One down, one to go!

Old May 4th 11, 05:31 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Scott

Default One down, one to go!

On May 3, 8:07*pm, RicodJour wrote:
On May 3, 12:20*pm, Scott wrote:

On May 3, 9:08*am, RicodJour wrote:
On May 3, 9:39*am, Fred wrote:
On May 3, 7:36*am, RicodJour wrote:
On May 3, 8:56*am, Fred wrote:
On May 1, 10:39*pm, Substance McGravitas wrote:
On 5/1/2011 9:12 PM, Fred wrote:
On May 1, 9:54 pm, Substance *wrote:

Got one:http://abcnews.go.com/Blotter/osama-...ory?id=1350570...

Now, if we can just bring LA to justice!

STFU

It didn't occur to me that the comparison between OBL and LA might not
be obvious to some of the slower RBR readers.

What didn't occur to your dumb ass is that some topics are of such
grave seriousness that they should not be the subject of humor. *And
no, I'm not talking about LA.

The difference between tragedy and a good joke is usually time. *OBL
dying isn't exactly the Holocaust, and it's already been a decade
since he did most of his 'work', so there is some distance.

If you think it's been a decade since he's been relevant, you're
either naive or just stupid.

You chose the word relevant - question is, how relevant and to whom.
If OBL were still largely relevant there would have been a much bigger
outcry, sworn vengeance videos and stuff like that. *Muslim and Arab
countries have been strangely quiet about it. *He was unfinished
business for the US, and it was a point of pride to take him out. *It
doesn't mean that everything is finished or there won't be other stuff
to deal with. *There will.

As far as the sensitivity thing - did you know anyone or lose anyone
in 9/11?

Don't know a soul from 9/11. *Not important. Just don't think the
killing of OBL is an appropriate topic for humor.

Not important. *Hmm...you get to decide what is and what is not
relevant - without consideration for my views on the matter. *I'm not
sure I agree with that. *Let me check...nope, I sure don't. *Sorry.

Sorry, let me explain. I didn't mean to discount your views. I was
speaking solely for me. I don't know a soul who was killed on 9/11.
It is not important to me (not saying it's not important to you or
others) to have known anyone killed on 9/11 to feel that the topic of
killing OBL is inappropriate humor. I am absolutely glad he's dead,
but I'm not celebrating. There's still too much heavy lifting to do.

I'm a veteran myself and I've worked with/for veterans for the last
decade and I work w/ wounded warriors every damn day. Just about a
month ago, for example, I met a guy in his mid-20s who had served in
the very same infantry company I'd served in over 30 years ago. I'm
doing okay, but he's not doing so well. His story is far too common,
and it breaks my heart. So, yeah, I don't find the humor in any of
this. YMMV.

Old May 4th 11, 09:44 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Simply Fred

On 05/02/11 05:54, Substance McGravitas wrote:
http://abcnews.go.com/Blotter/osama-...0e f3c4cf%2C0

Its all a conspiracy to cover up the fact that he was killed by an
exploding fork (an amerikan fork, not one from taiwan).

Old May 4th 11, 02:43 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Anton Berlin

On 5/1/2011 9:12 PM, Fred wrote:
[...]

Sunday night I turned to my girlfriend and asked her "Is there any
difference between Americans dancing in the streets tonight and those
celebrations in the middle east almost 10 years ago?"

No - the dynamic is the same.

Monday AM a colleague came seeking approval for the Osama death - I
told him I was initially pleased that Osama was dead but embarrassed
by the American celebrations - we're better than that.

"One down" is correct but this is a hydra. Fed by American policy and
American greed.

We will continue to see this for some time.
Old May 4th 11, 05:38 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
RonSonic

"Vagina Gorilla" wrote in message

On 5/1/2011 9:12 PM, Fred wrote:
[...]

I know a guy that claimed to and when I brought in the next day the
NYT's book that was a collection of obituaries he couldn't come up
with a name.

Really? You did that?

Wow.

I get calling out a bull****ter, great sport.

Sometimes though I am surprised when what I thought was just on-line persona
syndrome turns out to be just the way someone is.

Old May 4th 11, 05:51 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Substance McGravitas

:
: Now, if we can just bring LA to justice!
:
: STFU
:
: It didn't occur to me that the comparison between OBL and LA might not
: be obvious to some of the slower RBR readers.
:
: - OBL was pursued for almost 10 years before being caught.
: - Lafferty's been after LANCE longer than that.
:
: - The men pursuing OBL did so at great personal sacrifice.
: - Lafferty has sacrificed his job and his sanity to the pursuit of LA.
:
: - OBL perpetrated the largest terrorist attack in US history.
: - LA perpetrated the greatest fraud in sporting history.
:
: - OBL .. nah, I think I'll save some for later.
:
: If you need more, just give me another STFU and I'll be happy to oblige.

Dumbass -

Please don't STFU, I think it's funny, especially the Laff references.

I thought it was OK, but not necessarily my best work. When it offended
Fred G.'s tender sensibilities, THEN it got funny.

Old May 4th 11, 06:18 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Fred Flintstein

Default 1. ObL

"Substance wrote in message
: On 5/1/2011 9:12 PM, Fred wrote:
[...]

Dumbass,

If you want to offend people the thing to do is put results
in the header.

Fred Flintstein
Old May 4th 11, 08:10 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Frederick the Great

In article ,

"Substance wrote in message
: On 5/1/2011 9:12 PM, Fred wrote:
[...]

You are the one who will not mind his own delicate sensibilities.

"It won't get better if you keep picking at it."
--Mom

--
Old Fritz
Old May 5th 11, 01:20 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Substance McGravitas

On 5/4/2011 12:10 PM, Frederick the Great wrote:

You are the one who will not mind his own delicate sensibilities.

You lost me here. Is this because I'm ragging on LA, because I'm ragging
on Lafferty, because I joked about OBL, or because I'm laughing at the
"Someone said something offensive in RBR!"-ness of it all?

You missed one, though. My tender sensibilities are also offended by
those who can't quite manage to complete a
Old May 5th 11, 07:04 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Simply Fred

Fred Flintstein wrote:
If you want to offend people the thing to do is put results
in the header.

Didn't Bush make it onto the podium ? He must be the next Hincapie.