Vintage Handlebar Water Bottle Mount photo?

Old September 19th 05, 03:20 PM

Default Vintage Handlebar Water Bottle Mount photo?

Bob wrote:
Anyone have a pointer to a picture of a vintage handlebar mount water
bottle cage either mounted or unmounted?

I have been unable to find a vintage model to buy, so I am thinking
of making one...but I'm having trouble with the conceptual part and
I am hoping to get some hints.

Thanks,

http://www.brookssaddles.com/brooksengland.html

Go to the Brooks homepage and select the News & Events menu. Then
select L'Eroica. It is the old bikes and costumes ride in Italy.
Brooks sponsors it. There are pictures on the Brooks page which show
many pictures of the handlebar mounted water bottles. One is a
closeup.

http://www.parcociclisticodelchianti.it/eroicae.htm
This is the official website for L'Eroica. It has pictures too. Do a
Google search on L'Eroica and you should be able to turn up more
pictures of handlebar mounted cages.

Old September 19th 05, 03:42 PM
Tom Nakashima

Bob wrote:
Anyone have a pointer to a picture of a vintage handlebar mount water
bottle cage either mounted or unmounted?

I have been unable to find a vintage model to buy, so I am thinking
of making one...but I'm having trouble with the conceptual part and
I am hoping to get some hints.

Thanks,

http://www.63xc.com/scorcher/zmnakash.htm
-tom

Old September 19th 05, 08:19 PM

Tom Nakashima writes:

Anyone have a pointer to a picture of a vintage handlebar mount
water bottle cage either mounted or unmounted?

I have been unable to find a vintage model to buy, so I am
thinking of making one...but I'm having trouble with the
conceptual part and I am hoping to get some hints.

http://www.63xc.com/scorcher/zmnakash.htm

There's a good reason for not using a handlebar mounted bottle as
those of us who have used them know. Road shock of a typical divot in
a road will easily eject the bottle, especially from the kind of
holder pictured. It might be fine on a museum bicycle, but don't
expect much utility from it in use.

Jobst Brandt
Old September 19th 05, 10:53 PM
Bob Wheeler

wrote:
Tom Nakashima writes:

Anyone have a pointer to a picture of a vintage handlebar mount
water bottle cage either mounted or unmounted?

I have been unable to find a vintage model to buy, so I am
thinking of making one...but I'm having trouble with the
conceptual part and I am hoping to get some hints.

http://www.63xc.com/scorcher/zmnakash.htm

There's a good reason for not using a handlebar mounted bottle as
those of us who have used them know. Road shock of a typical divot in
a road will easily eject the bottle, especially from the kind of
holder pictured. It might be fine on a museum bicycle, but don't
expect much utility from it in use.

Jobst Brandt

That is right, but many of them were held in place by metal straps
closed with a lever, and these could resist most jolts -- of course the
corks would occasionally come out.

--
Bob Wheeler --- http://www.bobwheeler.com/
ECHIP, Inc. ---
Old September 19th 05, 11:22 PM
Booker C. Bense

Old September 20th 05, 12:32 AM
David L. Johnson

On Mon, 19 Sep 2005 07:42:40 -0700, Tom Nakashima wrote:

http://www.63xc.com/scorcher/zmnakash.htm
-tom

Nice bike, Tom. I used to have a bottle cage just like that.

--

David L. Johnson

__o | What is objectionable, and what is dangerous about extremists is
_`\(,_ | not that they are extreme, but that they are intolerant.
(_)/ (_) | --Robert F. Kennedy

Old September 21st 05, 02:04 PM
Tom Nakashima

"David L. Johnson" wrote in message
news
On Mon, 19 Sep 2005 07:42:40 -0700, Tom Nakashima wrote:

http://www.63xc.com/scorcher/zmnakash.htm
-tom

Nice bike, Tom. I used to have a bottle cage just like that.

--

David L. Johnson

__o | What is objectionable, and what is dangerous about extremists is
_`\(,_ | not that they are extreme, but that they are intolerant.
(_)/ (_) | --Robert F. Kennedy

Thanks David,
That was years ago, and since then I sold the bike. It was voted best
fixedgear one year which helped with the sale of the bike. Brandt is right
about the bottle mounted on the handlebar, rattles a lot, especially with
the metal bottles and I can see how it could get dislodged.
-tom

Level Six and Level Ten Mounts? jsm Unicycling 13 February 25th 05 06:40 PM
Help with Skill Level Modified Mount Rules TonyMelton Unicycling 3 July 22nd 04 11:01 PM
water bottle mounting MarkR General 8 May 20th 04 08:55 PM
Stupid question: Pink water bottle cages? Preston Crawford General 10 September 8th 03 05:45 AM
Water bottle you don't have to tip up Dan Musicant General 9 July 23rd 03 06:51 PM