Bike paths blamed for infrastructure failures?

Old September 15th 07, 07:24 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
damyth

Default Bike paths blamed for infrastructure failures?

Don't know if anyone here has come across this, but it's an
interesting read:
http://www.salon.com/news/feature/20...14/bike_paths/

Old September 15th 07, 08:22 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
vey

damyth wrote:
Don't know if anyone here has come across this, but it's an
interesting read:
http://www.salon.com/news/feature/20...14/bike_paths/

Yup. Bike paths made the bridge fall down. Everybody knows this, of course.
Old September 15th 07, 10:03 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
george[_2_]

vey wrote in :
Yup. Bike paths made the bridge fall down. Everybody knows this, of course.

Everyone in the Bush administration, at least. Those are the same folks that
are still looking for the WMDs in Iraq.
Old September 16th 07, 09:09 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Greens

"george" wrote in message
vey wrote in :
Yup. Bike paths made the bridge fall down. Everybody knows this, of
course.

Everyone in the Bush administration, at least. Those are the same folks
that
are still looking for the WMDs in Iraq.

During the Reagan administration they said that trees caused pollution. Now
it's bike paths cause infrastructure decay.

Old September 16th 07, 03:00 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
SMS

damyth wrote:
Don't know if anyone here has come across this, but it's an
interesting read:
http://www.salon.com/news/feature/20...14/bike_paths/

What do you expect from a Bush appointee? She's a Republican.
Old September 16th 07, 03:01 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
SMS

Greens wrote:
"george" wrote in message
vey wrote in :
Yup. Bike paths made the bridge fall down. Everybody knows this, of
course.

Everyone in the Bush administration, at least. Those are the same folks
that
are still looking for the WMDs in Iraq.

During the Reagan administration they said that trees caused pollution. Now
it's bike paths cause infrastructure decay.

I think it was that Reagan was once again confusing reality with
something that was in a movie. He once saw a polluting tree in a film
and thought it was real.
Old September 16th 07, 03:47 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Fritz

On Sun, 16 Sep 2007 07:01:56 -0700, SMS
wrote:

Greens wrote:
"george" wrote in message
vey wrote in :
Yup. Bike paths made the bridge fall down. Everybody knows this, of
course.
Everyone in the Bush administration, at least. Those are the same folks
that
are still looking for the WMDs in Iraq.

During the Reagan administration they said that trees caused pollution. Now
it's bike paths cause infrastructure decay.

I think it was that Reagan was once again confusing reality with
something that was in a movie. He once saw a polluting tree in a film
and thought it was real.

Read it.
http://www.texasep.org/html/air/air_2std_trees.html
Old September 16th 07, 04:18 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
vey

Fritz wrote:

Read it.
http://www.texasep.org/html/air/air_2std_trees.html

"For example, biogenics are estimated to account for 22 percent of all
VOCs emitted in the woody Houston-Galveston area, but only 12 percent in
the arid El Paso area."

Geez, so *that's* why Houston stinks so much more than El Paso. That's
one of life's mysteries solved.
Old September 16th 07, 05:03 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jim Flom

"damyth" wrote in message
ups.com...
Don't know if anyone here has come across this, but it's an
interesting read:
http://www.salon.com/news/feature/20...14/bike_paths/

Her exact comments:
GWEN IFILL: Aren't many of those projects, even though they're special
interest projects, aren't they roads and bridges, often?

MARY PETERS: Gwen, some of them are, but many of them are not. There are
museums that are being built with that money, bike paths, trails, repairing
lighthouses. Those are some of the kind of things that that money is being
spent on, as opposed to our infrastructure.

and later...

GWEN IFILL: Who is spending the money inappropriately?

MARY PETERS: Well, there's about probably some 10 percent to 20 percent of
the current spending that is going to projects that really are not
transportation, directly transportation-related. Some of that money is being
spent on things, as I said earlier, like bike paths or trails. Some is being
spent on museums, on restoring lighthouses, as I indicated.

In the overall context, not a big point, but the fact that Peters comes back
to bike paths after stating it once indicates its an issue for HER. I'd
love to see the exact dollars spent on bike paths and trails. Too bad Ifill
didn't pick up on it.

Old September 16th 07, 05:56 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Greens

"Jim Flom" wrote in message
"damyth" wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

Let's face it. We cyclists are selfish vermin stealing the very breath out
of motor's mouths.

We should be ashamed.

A10 bike paths Clive George UK 3 August 14th 07 11:15 AM
BNE: Infrastructure planning Duracell Bunny Australia 2 October 5th 06 11:01 AM
FYI REI Bike Recall of 20" Aluminum Novara 20” Dirt Rider for frame failures SMS General 0 February 11th 06 02:50 AM
bike paths Cully_J Recumbent Biking 2 August 24th 05 03:28 AM
Some Bike Failures kim Australia 0 March 21st 05 09:43 PM