7sp rear der on 9sp?

Old March 14th 06, 03:56 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default 7sp rear der on 9sp?

I am moving my dedicated trainer bike to 9sp...

shouldn't the 7sp rear der work ok with 9sp downtube shifters? the
cassette and shifters are new 9sp, the rear der is 105 7sp.

tia,

Old March 14th 06, 04:52 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

http://tinyurl.com/ew9gh

:-P

AFAIK, the cable pull will be a bit different. Any 8/9 spd Shimano
compatible rear mech would work fine.

Old March 14th 06, 04:58 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On 14 Mar 2006 07:56:19 -0800, "gregclimbs"
wrote:

I am moving my dedicated trainer bike to 9sp...

shouldn't the 7sp rear der work ok with 9sp downtube shifters? the
cassette and shifters are new 9sp, the rear der is 105 7sp.

The 105 ders are all SIS-compatible; it will work as long as the 9sp
shifter is also from Shimano.
--
Typoes are a feature, not a bug.
Old March 14th 06, 05:08 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

landotter wrote:
http://tinyurl.com/ew9gh

:-P

AFAIK, the cable pull will be a bit different.

No, it will not. For example, I am using a first generation, "six
speed" 105 RD on an 8 speed cluster with 8 speed bar ends.

Any 8/9 spd Shimano
compatible rear mech would work fine.

AFAIK, *any* Shimano SIS RD with the exception of the RD-7400/01/02
will work fine.

Old March 14th 06, 07:27 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

gregclimbs wrote:

I am moving my dedicated trainer bike to 9sp...

shouldn't the 7sp rear der work ok with 9sp downtube shifters? the
cassette and shifters are new 9sp, the rear der is 105 7sp.

It's fine (provided the 7sp mech is in good condition with no serious
slop in the pivots; 9sp is a bit fussy at the best of times).
Old March 14th 06, 07:34 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Ozark Bicycle wrote:
landotter wrote:
http://tinyurl.com/ew9gh

:-P

AFAIK, the cable pull will be a bit different.

No, it will not. For example, I am using a first generation, "six
speed" 105 RD on an 8 speed cluster with 8 speed bar ends.

No sh*t? I thought cable pull changed after the 6/7 speed era?
Coolsies, something good to know if I fix up another thrifter. I've
already figured out how to grind new hyperglide cassettes to fit an old
6spd freehub.

I rode 7 speed 105 with downtube friction front and indexing rear back
around 15 years ago, and I swear it was less tempermental than the new
kit.

Old March 14th 06, 07:51 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

landotter wrote:

I rode 7 speed 105 with downtube friction front and indexing rear back
around 15 years ago, and I swear it was less tempermental than the new
kit.

Yup, 9sp Shimano is temperamental. 10sp is supposed to be an improvement.
Old March 15th 06, 12:38 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

landotter wrote:
Ozark Bicycle wrote:
landotter wrote:
http://tinyurl.com/ew9gh

:-P

AFAIK, the cable pull will be a bit different.

No, it will not. For example, I am using a first generation, "six
speed" 105 RD on an 8 speed cluster with 8 speed bar ends.

No sh*t? I thought cable pull changed after the 6/7 speed era?
Coolsies, something good to know if I fix up another thrifter.

Yep, you can often get a near mint 6/7 speed SIS RD for literal peanuts
'cuz some folks think they're "obsolete".

I've
already figured out how to grind new hyperglide cassettes to fit an old
6spd freehub.

So you'll have a HG 6 SP cassette??

I rode 7 speed 105 with downtube friction front and indexing rear back
around 15 years ago, and I swear it was less tempermental than the new
kit.

Repeat after me: "STI is an improvement, STI is an improvement, STI is
an improvement".
Keep on saying it, eventually, you might believe it. ;-)

Old March 15th 06, 01:18 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Ozark Bicycle wrote:
landotter wrote:
I've
already figured out how to grind new hyperglide cassettes to fit an old
6spd freehub.

So you'll have a HG 6 SP cassette??

yes. Remember the early cassettes circa '87? They were Uniglide with
twisted teeth and the last cog scewed onto outside threading to serve
as a lock ring. The splining is the same except the modern cogs have
one large tooth as rotation when installing matters with the new ramped
cogs.

I redid an old Rockhopper a while back with those awesome old Deore
thumbies and a 6'er in back. Fresh Hyperglide cassette crafted from a
broken apart Sram, and new HG chain made that sucker shift like buttah.

You can get 7spd HG freewheels as well and improved the shifting of
even older bikes.

I rode 7 speed 105 with downtube friction front and indexing rear back
around 15 years ago, and I swear it was less tempermental than the new
kit.

Repeat after me: "STI is an improvement, STI is an improvement, STI is
an improvement".
Keep on saying it, eventually, you might believe it. ;-)

I've got a single speed with drop bars and campy ergo copy levers.

My new city ride, however, has those Shimano flat bar shifters. The
right one works just great, but indexing front? Blurgch.

Might have to put a friction thumbie on it, regardless of how it looks.

Old March 15th 06, 02:35 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

landotter wrote:
Ozark Bicycle wrote:
landotter wrote:
I've
already figured out how to grind new hyperglide cassettes to fit an old
6spd freehub.

So you'll have a HG 6 SP cassette??

yes. Remember the early cassettes circa '87? They were Uniglide with
twisted teeth and the last cog scewed onto outside threading to serve
as a lock ring. The splining is the same except the modern cogs have
one large tooth as rotation when installing matters with the new ramped
cogs.

Seems alot of trouble....unless you wanted to keep using your 6SP
shifters, I guess. Otherwise, swap out to an 8/9/10 SP cassette body
and go easy on yourself.

I redid an old Rockhopper a while back with those awesome old Deore
thumbies and a 6'er in back. Fresh Hyperglide cassette crafted from a
broken apart Sram, and new HG chain made that sucker shift like buttah.

Ah, so you wanted to find a way to keep using those Deore thumbies. Now
I get it.

You can get 7spd HG freewheels as well and improved the shifting of
even older bikes.

Yep, done that. But I still have a couple of DA (Uniglide) 7SP FWs, and
they shift awfully nicely, too.

I rode 7 speed 105 with downtube friction front and indexing rear back
around 15 years ago, and I swear it was less tempermental than the new
kit.

Repeat after me: "STI is an improvement, STI is an improvement, STI is
an improvement".
Keep on saying it, eventually, you might believe it. ;-)

I've got a single speed with drop bars and campy ergo copy levers.

My new city ride, however, has those Shimano flat bar shifters. The
right one works just great, but indexing front? Blurgch.

IMO, front indexing was/is one of the all time bad ideas. Getting
better, true, but still fraught with limitations in terms of FD and
chainring choice.

Might have to put a friction thumbie on it, regardless of how it looks.

Ritchey / Rolf rear hub recall Bill Henry Techniques 0 October 3rd 05 07:41 AM
Q: which rear racks would fit this rear geometry? C.J.Patten UK 3 June 20th 05 10:13 PM
NEW - Reynolds Alta Pro Rear Wheel $200 [email protected] Marketplace 0 June 4th 05 06:22 AM
New bicycle idea Bob Marley General 49 October 7th 04 05:20 AM
Rear disc brake on 2001 Klein Attitude? Rocketman Off Road 6 January 9th 04 10:18 PM