Collision and claim (Manchester)

Old November 1st 08, 01:51 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Michael Klontzas_

Default Collision and claim (Manchester)

After more than 7 years of cycling in London without a single road
incident, I moved to Manchester and within 3 weeks of very little
cycling I was hit by a van. I am not sure how much I should read into
this, but I must say it confirms my suspicions. The first thing I
noticed in Manchester was that the drivers drive a lot more
aggressively. Then I noticed the vast majority of the much fewer
cyclists were riding on pavements. Whether this is because they are
too scared to use the road or that their absence from the road does
not educate drivers into looking out for them, I don't know. The sad
thing is that the council literature on the future transport system in
Manchester doesn't mention anything about cycling! I even wrote in to
point this out but I don't expect too much really. Quite simply,
cycling is not on the agenda.

Anyway, that van literally drove into me from the side at a junction
as the driver was trying to cross a busy road. The impact was not
strong at all but I was effectively knocked down and as usual the van
drove over the bike. The result was a strained wrist, bruises, some
bleeding, a broken watch and of course my front wheel and fork (and
possibly more) were completely destroyed. later that night things
started getting very painful and I was convinced I had fractured my
wrist, but fortunately things improved the following day. The driver
admitted liability and there are two witnesses. An ambulance and the
police attended and recorded the incident. The police confirmed the
driver accepts liability and his insurance is OK. So, the claim sounds
like a routine issue. I have no experience of how this is done. The
police advised me to contact a no-win-no-fee solicitor and I see Cycle
Aid advertise in the CTC newsletter. Any advice on how I go about this
would be appreciated. I haven't taken the bike to a bike shop yet as I
thought I would take legal advice first. In short, this was the last
thing I needed and using buses to get into work is not fun.

Many thanks
--
Michael
Old November 1st 08, 02:47 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Brian Robertson[_5_]

"Michael Klontzas_" wrote in message
[...]

Michael,

Visit http://www.gmfuturetransport.co.uk/ for information about proposals re
cycling in Manchester.

One of it is going to happen because the congestion charge is dead in the
water, but that's another matter.

Brian.

Old November 1st 08, 02:56 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Brian Robertson[_5_]

"Brian Robertson" wrote in message
[...]

I meant none of it is going to happen, of course.

Brian.

Old November 1st 08, 03:39 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Mason

"Michael Klontzas_" wrote in message
After more than 7 years of cycling in London without a single road
incident, I moved to Manchester and within 3 weeks of very little
cycling I was hit by a van.

Glad you were not seriously injured Michael. BTW I still don't have a
personal DAB player, still on the AM/FM minidisc ;-)

--
Simon Mason

Old November 1st 08, 04:06 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Rob Morley

On Sat, 01 Nov 2008 16:00:00 +0000
Phil W Lee phil(at)lee-family(dot)me(dot)uk wrote:

If public transport is a major hassle and you have the facilities
locally to hire a replacement cycle, it will focus the insurance
companies minds wonderfully on getting it settled quickly, as they'll
be seeing the bill climb higher as they delay!

That might be a good idea as far as replacing damaged property, but
it's not a good idea to rush a claim for personal injury until you have
a very good idea of any long term effects.
Old November 1st 08, 04:35 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Señor Chris

Michael Klontzas_ wrote:
After more than 7 years of cycling in London without a single road
incident, I moved to Manchester and within 3 weeks of very little
cycling I was hit by a van. I am not sure how much I should read into
this, but I must say it confirms my suspicions.

Your suspicions may not be correct. On average over the last three
years, there were 1.3 cyclists killed and 23 seriously injured on
Manchester’s roads. In Camden alone last year, there were 21 serious
cycling accidents and one fatality.
Old November 1st 08, 04:39 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Tom Crispin

On Sat, 1 Nov 2008 06:51:26 -0700 (PDT), Michael Klontzas_
wrote:

[...]

I'm going through a similar claim at the moment. I was knocked down
by van trying to get to a loading bay on the wrong side of the road.

It has taken 18 months so far - the court hearing is set for 13
November.

First they offered me £1020, then £4,000, then £4,500. My no win-no
fee solicitors have advised that I reject all offers and I have
followed their advice.

Some people seem to have something against no win - no fee solicitors.
I don't. I have been satisfied with the service I have received so
far.
Old November 1st 08, 05:00 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Jens Müller[_2_]

Phil W Lee schrieb:
and you have the facilities
locally to hire a replacement cycle,

Are there actually any proper cycles for hire anywhere? I tried in
Berlin lately for nearly 15 € for one day, and that bike was crap.
Old November 1st 08, 05:01 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Jens Müller[_2_]

Rob Morley schrieb:
On Sat, 01 Nov 2008 16:00:00 +0000
Phil W Lee phil(at)lee-family(dot)me(dot)uk wrote:

If public transport is a major hassle and you have the facilities
locally to hire a replacement cycle, it will focus the insurance
companies minds wonderfully on getting it settled quickly, as they'll
be seeing the bill climb higher as they delay!

That might be a good idea as far as replacing damaged property, but
it's not a good idea to rush a claim for personal injury until you have
a very good idea of any long term effects.

Is there the possibility for declaratory relief in the UK?
Old November 2nd 08, 03:13 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Michael Klontzas_

On Nov 1, 4:35*pm, Señor Chris wrote:
Your suspicions may not be correct. *On average over the last three
years, there were 1.3 cyclists killed and 23 seriously injured on
Manchester’s roads. *In Camden alone last year, there were 21 serious
cycling accidents and one fatality.

Well, yes, but this doesn't say very much if we don't factor in the
total number of cyclists and total miles travelled on the road (not on
pavements). Fatalities per 1000miles cycled would be more useful. My
personal experience is of course completely anecdotal, but earlier
that day I had the 'accident', I saw a near miss involving a cyclist
very close to the spot I was knocked down later. It was not the near
miss -- it was the kind of near miss that got me worried: as the
cyclist was almost past a junction, the driver who was waiting to
cross accelerated and missed the rear wheel of the bike by an inch. I
just hope this attitude is not representative.

Again anecdotal, but ever since I moved to Manchester my partner has
been trying to convince me to give up cycling because of the general
attitude of drivers. There was no way I would give up of course,
although I knew what she meant, and after the 'accident' we had a 'I
told you so' moment.

But I really hope you are right.

--
Michael

In collision with David Hansen UK 44 September 2nd 08 10:09 PM
Collision Ekul Namsob UK 12 May 6th 08 10:35 AM
Another bike in collision with a car... wafflycat UK 34 December 31st 05 03:50 AM
My first collision Alan J. Wylie UK 26 April 15th 05 07:44 AM
In collision with... Just zis Guy, you know? UK 22 August 3rd 03 05:08 PM