Your Bike is Obsolete

Old November 14th 19, 07:49 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

Default Your Bike is Obsolete

https://bikerumor.com/2019/11/11/pat...train-updates/

Peek into the future, where everything you know is wrong.
--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old November 14th 19, 09:30 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

On Thursday, 14 November 2019 13:49:54 UTC-5, AMuzi wrote:
https://bikerumor.com/2019/11/11/pat...train-updates/

Peek into the future, where everything you know is wrong.
--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/
Open every day since 1 April, 1971

Looks like a move to totally proprietary systems with no ability to mix with components from other systems.

I think I'll stick with what i have.

I wonder what bicyclists thought all those years ago when companies went from those big pitch chains to derailleurs or again when companies like Campagnolo dropped their rod shifters from the seat tube? At least those changes were real advances whereas much of what we see here are apparently smaller advances and perhaps not even needed or wanted by consumers.

Cheers
Old November 14th 19, 10:36 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 11/14/2019 1:49 PM, AMuzi wrote:
https://bikerumor.com/2019/11/11/pat...train-updates/

Peek into the future, where everything you know is wrong.

Rats. I hate having to sell all my bikes and buy new ones every time
this happens.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old November 14th 19, 10:38 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Zen Cycle

On Thursday, November 14, 2019 at 1:49:54 PM UTC-5, AMuzi wrote:
https://bikerumor.com/2019/11/11/pat...train-updates/

Peek into the future, where everything you know is wrong.
--

I wouldn't go that far. Seems like the Campy and SRAM patents are pretty incremental - adding a cog, carrier design modification, cog tooth modification - not exactly what one would call a 'major' update. The Shimano design is new, but like one of the comments in the article states, 'knowing shimano, it isn't likely to ever see the light of day'.
Old November 14th 19, 10:53 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 11/14/2019 4:38 PM, Zen Cycle wrote:
On Thursday, November 14, 2019 at 1:49:54 PM UTC-5, AMuzi wrote:
https://bikerumor.com/2019/11/11/pat...train-updates/

Peek into the future, where everything you know is wrong.
--

I wouldn't go that far. Seems like the Campy and SRAM patents are pretty incremental - adding a cog, carrier design modification, cog tooth modification - not exactly what one would call a 'major' update.

About the added cog: I've got two folding bikes with 9 tooth cogs. I
never use them if I can help it. They run noticeably rough, and I'm sure
they wouldn't last long at all in frequent use.

And it seems weird to turn around Spinal Tap's bragging: "It goes down
to 10!"

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old November 15th 19, 01:50 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
jOHN b.

On Thu, 14 Nov 2019 12:30:07 -0800 (PST), Sir Ridesalot
wrote:

On Thursday, 14 November 2019 13:49:54 UTC-5, AMuzi wrote:
https://bikerumor.com/2019/11/11/pat...train-updates/

Peek into the future, where everything you know is wrong.
--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/
Open every day since 1 April, 1971

Looks like a move to totally proprietary systems with no ability to mix with components from other systems.

I think I'll stick with what i have.

I wonder what bicyclists thought all those years ago when companies went from those big pitch chains to derailleurs or again when companies like Campagnolo dropped their rod shifters from the seat tube? At least those changes were real advances whereas much of what we see here are apparently smaller advances and perhaps not even needed or wanted by consumers.

Cheers

But the "consumers" don't know that they need the new things until
they see them. Remember the days of the "10 speed English Racer"?

Good Lord! Ten speeds? Who could use that many speeds?
Today it is add another speed each year :-(
--
cheers,

John B.

Old November 15th 19, 02:20 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

wrote:

[...]

I remember an issue of BICYCLING MAGAZINE that had an article by them t hat 15 gears were totally unnecessary.

Cheers
Old November 15th 19, 02:39 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 11/14/2019 8:20 PM, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
On Thursday, 14 November 2019 19:50:52 UTC-5, John B. wrote:

But the "consumers" don't know that they need the new things until
they see them. Remember the days of the "10 speed English Racer"?

Good Lord! Ten speeds? Who could use that many speeds?
Today it is add another speed each year :-(

I remember an issue of BICYCLING MAGAZINE that had an article by them t hat 15 gears were totally unnecessary.

It might be interesting to watch the hiring process at Buycycling
magazine. From the articles (which I now just skim at a library) I
suspect you don't have to be very technically competent. But you've
certainly got to be passionately in favor of whatever just came onto the
market last month.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old November 15th 19, 03:02 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
jOHN b.

On Thu, 14 Nov 2019 20:39:54 -0500, Frank Krygowski
wrote:

On 11/14/2019 8:20 PM, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
On Thursday, 14 November 2019 19:50:52 UTC-5, John B. wrote:

But the "consumers" don't know that they need the new things until
they see them. Remember the days of the "10 speed English Racer"?

Good Lord! Ten speeds? Who could use that many speeds?
Today it is add another speed each year :-(

I remember an issue of BICYCLING MAGAZINE that had an article by them t hat 15 gears were totally unnecessary.

It might be interesting to watch the hiring process at Buycycling
magazine. From the articles (which I now just skim at a library) I
suspect you don't have to be very technically competent. But you've
certainly got to be passionately in favor of whatever just came onto the
market last month.

And, whoever is taking out those whole page adverts :-)
--
cheers,

John B.

Old November 15th 19, 04:55 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

On Thursday, 14 November 2019 20:39:57 UTC-5, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 11/14/2019 8:20 PM, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
On Thursday, 14 November 2019 19:50:52 UTC-5, John B. wrote:

But the "consumers" don't know that they need the new things until
they see them. Remember the days of the "10 speed English Racer"?

Good Lord! Ten speeds? Who could use that many speeds?
Today it is add another speed each year :-(

I remember an issue of BICYCLING MAGAZINE that had an article by them t hat 15 gears were totally unnecessary.

It might be interesting to watch the hiring process at Buycycling
magazine. From the articles (which I now just skim at a library) I
suspect you don't have to be very technically competent. But you've
certainly got to be passionately in favor of whatever just came onto the
market last month.

--
- Frank Krygowski

It's been quite some time since I bought BICYCLING magazine or any other bicycling magazine for that matter. For Bicycling magazine it's been at least 20 years now.

Cheers

The bicycle is obsolete. James Wilkinson Sword UK 0 September 30th 16 10:39 PM
Dynamos - obsolete? MSeries UK 13 December 22nd 05 07:09 PM
Dynamos - obsolete? Ric UK 0 December 22nd 05 07:16 AM
Dynamos - obsolete? Clive George UK 0 December 22nd 05 12:48 AM
Dynamos - obsolete? Nigel Cliffe UK 0 December 21st 05 08:48 PM