Dreadful bikes, awful bikes, triage and maintenance

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old July 21st 05, 02:49 PM
Simon Brooke

Default Dreadful bikes, awful bikes, triage and maintenance

Earlier this week I reported on a dreadful Tescos bike which I'd done
some post delivery set-up on. The proud owner of said bike had a
Halfords Apollo - also a Y frame 'full suspension' job - which he'd
out-grown, and his mother asked me whether it was worth salvaging or
whether she should just bin it. Well, it was a lot better than the new
one (although I tactfully didn't say so) so I volunteered to bring it
home and give it an overhaul to be ready for his younger sister.

The Apollo isn't dreadful. It has a decent crankset, reasonable brakes,
and the derailleurs, though bottom of the range, are Shimano. The wheels
are reasonably good and are true.

OK, so, to overhaul it

New set gear cables £10
New set brake cables £10
1 inner tube £ 4
1 new rim tape £ 0.50p
New grips £ 6
New saddle £15 (I actually spent £30 on a good one)
Chain, PC48, with magic link £10

.... ideally it could use two new tyres, £10 each; and for cosmetic
reasons I'd like to replace the brake noodles, £2.50 each. You're
getting frighteningly close to the price a dreadful bike costs new.

Now, of course, these are retail prices. I'm sure Sandy could do that
overhaul for half the price or less. And the replacement parts are
decent quality, not the very cheapest. At the end of the day the little
sister is going to get a bike which actually is better than her
brother's new one. But it won't /look/ better. It will /look/ second
hand. And it won't be /much/ better.

Having done this I'm getting a better understanding both of why people
buy dreadful bikes, and why you see half-decent bikes in the skips at
the council dump.

;; no eternal reward will forgive us now for wasting the dawn.
;; Jim Morrison