Little Kids - how soon and what bike

Old December 1st 05, 03:35 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

Default Little Kids - how soon and what bike

My son is 3 right now, but by next summer will be 4. Is age 4 too soon
to start him on a bike with training wheels and start preparing him to
ride on his own? The reason I ask now (just as the Northeast U.S.
winter is about to begin) is that his grandmother wants to get him his
first bike for Christmas. I went to Toys R Us and, quite frankly, I
wasn't impressed by what they had. I want something that is good
quality that he can use for a couple summers (realizing, of course,
that he will outgrow it). Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Kevin

Old December 1st 05, 03:56 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

"kbigelow2000" wrote in message
oups.com...
My son is 3 right now, but by next summer will be 4. Is age 4 too soon
to start him on a bike with training wheels and start preparing him to
ride on his own? The reason I ask now (just as the Northeast U.S.
winter is about to begin) is that his grandmother wants to get him his
first bike for Christmas. I went to Toys R Us and, quite frankly, I
wasn't impressed by what they had. I want something that is good
quality that he can use for a couple summers (realizing, of course,
that he will outgrow it). Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Kevin

Well IMO, 4 is just about right. I seem to remember that I was probably
right around that age when I got my first two wheeler. And my little cousins
(girls) were right around there. I think it probably really depends on your
son. And how developed he is.

About bikes, I can't really give much advise there. I don't know of any
"quality" first bikes.

Ken

Old December 1st 05, 04:12 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

We bought a bike with training wheels, from Target I think,
when our first daughter was 4. She's 7 now, the bike is
still in great shape and our younger daughter is using it.
I don't think the bike is anything special. It's one of
these China-built, huge ugly welds, weighs a ton (heavier
than my road bike!). Just don't leave it out in the rain.

If you want to accelerate their trip to two wheels, I
would recommend you also/instead get them a scooter.
Even a three wheeled version will teach them how to lean
into corners, balance by steering, etc. My older daughter
was on two wheels before 6.

Old December 1st 05, 04:23 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

"kbigelow2000" wrote ...
My son is 3 right now, but by next summer will be 4. Is age 4 too soon
to start him on a bike with training wheels and start preparing him to
ride on his own? The reason I ask now (just as the Northeast U.S.
winter is about to begin) is that his grandmother wants to get him his
first bike for Christmas. I went to Toys R Us and, quite frankly, I
wasn't impressed by what they had. I want something that is good
quality that he can use for a couple summers (realizing, of course,
that he will outgrow it). Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Kevin

I very dimly remember having a bike (two wheels, no training wheels) at age
4. Some friends of mine had their very active 3 year old on training wheels,
and at 4 he was on two wheels w/o training wheels. Biggest problem in
getting him off training wheels was that he had become accustomed to them,
and would not try to ride without them. Dad finally unbolted the training
wheels and threw them out, the kid had no problems after that.
--
mark

Old December 1st 05, 04:41 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

kbigelow2000 wrote:
My son is 3 right now, but by next summer will be 4. Is age 4 too soon
to start him on a bike with training wheels and start preparing him to
ride on his own? The reason I ask now (just as the Northeast U.S.
winter is about to begin) is that his grandmother wants to get him his
first bike for Christmas. I went to Toys R Us and, quite frankly, I
wasn't impressed by what they had. I want something that is good
quality that he can use for a couple summers (realizing, of course,
that he will outgrow it). Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Kevin

We've purchased a bike, with training wheels, for our daughter for this
Christmas. She'll be 21 months old Decemeber 3rd.

I don't think you'll find much that will last two summers with the rate
kids grow. For our daughters first bike we gone for heavy, reliable and
fitted with a coaster brake. I'm going to adjust the coaster brake to
brake with out back pedaling. That why she'll not be able to coaster
off into the distance, she'll have to pedal to move forward.

