Mountain vs Road Biking

Old March 12th 05, 04:15 AM
Tom Keats

In article ,
Tom Sherman writes:

However, you are supposed to
donate some blood when you ride off-road, otherwise you are not trying
hard enough.

Or at least toil, sweat & tears.

There comes a point where taking on challenges
blends into something approaching masochism.

Riding easy on pavement ain't so kinkily weird.
That by itself has an appealing comfort to it,
don't it? :-)

Tell ya what, though -- after a couple of tough-slogging
off-road hill climbs, hitting the streets & roads becomes
so much a treat. I don't know why it is, but cars get
the bunny grades on the arterial city streets, and
designated bike routes get the most difficult terrain,
and the worst pavement imaginable. Fortunately for me
and fellow Vancouver cyclists, there are plenty of streets
that fit neither category. We can slip between the cracks,
so to speak. Better yet, we can emerge from them, too.

cheers,
Tom

--
-- Nothing is safe from me.
Above address is just a spam midden.
Old March 12th 05, 01:51 PM
Neil Cherry

On Fri, 11 Mar 2005 21:30:44 -0600, Tom Sherman wrote:
Neil Cherry wrote:

BTW, if you don't need to be hosed down after riding a MTB (or
cyclecross) it was a boring ride. :-)

I am going to tell Mikey V that you are causing soil erosion! He will
sic one of his trained mountain lions on you, and you will end up as cat
food!

Hey has anyone ever seen Mikey V and Mikey Jackson together ever ... ?
;-)

In all seriousness, many MTB trails should not be ridden when wet, as
excessive damage to the trail often occurs. However, you are supposed to
donate some blood when you ride off-road, otherwise you are not trying
hard enough.

While I plead guilty, I can expalin (honest). I live in NJ it's mostly
swamp land. ;-)

The erosion problems in the area where I've ridden (in the past) have
been cause by local sewer drain not the cyclist. Except for one spot
in Thompson Park, Monroe Twp, NJ. That had a huge erosion problem
caused by one trail. That's where I busted my shoulder a few years ago
when I attempted to jump a huge rut and my back wheel caught the edge
(on a downhill). I did a wonderful impression of Evil Kenevil amking a
bad landing.

--
Linux Home Automation Neil Cherry
http://home.comcast.net/~ncherry/ (Text only)
Old March 12th 05, 04:41 PM
Mark Hickey

Tom Sherman wrote:

...you are supposed to
donate some blood when you ride off-road, otherwise you are not trying
hard enough.

Funny thing about that... I can remember lots o' crashes in the past
that didn't result in any blood loss. However, riding in Arizona is a
different matter. There's no place to crash that doesn't have
something sharp or pointy on it - just about every time you go down,
you get back on the bike bleeding at least a little.

Mark "paradise does come at a price" Hickey
Habanero Cycles
http://www.habcycles.com
Home of the $695 ti frame
Old March 13th 05, 12:51 AM
JP

I bought the MTB first. Goes anywhere.
Then bought the road bike for longer road rides.
I'd do it the same way again.

IMHO FWIW YMMV
JP

"Tom Sherman" wrote in message
Neil Cherry wrote:

BTW, if you don't need to be hosed down after riding a MTB (or
cyclecross) it was a boring ride. :-)

I am going to tell Mikey V that you are causing soil erosion! He will
sic one of his trained mountain lions on you, and you will end up as cat
food!

In all seriousness, many MTB trails should not be ridden when wet, as
excessive damage to the trail often occurs. However, you are supposed to
donate some blood when you ride off-road, otherwise you are not trying
hard enough.

--
Tom Sherman - Earth