Cyclists, 'road tax' and being considerate

Old July 2nd 20, 11:29 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Mason[_6_]

Default Cyclists, 'road tax' and being considerate

After 83 years, the myth still rears its non existent head amongst the ignorant driver.
QUOTE:
More people have been cycling (and walking) during the Covid pandemic. There are lots of benefits of this. Cycling helps make people fitter and healthier - and so less likely to add to demand on the NHS. Each person not using public transport helps relieve demand on buses and trains, reducing the risk of Covid infection. Each person not driving a car reduces carbon emissions, other pollution, and danger on the roads. Cycling is good for individual health, public health, and the planet's health. And it's fun!

Sadly, there has been an increase lately in aggression by drivers towards cyclists, both verbal and by driving that puts cyclists in real danger. Drivers complain that cyclists are in their way, and that cyclists don't pay 'road tax'. But 87% of cyclists are also car owners, so they do pay 'road tax' (actually Vehicle Excise Duty, which goes into general government funds, not specifically for roads; Road Tax was abolished in 1937.) Besides, road maintenance is funded mainly from council tax, which cyclists are as likely to pay as drivers.

And the Vehicle Excise Duty you pay depends on your car's emissions. For a car with low emissions, you pay less. The rate for an electric car is zero. And so it would be zero for a bicycle, if the law covered them too. In short, cyclists and horse riders too do pay 'road tax' (as car owners), and are entitled to be on the road.

So please, be considerate to cyclists, for their safety and your own benefit, even if it occasionally costs you a few extra seconds on your trip. Better still, ride a bike yourself!

Martin Brown and Lesley Greene

Bisley

https://www.stroudnewsandjournal.co....x-considerate/
Old July 2nd 20, 11:58 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
TMS320

On 02/07/2020 11:29, Simon Mason wrote:

Sadly, there has been an increase lately in aggression by drivers
towards cyclists, both verbal and by driving that puts cyclists in
real danger. Drivers complain that cyclists are in their way, and
that cyclists don't pay 'road tax'. But 87% of cyclists are also car
owners, so they do pay 'road tax' (actually Vehicle Excise Duty,
which goes into general government funds, not specifically for roads;
Road Tax was abolished in 1937.) Besides, road maintenance is funded
mainly from council tax, which cyclists are as likely to pay as
drivers.

This year 168 council get nothing from the government. In those areas it
is irrelevant whether a cyclist has a car.

There is one authority in the north-west that gets something like £450
for every resident.

A pity that in areas where the residents pay for their roads, councils
can't put toll stations on all roads not Highways Agency maintained
(unlikely to be used by cyclists) crossing into their boundary and
charge the freeloaders for bringing their car in.
Old July 2nd 20, 12:29 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
TMS320

On 02/07/2020 11:58, TMS320 wrote:
[...]

Postscript. I have just noticed that the A34 and A404 are HA roads.
Because there was no LA alternative I have cycled between two junctions
on the A34 and walked on the grass for about 200m alongside the A404.
Should I have put about 3p into the kitty for doing that?

However, when Streetview photographed the A404 last year they show a
bridleway in the process of being built at that section. I wonder
whether horsists are paying for it and if so, whether they will be
screaming at cyclists for using "their" road.
Old July 2nd 20, 02:05 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Mason[_6_]

On Thursday, July 2, 2020 at 11:58:35 AM UTC+1, TMS320 wrote:

A pity that in areas where the residents pay for their roads, councils
can't put toll stations on all roads not Highways Agency maintained
(unlikely to be used by cyclists) crossing into their boundary and
charge the freeloaders for bringing their car in.

Maybe a system like on toll bridges that use an automatic payment system like the Humbertag I have stuck to my windscreen that deducts £1-50 from my account whenever I drive across the Humber Bridge.

A few pence could be sent to East Riding of Yorkshire council for my damaging their roads and not paying council tax to them anymore.

Old July 2nd 20, 04:59 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Mike Collins

On Thursday, 2 July 2020 11:29:53 UTC+1, Simon Mason wrote:
[...]

4th power of axle loading should also play a part.
10Kg bicycle vs 2000Kg car the numerical answer, as always, is left as an exercise for the Pamela-Nugent.

Old July 2nd 20, 08:46 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
TMS320

On 02/07/2020 14:05, Simon Mason wrote:
On Thursday, July 2, 2020 at 11:58:35 AM UTC+1, TMS320 wrote:

A pity that in areas where the residents pay for their roads,
councils can't put toll stations on all roads not Highways Agency
maintained (unlikely to be used by cyclists) crossing into their
boundary and charge the freeloaders for bringing their car in.

Maybe a system like on toll bridges that use an automatic payment
system like the Humbertag I have stuck to my windscreen that deducts
£1-50 from my account whenever I drive across the Humber Bridge.

Yes, easy to do. It's not the 20th century where manned booths and gates
would be needed.

A few pence could be sent to East Riding of Yorkshire council for my
damaging their roads and not paying council tax to them anymore.

Do you know whether they have a means of taking donations for a "road fund"?
Old July 2nd 20, 09:08 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Mason[_6_]

On Thursday, July 2, 2020 at 8:46:08 PM UTC+1, TMS320 wrote:
[...]

I believe it is called "council tax", but drivers from outside the county don't have to pay it and as such get to use the roads for free.
Old July 2nd 20, 09:19 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Kerr-Mudd,John[_2_]

On Thu, 02 Jul 2020 20:08:04 GMT, Simon Mason
wrote:

[...]

Spongers!

--
Bah, and indeed, Humbug.

Please be considerate of oncoming cyclists at night [email protected] General 2 November 2nd 18 03:07 AM
Another considerate cyclist? Derek C UK 0 July 30th 10 09:51 AM
Another considerate cyclist? webreader UK 8 July 30th 10 01:54 AM
considerate cyclists PeterG UK 3 June 8th 10 11:27 AM
Considerate Driver Craig Wilkes Australia 21 December 28th 04 01:40 PM