old March 12th 05, 01:26 PM
Peter Cole

Depends somewhat on your bottom bracket height. Touring frames tend to
have low BB's, 'cross bikes high.

Old March 12th 05, 02:06 PM
Neil Cherry

On Sat, 12 Mar 2005 09:06:46 -0000, wafflycat wrote:

"Neil Cherry" wrote in message

I always stop with one foot unclipped (right foot) and the other (left
foot)
still clipped in. It's automatic for me to do that.

Which foot, right or left (and what style of driving UK or the rest of
the worl).

Thought I'd put that - see above I unclip the right foot & leave the left
one clipped in. I do this whether I'm in the UK where we drive on the left,
so cycle on the left or on mainland Europe where they drive/cycle on the
right-hand side of the road.

Hmm, seemed to ahve missed that didn't I. :-) If you ever head over
this way and end up riding our back roads be careful not to unclip
just the right foot. If you attempt to step down you will flip
over. These roads are wickedly crowned. You'll know them when you
ride on them. I'm sure a few other NJ cyclist have experienced
this. We have a few other road oddities that have probably made
people go hmm. Like hills with plateus that have a lip on the downward
side (for horse drawn carts). :-)

Old March 12th 05, 02:50 PM
Claire Petersky

"Zoot Katz" wrote in message
Thu, 10 Mar 2005 17:03:40 -0800, ,
"Claire Petersky" wrote:

"Tom Sherman" wrote in message

I have to remind myself not to unclip when riding the trike.

Heck, I've twisted my foot to "unclip" from the car accelerator.

I've bumped my head on the steering wheel reaching for a toe strap.

When I made it in my car to the top of the hill I usually go up to get to
work, I started to rummage around the passenger seat, looking for my water
bottle.

--
Warm Regards,

Claire Petersky
Home of the meditative cyclist:
See the books I've set free at:

Old March 12th 05, 06:34 PM
Rich Clark

"Peter Cole" wrote in message
ups.com...
Depends somewhat on your bottom bracket height. Touring frames tend to
have low BB's, 'cross bikes high.

Even on a touring bike.

RichC

Old March 12th 05, 07:08 PM
jj

On Fri, 11 Mar 2005 16:56:30 -0000, "wafflycat" wafflesATv21netDOTcoDOTuk
wrote:

"Roger Daniel Pease" wrote in message
I've been cycling for almost a year now. Right now I stop by unclipping
both pedals while remaining on the seat and letting my two feet balance me
when I reach a complete stop. If I need to move I 'duckwalk'.

A lot of riders I've seen will keep one foot clipped in and stand over
their bike (unseated) while stopped. Is that an easy habit to get into?
Should I just accept that I will fall a few times if I try to learn that?
Any suggestions for ways to master that habit?

Thanks,

Roger

I always stop with one foot unclipped (right foot) and the other (left foot)
still clipped in. It's automatic for me to do that.

Cheers, helen s

One little trick is to be sure you bring the bike to a complete stop before
you touch down. I always unclip the right foot about 2-3 seconds before I
stop, turn the handlebars slightly to the left, which tilts the bike to the
right, iirc, and then just just further lean the bike to the right and
touch down and then dismount. I'm not that great a bike handler, and I've
never fallen due to unclipping just one foot. Make it a practice to stop
besides a grassy spot on your left just in case the bike fools you and
starts to tip to the left accidently. Oh, and always use the same foot to
unclip and touch down. That will eventually make it automatic.

jj

Romoving Downtube Shifter Cable Stops mike_stay Techniques 0 September 2nd 04 07:51 PM
Down tube stops Bob Wheeler Techniques 3 August 18th 04 03:02 AM
What am I doing wrong? (Pedalling while standing up) Burning_Ranger UK 10 August 9th 04 04:48 PM
Fell off clipped in (or how to make a prat of yourself). Peter B UK 19 October 17th 03 03:26 PM
Standing while climbing bad? Destroy Mountain Biking 20 August 6th 03 04:14 PM