Advice needed on adjusting rear derailleur.

Old October 5th 03, 09:39 AM
Adriad Marshall

Default Advice needed on adjusting rear derailleur.

I'm trying to adjust the rear derailleur on my bike (Shimano Acer X in
the rear, Gripshift shifters in the front, 21 speeds). I've done
plenty of research on it, spent a few days on it, but all without
success. Problem I'm having is, I can't get it to shift perfectly in
both up and down (high/low) directions, on all 7 sprockets in the
rear, and all 3 cogs in the front. The trouble areas are usually the
middle gears (ie. 3rd or 4th sprocket from the smallest), or
upshifting from the smallest gear. When I fine tune it so that
upshifting is perfect, the downshifting develops problems; and vice
versa. I've tried making adjustments to EVERYTHING; the barrel
adjuster on the front grip shifter, the barrel adjuster on the rear
derailleur, the tension of the cable, the placement of the derailleur
before the cable is pinned down, the H/L adjustment screws, the
B-tension screw, the positioning of the guide pulley - everything.

There are even times when everything seemed perfect, shifting was
flawless in both directions, on all sprockets. But after cycling
through all sprockets a few times, shifting problems developed as
described above. This change in performance can only be due to the
action of tightening and releasing the tension on the cable, through
the act of switching gears on the gripshifter. But I've ensured the
cable was tightened down very securely, and the cable, like all the
other parts on the bike, appears to not be in a worn condition (the
bike has only seen maybe a year's use). Any suggestions on finding a
solution?
Old October 5th 03, 01:08 PM
Lindsay Rowlands

Adriad Marshall wrote:
SNIP
: There are even times when everything seemed perfect, shifting was
: flawless in both directions, on all sprockets. But after cycling
: through all sprockets a few times, shifting problems developed as
: described above. This change in performance can only be due to the
: action of tightening and releasing the tension on the cable, through
: the act of switching gears on the gripshifter. But I've ensured the
: cable was tightened down very securely, and the cable, like all the
: other parts on the bike, appears to not be in a worn condition (the
: bike has only seen maybe a year's use). Any suggestions on finding a
: solution?

Without question, you need to make absolutely certain the cables
travel freely in their housings. Don't waste any more time on
playing with adjustments. And, in any case, a year old bike should have
all its cables stripped out, cleaned and lubed or replaced. It's
amazing the difference just this act can make.

I've fixed bikes where the owner paid top rates at the LBS for this exact
set of symptoms not to be diagnosed.

Hope this helps, cheerz
Lynzz
Old October 5th 03, 01:24 PM
Dave Smith

On 5 Oct 2003 01:39:23 -0700, (Adriad Marshall)
wrote:

[...]

I had the same problem on an XTR bike. Finally realized that the rear
wheel was mounted crooked in the dropouts. It happens.
Old October 5th 03, 11:24 PM
ROBMURR

I am about to try to tackle the same problem as well as rubbing
on the front derailer on my MTB Specialized Hardrock. I have the
same components as you and the bike has never shifted well.
My girlfriend has a much older Specialized Hardrock with old
Suntour derailers and it shifts flawlessly...Did you find any
websites or books that might help me out? Maybe I can learn
something with my problem that may give you some insight into
your problem.
Thanks
Rob

Old October 6th 03, 12:54 AM

wrote:

[...]

could your chain, perhaps, be too thick? I experienced a similar
situation and a narrower chain eliminated the problem.

Old October 6th 03, 01:58 PM
ROBMURR

I am about to try to tackle the same problem as well as rubbing
on the front derailer on my MTB Specialized Hardrock. I have the
same components as you and the bike has never shifted well.
My girlfriend has a much older Specialized Hardrock with old
Suntour derailers and it shifts flawlessly...Did you find any
websites or books that might help me out? Maybe I can learn
something with my problem that may give you some insight into
your problem.
Thanks
Rob

From Robmurr:
I got mine fixed last night. I lubed the cables and adjusted the
high stop on my rear derailer(was way off) then shifted to top
gear in the rear and backed out the ferrule? on the derailer to
allow me some adjustment of the cable to fine tune it.
I took all the slack out of the cable while in top gear and tightened
the cable down. Starting shifting up and down nicely with only a
little tweeking of the cable adjustment on the gripshift to stop any
rubbing of the chain on the sprocket sides. Working great now.
This bike was really set up bad from the bike shop I got it from
when new..In fact when new it never went into top gear in the rear!
Next bike I buy will be put on a stand while I watch everything
being adjusted to my satisfaction before I leave with it.
Thanks for the help
Rob
Old October 6th 03, 02:19 PM
Peter Cole

"Adriad Marshall" wrote in message
om...

I'm trying to adjust the rear derailleur on my bike (Shimano Acer X in
the rear, Gripshift shifters in the front, 21 speeds).

. When I fine tune it so that
upshifting is perfect, the downshifting develops problems; and vice
versa.

There are even times when everything seemed perfect, shifting was
flawless in both directions, on all sprockets. But after cycling
through all sprockets a few times, shifting problems developed as
described above.

2 common culprits: bent rear derailer cage or hanger, or friction in
cable/cable housing. Friction usually reveals itself by slow upshifts when you
have the downshifting set properly, the spring in the derailer can only
overcome so much friction.

Low-end indexed components like those are pretty marginal at best. They're
hard to get perfect shifting from even when they're new and clean, when they
get worn a little and dirty, they get temperamental.

Old October 8th 03, 12:54 PM
Bill Stanford

My stock road bike these many years (components moving from frame to frame)
has Dura hubs, Sugino triple crankset, and Yes! : SunTour derailers.

Don't put your SunTour stuff up on Ebay: use it! :-)

Garrison Hilliard wrote:

(ROBMURR) wrote:
My girlfriend has a much older Specialized Hardrock with old
Suntour derailers and it shifts flawlessly...Did you find any
websites or books that might help me out?

There's your answer... Suntour was always better than Shi(t)mano,...

Sounds like it might be time for me to put all my SunTour stuff up on ebay. Do
others feel the same way?