Provence, Ventoux

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old June 25th 06, 05:18 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

Default Provence, Ventoux

Hi

Thanks to all who replied to earlier threads about bikes on TGVs,
Provence and Ventoux. I returned yesterday from a brilliant week in
Provence with a tan and desire to return as soon as I can.

I didn't do as much riding as I'd like to have as it was a holiday with
friends, not bikes, but my appetite for more has definitely been
whetted. The roads are smooth (even the tinest D-roads are better sealed
than some A-roads here), drivers are more courteous or at least less
uncourteous than drivers here and the scenery, food and drink clearly go
without saying. Taking the bike in a soft bag on the Eurostar and TGV
(which is superb) was trouble-free once I'd hung around to make sure
nobody dumped a heavy suitcase on it and the whole journey from London
to A-e-P took under 7 hours. The change from Gare du Nord to Gare de
Lyon is a nuisance with a bike bag but not impossible.

What's a respectable time for climbing Ventoux? From Bedoin centre I
took just under 1 hour 40 minutes and from the summit to Malaucene
around 20 minutes, hitting 50mph a couple of times. I didn't find the
climb too hard in general -- the stretch to Chalet Reynard is the
toughest (ooh, another kilometre at 10%!) but I found the stretch from
Reynard much easier. I even got into the 39/25 a couple of times (I used
a 53/39 and 12-27) to honk out of the saddle and wheeze a quick "allez"
to some other poor bugger. The weather was favourable when I climbed
(overcast and not too windy) but I expect it'd be very tough in the full
sun or wind or at the end of a long ride. My whole
car-Bedoin-summit-Malaucene-Bedoin-car loop was only 45 miles or so.

Next stop: the Alps. Is l'Alpe d'Huez generally reckoned to be easier or
harder than Ventoux?

Cheers,

Mark