Astronomical autumn

Old September 23rd 17, 03:04 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Joy Beeson

Default Astronomical autumn

Today is the first day of autumn, but summer is getting in one last
good lick. I've dug out a pair of capri-length tights that had been
put away for the winter. Sticking to my sheer linen scarf instead of
a do-rag, though.

The equinox is also the day I have to start keeping track of sunset.
It's 7:42 (19:42) today. Ouch!

Just put my bottles in the fridge, not to have cold water to drink,
but so I could fill them the day before. In fact, I hope that the tea
bottle gets up to ambient before I drink it, because a few hours at
fridge temperature isn't going to draw much caffeine out of the
leaves. Odds are good; I don't plan to drink it until noon, and the
high tomorrow will be 88 F. It'll be 74F about the time I set off.
Winds sharply rising from noon until five, but only to four miles per
hour.

No bottles suitable for extra water in the recycle bin, but it isn't
far from Owen's to Walmart. I probably won't range far on the way
back, because I've been off the bike so long that my spouse
spontaneously commented on it.

First it rained for what seemed like weeks, then I missed a whole week
of nice days because I just didn't feel like it. But on Saturday, I
*have* to go to the farmers' markets, and that jars me into motion.
Coming back by way of Walmart doesn't push it up much beyond fifteen
miles, and that's assuming that I go east of Pike Lake instead of
coming straight home by Sunset Drive. Might get in an extra mile
going to the garage sales on 250E, if I get there before five. (17:00)

Changed the newspapers in my insulated cooler this evening; some of
them were very brown and dirty where the sun had hit them. Tomorrow
will probably be the last time I put ice in it. I'm thinking of
taking an extra bag as a back-up source of water. I'm also planning
to carry a half cup of frozen switchel concentrate.

--
Joy Beeson
joy beeson at comcast dot net

Old September 23rd 17, 01:11 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Joy Beeson

It *has* been a long time since the last ride. I thought I'd gotten
the bike ready to go last night (except for adding ice, food, and
drink), but I forgot to put my distance shoes in. I plan to change at
Owen's West just before leaving town.

On a shopping trip I resent the space shoes occupy, but I've worked
out a way to stand them on end by putting them into a plastic bag and
putting both handles of the bag out through the same hole in the
pannier.

Re-reading my post before responding reminded me to put my tea on the
bike to get warm. It already tastes like tea, though. I'm leaving
the water in the fridge until the last minute.