Standing at stops still clipped rather than duckwalking

Old March 9th 05, 09:13 PM
Roger Daniel Pease

Default Standing at stops still clipped rather than duckwalking

I've been cycling for almost a year now. Right now I stop by unclipping
both pedals while remaining on the seat and letting my two feet balance
me when I reach a complete stop. If I need to move I 'duckwalk'.

A lot of riders I've seen will keep one foot clipped in and stand over
their bike (unseated) while stopped. Is that an easy habit to get into?
Should I just accept that I will fall a few times if I try to learn
that? Any suggestions for ways to master that habit?

Thanks,

Roger
Old March 9th 05, 09:51 PM
Tom Keats

In article ,
Roger Daniel Pease writes:
I've been cycling for almost a year now. Right now I stop by unclipping
both pedals while remaining on the seat and letting my two feet balance
me when I reach a complete stop. If I need to move I 'duckwalk'.

A lot of riders I've seen will keep one foot clipped in and stand over
their bike (unseated) while stopped. Is that an easy habit to get into?

That's how I've always done it (only with toeclips these days),
but it really should be quite easy. In fact, probably easier
than having to reconnect to both pedals at once on the fly.

Should I just accept that I will fall a few times if I try to learn
that?

I don't see why anyone should fall by uncoupling one cleat/pedal.

Any suggestions for ways to master that habit?

If you're having trouble lifting off the saddle, you could
practice standing on the pedals while coasting. It's easier
to lift off the saddle if it's set at the right height. Then
it's just a matter of anticipating your stops, disconnecting
(from the pedal) the foot you want to put down, lifting off
the saddle, and ... stopping. Rather than just flopping over
and sticking your foot out to break your incipient fall, bend
your knee -- the one attached to the leg that's still attached
to your bike -- and gently lower yourself down.

The next trick is reconnecting to the pedal when you get
going again ;-)

cheers,
Tom

--
-- Nothing is safe from me.
Above address is just a spam midden.
Old March 9th 05, 10:25 PM
Zoot Katz

Wed, 09 Mar 2005 15:13:26 -0600, , Roger
Daniel Pease wrote:

I've been cycling for almost a year now. Right now I stop by unclipping
both pedals while remaining on the seat and letting my two feet balance
me when I reach a complete stop. If I need to move I 'duckwalk'.

A lot of riders I've seen will keep one foot clipped in and stand over
their bike (unseated) while stopped. Is that an easy habit to get into?
Should I just accept that I will fall a few times if I try to learn
that? Any suggestions for ways to master that habit?

Practice.

I also suggest learning how to do it backward in case some idiot
decides to back-up.

I generally un clip one foot and dab the other. Which foot depends on
road crown. As opposed to track stands, I believe a dabbed rider is
easier for drivers to "read". They're less hesitant about taking their
right of way and replacing your foot on the pedal sends the message
that you're going to move.

Sometimes, in some locations, I'll leave both feet on the pedals (one
un clipped) and do a track stand or stabilise my self by hanging on to
a convenient post, pole, news paper box, litter bin etc.
--
zk
Old March 9th 05, 10:46 PM
Charles Beristain

On Wed, 09 Mar 2005 15:13:26 -0600, Roger Daniel Pease
wrote:

Is that an easy habit to get into?
Should I just accept that I will fall a few times if I try to learn
that? Any suggestions for ways to master that habit?

there is a knack to trackstanding.. and best practiced on soft grass
without being clipped in.. then once you have it down pat, you can
trackstand remaining clipped in..

here are some tips on how to get going:
http://pages.prodigy.com/CharlieB/trackstands.html

charlieb in ct.

Old March 9th 05, 11:33 PM
Tom Keats

In article ,
Roger Daniel Pease writes:

A lot of riders I've seen will keep one foot clipped in and stand over
their bike (unseated) while stopped.

D'oh! Now I'm confused. Are you talking about trackstands
(stopping with both feet remaining on the pedals,) or stopping
with one foot on the ground?

cheers again,
Tom

Old March 9th 05, 11:48 PM
Gooserider

One foot clipped in is easy to do. I keep my right foot clipped in and at
the 10 o'clock position so I can take off quickly. What's really neat is
trackstanding, which is keeping both feet clipped in and balancing the bike
at a standstill. I'm afraid to pull one in traffic, but I've seen an oral
surgeon friend of mine do it in a turning lane. He's the man, because if he
screws up and falls it's on a busy two lane highway... :-)

Old March 10th 05, 12:07 AM
RonSonic

On Wed, 09 Mar 2005 15:13:26 -0600, Roger Daniel Pease wrote:

I've been cycling for almost a year now. Right now I stop by unclipping
both pedals while remaining on the seat and letting my two feet balance
me when I reach a complete stop. If I need to move I 'duckwalk'.

A lot of riders I've seen will keep one foot clipped in and stand over
their bike (unseated) while stopped. Is that an easy habit to get into?
Should I just accept that I will fall a few times if I try to learn
that? Any suggestions for ways to master that habit?

Don't fall. This is no harder than gettig off an escalator.

As you approach the stop coast while standing on one foot with that pedal down,
unclip the other. As you come to a stop put the free foot down on the ground
with a bit of a forward "step" motion that puts you in front of the saddle.
Done.

Only in a world of undersized frames can people not know this drill.

Ron
Old March 10th 05, 01:28 AM
Leo Lichtman

"Gooserider" (clip) He's the man, because if he screws up and falls it's on
a busy two lane highway... :
Not only that! He's got to be able to put his fingers into a patient's
mouth. Not too easy with bandages.

Romoving Downtube Shifter Cable Stops mike_stay Techniques 0 September 2nd 04 07:51 PM
Down tube stops Bob Wheeler Techniques 3 August 18th 04 03:02 AM
What am I doing wrong? (Pedalling while standing up) Burning_Ranger UK 10 August 9th 04 04:48 PM
Fell off clipped in (or how to make a prat of yourself). Peter B UK 19 October 17th 03 03:26 PM
Standing while climbing bad? Destroy Mountain Biking 20 August 6th 03 04:14 PM