does spraypainting a hub hold up?

Old February 11th 04, 12:24 AM
toughnuts

Default does spraypainting a hub hold up?

Hey,
Any idea on how spray painting a hub would hold up to Muni and trials.
I want to spray paint my hub, but I think it will look crappy after a
while, because it might scratch too easily.

I have seen spray painted frames, and they just look to raunchy after a
while cuz of all the dumpin. Especially at the tops of the fork.

--
toughnuts
toughnuts's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4553

Old February 11th 04, 12:29 AM
Max_Dingemans

the inside of the flangles will look fine, and continue to do so for
quite some time. however, the outside of the flanges on the pedal grab
side might start to look iffy. other than that they look fine.

--
Max_Dingemans - Hey Look, who's that?

BLAH!
Max_Dingemans's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/1981

Old February 11th 04, 12:34 AM
Rayden

Use a permanent marker. Or crayons.

--
Rayden
Rayden's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/264

Old February 11th 04, 01:11 AM
hell-on-wheel

toughnuts wrote:
*I have seen spray painted frames, and they just look to raunchy after
a while... *

'You mean like this?'
(http://www.unicyclist.com/gallery/albuv17/100_1203)

--
hell-on-wheel - My karma ran over your dogma

On the other hand, you have different fingers. - Steven Wright
hell-on-wheel's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3425

Old February 11th 04, 01:13 AM
Max_Dingemans

the fact that your painting over chrome doesnt help at all...

Old February 11th 04, 01:22 AM
Rayden

If that were the actual paint scheme it would be really cool.

Old February 11th 04, 09:48 AM
john_childs

I spray painted the widened Suzue hub on my Coker. I painted it black
to match the black frame. So far it has held up fine. No nicks and no
chips. It looks great.

A more durable option would be to send the hub to Darren Bedford and
have him get it powder coated. I was considering that option, but I
didn't have the patience to wait. I wanted my wheel built ASAP so I did
the quickest option and spray painted it.

--
john_childs - Guinness Mojo

john_childs (at) hotmail (dot) com

Old February 11th 04, 10:09 AM
forget_your_life

the key to spray paint is climate.make sure it is hot,like 85 degrees or
more for best results.dont scimp on the primer before and dont forget
the clear coat after...

--
forget_your_life - a.k.a. jagur

[image: