Campy 9 speed wheelsets

Old October 4th 04, 05:38 PM
Andrew Hall

Default Campy 9 speed wheelsets

Hello!
I have a few questions that hopefully the Campy Experts on these
groups can help me out on:

My winter training bike is a mid-90s CroMoly frame Bianchi I upgraded
with Campy triple Racing T and newer Veloce 9 speed shifters. The
cassette/rear hub is the original 8 speed and works OK with the 9
speed shifters, I just have that extra "click". My other bike
(Kestrel Talon) also has Campy triple Racing T and Centaur 9 speed
shifters and I hope to eventually get a pair of Zipp 404 carbon wheels
to race with on this bike.

Ultimately, I would like to have 9-speed cassettes on both wheelsets
so that I could swap wheelsets between bikes. That's where my
question comes in as far as advice on how to do this. The 8 speed
gears on my current wheel has 8 notches to slide the gear onto the
splines on the hub (I think it is called the EXA-Drive system). From
pictures I have seen, it looks like newer 9 speed cassettes have a
different spline pattern than the 8 speed. I can't tell from the
photos whether these 9 speed cassettes would work on my 8 speed hub.
Do I need to replace the 8 speed hub to work with all 9 speed
cassettes? Are there different spline patterns between the different
Campy 9 speed cassettes (e.g., Veloce and Chorus)? Zipp's website
says that the 404 wheels are compatabile with all Campy 9 and 10 speed
systems, so I definitely want to make sure I get the right cassette(s)
to use on these wheels. The cassette I am seriously considering for
its low range gearing is the Veloce 9 speed 13x28.

Thanks in advance for your help and advice!
Andrew Hall
Lancaster, OH
Old October 4th 04, 08:46 PM
A.Lee

On Mon, 04 Oct 2004 09:38:53 -0700, Andrew Hall wrote:

My winter training bike is a mid-90s CroMoly frame Bianchi I upgraded
with Campy triple Racing T and newer Veloce 9 speed shifters.

Snip using Campy 9 speed cassette on 8 sp hub.

It is not a straight fit on.
People will say it is possible by filing away some bits on the
hub/cassette,and it is then held on the hub by about 2 turns on the lock
nut(the 9sp is lightly wider) - but is that really worth it?
Another way is if you can get an older (yr 2000?) 9sp rear hub, you can
take off the freewheel/freehub from that, and fit it to the 8sp wheel, and
you then have a 9sp wheel.
It may be more cost effective to just get a new wheel built up in place of
the old one.
All 9 and 10 sp campy cassettes have the same spline pattern, so there are
no problems with swapping between wheels.
Alan.

http://www.dvatc.co.uk - Off-road cycling in the North Midlands.

Old October 4th 04, 09:37 PM
Drew Eckhardt

In article ,
Andrew Hall wrote:
I can't tell from the
photos whether these 9 speed cassettes would work on my 8 speed hub.
Do I need to replace the 8 speed hub to work with all 9 speed
cassettes?

The 9 speed splines share the outside diameter but have a smaller inside
diameter so they won't fit on an 8-speed freehub. Campagnolo built 9-speed
frehubs which fit the old hubs (I swapped my Chorus 8 speed parts for
Record-Ti 9-speed) although they're getting scarce (and therefore
expensive - say $100 for a Chorus/Record part).

Are there different spline patterns between the different
Campy 9 speed cassettes (e.g., Veloce and Chorus)?

No.

--
a href="http://www.poohsticks.org/drew/"Home Page/a
Life is a terminal sexually transmitted disease.

Old October 5th 04, 02:02 PM
Qui si parla Campagnolo

hall- The 8 speed
gears on my current wheel has 8 notches to slide the gear onto the
splines on the hub (I think it is called the EXA-Drive system). From
pictures I have seen, it looks like newer 9 speed cassettes have a
different spline pattern than the 8 speed. I can't tell from the
photos whether these 9 speed cassettes would work on my 8 speed hub.
Do I need to replace the 8 speed hub to work with all 9 speed
cassettes? Are there different spline patterns between the different
Campy 9 speed cassettes (e.g., Veloce and Chorus)?

To use a 9 or 10s casette you need a 9 or 10s compatible freehub body so yes,
you need to make the 8s wheel 9/10s compatible. You may be able to find a
freehub body if the 8s hub is a Veloce with cart bearings. If not, may be tough
to find...or build a new rear wheel using a modern Campagnolo hub.

Peter Chisholm
Vecchio's Bicicletteria
1833 Pearl St.
Boulder, CO, 80302