!05 Shifter Won't shift

Old April 17th 06, 06:31 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default !05 Shifter Won't shift

Uh... no (and I don't think that's what you meant). We rebuild a lot of
Ergo
levers, replacing the ratchet gear, which most definitely causes a
"failed"
shifter. But it *is* rebuildable, so you don't have to toss it. Saying
they
never "fail" is a bit of a stretch though.

In the 15 years I have been overhauling ERGO, I have never seen a
rathet wear out, need a replacement. They are very gard steel and when
being pushed by the springs, never wear out.

Yeah, and I meant the springs.

I think ya know what I meant Mike, Fail and throw away vs fail and
repair...shimano could make these repairable but that would be contrary
to their philosophy of fail and replace/upgrade, which those who drink
the shimano koolaide are so in favor of.

I don't think it would be so easy to make the Shimano-style of STI as easily
rebuildable as the Campy. There's a lot more going on inside the lever. It
will be interesting to see how the SRAM stuff plays out. One can certainly
hope!

--Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

"Qui si parla Campagnolo" wrote in message
oups.com...

Mike Jacoubowsky wrote:
If you hold the big lever out, and then push the small does it click?
Common failure mode but like the others said, make sure inner wire and
housing is OK along with under BB guide. STI repair kit of flush and
flush again....then replace if no soap. Campag is the way to never have
failed shifters again,

[...]

ups.com...

Steven wrote:
I have 9 speed Shimano 105 shifters on my road bike. Recently it has
become harder to downshift,(PUSHING ON THE SMALL LEVER) to move the
chain to the smaller cogs. Today it wouldn't dowshift at all. The
upshift(larger lever) jusy moves along with the smaller. Is there a
repair I can do? Does anyone have a 105 or Ulterga 9 speed right side
ahift/brake lever for sale?

Thanks

If you hold the big lever out, and then push the small does it click?
Common failure mode but like the others said, make sure inner wire and
housing is OK' along with under BB guide. STI repair kit of flush and
flush again....then replace if no soap. Campag is the way to never have
failed shifters again, BTW-a 10s ERGO and RD will shift 9s shimano cogs
famously.

In a short time, 9s 105 shifters are gonna be hard to find since
shimano is 10s for those now.

Old April 18th 06, 05:55 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On 17 Apr 2006 05:29:15 -0700, "Qui si parla Campagnolo"
wrote:

I think ya know what I meant Mike, Fail and throw away vs fail and
repair...shimano could make these repairable but that would be contrary
to their philosophy of fail and replace/upgrade, which those who drink
the shimano koolaide are so in favor of.

And that's why Shimano is ten times as large as Campy -- every truly
successful business is into rampant consumerism. I don't particularly like
it, but it is unfortunately the current reality.

Jasper
Old April 18th 06, 06:54 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Jasper Janssen wrote:

And that's why Shimano is ten times as large as Campy -- every truly
successful business is into rampant consumerism. I don't particularly like
it, but it is unfortunately the current reality.

I hate to say it Jasper, but I used to have Campa on my bikes and changed to
Shimano, because when I went to the local Campa Service centre (or how do
they call it), they refused to repair my shifters. They told me he "if
we repair it, it will be as expensive as ordering a new set" "we have no
time to do this". So I ordered the parts myself, waited weeks before they
arrived (maybe the LBS wasn't too happy to order those) and rebuilt the
Ergo's myself.....

I understand service is better at other LBS and Campa service centres.

I'll have Campa again on my next bike, though, because I like the fact to be
able to repair every single part.

Gr, Derk

Old April 19th 06, 03:06 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Tue, 18 Apr 2006 19:54:08 +0200, Derk wrote:
Jasper Janssen wrote:

And that's why Shimano is ten times as large as Campy -- every truly
successful business is into rampant consumerism. I don't particularly like
it, but it is unfortunately the current reality.

I hate to say it Jasper, but I used to have Campa on my bikes and changed to
Shimano, because when I went to the local Campa Service centre (or how do
they call it), they refused to repair my shifters. They told me he "if
we repair it, it will be as expensive as ordering a new set" "we have no
time to do this". So I ordered the parts myself, waited weeks before they

Yeah, that attitude pervades society. More so now even than just 10 or 20
years ago, when if your toaster broke you took a screwdriver to it and
reconnected the wires... nowadays you just toss it. Well, most people do,
I'm poor enough and skilled enough that I try to repair whenever possible
-- money saved is money earned.

Jasper