Laters,

Marz

Old December 1st 05, 07:08 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

kbigelow2000 wrote:
My son is 3 right now, but by next summer will be 4. Is age 4 too soon
to start him on a bike with training wheels and start preparing him to
ride on his own? The reason I ask now (just as the Northeast U.S.
winter is about to begin) is that his grandmother wants to get him his
first bike for Christmas. I went to Toys R Us and, quite frankly, I
wasn't impressed by what they had. I want something that is good
quality that he can use for a couple summers (realizing, of course,
that he will outgrow it). Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Kevin

3-4 is a fine age as long as he shows interest.

My son stared riding when he was 3 and loves it. I recommend ditching
the training wheels and going straight to "real" riding so as not to
have to un-learn how to steer. Get one of those handles you can attach
to the back of the bike so you can steer while walking/jogging behind.

I also found that cycling gloves for the kids is a real help too. If
they fall, they don't scrape their palms, which hurts and is a real
turn-off for the budding cyclist.

Another option I had good results with was to grab the back of my
daughter's jacket and steer her. This way she was in charge of the bike
and keeping it upright, while I ensured she stayed upright. And was
able to catch her when she crashed. She wasn't as robust as my sone,
and was more turned off by crashes than he was. She didn't take as well
to the handle on the back of her bike, and would just lean against my
supportinng hand, not learning.

If it isn't full winter where you are, it might be a great time to
learn. More clothes to act as cushions.

As for bikes, I had a name brand one for my son and it worked well,
while I bought a cheap-o pink one for my daughter. We ended up throwing
it away, and painting my son's old bike for her. The cheapo- bike had
crazy angles, a super high bottom bracket and other things that made it
very unstable. As soon as she switched to the name brand one, her
progress was much better.

I also changed the rear sprocket to give it a lighter gear. Some kids'
bikes come with very tall gears which make getting started difficult,
and even the most modest of incline impossible.

Also remove any hand-brake. The bike should just have a coaster brake.
Small kids just stare at the lever and try to operate it while they
crash into a fence. It is an ineffectual distraction, IMO.

Good luck!

Joseph

Old December 1st 05, 07:30 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

Kevin Bigelow writes:

My son is 3 right now, but by next summer will be 4. Is age 4 too
soon to start him on a bike with training wheels and start preparing
him to ride on his own? The reason I ask now (just as the Northeast
U.S. winter is about to begin) is that his grandmother wants to get
him his first bike for Christmas. I went to Toys R Us and, quite
frankly, I wasn't impressed by what they had. I want something that
is good quality that he can use for a couple summers (realizing, of
course, that he will outgrow it). Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Interest and ability is not just linked to age. Some start early and
others later but that doesn't chart the course for thereafter. In any
case, don't get training wheels. They make a bicycle into an unstable
tricycle that doesn't in the least ride like a bicycle. I've been
involved in the first bicycle riding of a few children and it usually
takes about one session to make the child a bicyclist... if you don't
start too soon.

Between four and five sounds like an average age to start. Tricycle
riding beforehand helps make pedaling a natural response, something
that children sometimes fail to recognize when put on a bicycle as
they get wrapped up in thinking about how to balance. They sometimes
stop pedaling and slow to a speed at which they will topple anyway.

My method is to hold the bicycle under the saddle so the child cannot
tell whether you are holding on or not. Then yell over your shoulder
(as if you were far away) "Hey, come back!" My experience is that the
solo ride usually occurs the first time. The next day will probably
bring a training session with no intervention.

Jobst Brandt
Old December 1st 05, 09:09 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

Sheldon knows all.

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/teachride.html
Old December 1st 05, 09:10 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

Marz wrote:

I'm going to adjust the coaster brake to
brake with out back pedaling.

That pretty much sucks the fun out of riding.
Old December 1st 05, 09:36 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

"Rich" wrote in message

Sheldon knows all.

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/teachride.html

Well I'll be! Never saw any reference to that page before. I guess he does
know all. Or has had enough experience teaching his own to ride.

Ken