Torque wrenches

Old April 15th 06, 04:58 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default Torque wrenches

I don't have a torque wrench and I had to make a few adjustments on my
carbon frame to my:
1) carbon seat post height - it kept slipping until I tightened it to a
point where it stopped slipping. I am concerned that it is over the
specification. Will it turn up with problems over time or can I be assured
if it didn't do damage to the seat tube immediately, it won't develop in
future
2) clamp on derailleur which was too high so I lowered it to the proper
height. I counted the turns to loosen the clamp on the seat tube to use
when I tightened it back. However, since I do not trust that the guys who
put this together at the LBS used a torque wrench, I have the same question
for the derailleur clamp as I have for the seat post clamp. There are no
current problems but it the clamp was pretty tight and made me nervous. Any
ongoing risk at this point to damage over time?

BTW, does anyone have a good recommendation for a torque wrench. The Park
TW-1 only goes from 0-60 inch pounds while I have some specs for 80 to 90
inch pounds. The TW-2 goes from 0-600 inch pounds and seems like fine
tuning at 70-80 inch pounds might be too hard to achieve. Any suggestions?

Old April 15th 06, 12:23 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Per KnowWhen2HoldemKnowWhen2Foldem:
The TW-2 goes from 0-600 inch pounds and seems like fine
tuning at 70-80 inch pounds might be too hard to achieve. Any suggestions?

I like having two. The little one goes from zero to something like 14 inch
pounds and the big one goes somewhere beyond 50 nm.
--
PeteCresswell
Old April 15th 06, 02:16 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Per (PeteCresswell):
14 inch

oops... shb 140
--
PeteCresswell
Old April 15th 06, 02:52 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Fri, 14 Apr 2006 23:58:16 -0400, "KnowWhen2HoldemKnowWhen2Foldem"
wrote:

[...]

Hi, check out Sears, they may have a Craftsman model that will work
for you. I use a Craftsman that I have had for the last 30 years.

Life is Good!
Jeff
Old April 15th 06, 05:54 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Jeff Starr wrote in
:
Hi, check out Sears, they may have a Craftsman model that will work
for you. I use a Craftsman that I have had for the last 30 years.

The Sears Craftsman torque wrenches look identical to the ones sold by Park,
except that Sears charges 30% less.
Old April 15th 06, 06:31 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Ken wrote:
The Sears Craftsman torque wrenches look identical to the ones sold by Park,
except that Sears charges 30% less.

Forget both of those, this is what REAL mechanics use:

http://sheldonbrown.com/tork-grip.html

--
K.
Old April 15th 06, 07:18 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Ken wrote:
Jeff Starr wrote in
:
Hi, check out Sears, they may have a Craftsman model that will work
for you. I use a Craftsman that I have had for the last 30 years.

The Sears Craftsman torque wrenches look identical to the ones sold by Park,
except that Sears charges 30% less.

Does sears carry the smaller one like the tw-1? I have looked, but have
been unable to locate this one.

-nate

Old April 15th 06, 08:02 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

"Llatikcuf" wrote in
oups.com:
Does sears carry the smaller one like the tw-1? I have looked, but have
been unable to locate this one.

They used to. I haven't looked recently.
Old April 15th 06, 08:34 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

If you can make an "extension" for the 60 inch-lb torque wrench, it can be
made to cover a higher range. One way to do this would be to alter a
socket/ratchet extension so it places the socket a known distance beyond the
end of the torque wrench. Then multiply all readings by the ratio of the
combined length (extension + torque wrench) to the original torque wrench
length.

Old April 15th 06, 08:38 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Király wrote:
Ken wrote:
The Sears Craftsman torque wrenches look identical to the ones sold by Park,
except that Sears charges 30% less.

Forget both of those, this is what REAL mechanics use:

http://sheldonbrown.com/tork-grip.html

--

Hah! Torque wrenches and all those other fancy tools are put near the
front of the shop to impress the customers. Here's what is really used,

http://tinyurl.com/k7ogp

;-)

Hex wrenches to fit torque wrench tlarwa Techniques 9 September 22nd 05 01:18 AM
Easton EA70 stem AC Techniques 10 November 17th 04 07:00 AM
Torque wrenches Paul Davis Techniques 123 April 18th 04 06:10 AM
Torque Wrenches MSeries UK 15 February 17th 04 12:13 AM
Recommended torque wrenches? Kovie Techniques 8 November 1st 03 06:47 PM