Chain Waxing Followup

Old April 10th 06, 03:32 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default Chain Waxing Followup

On 9 Apr 2006 20:56:27 -0700, "Ozark Bicycle"
wrote:

Mike Jacoubowsky wrote:
And have you experienced the allegedly common "shifting problems"?

There are a number of things that some might say "work" but don't work as
well as they could. If you don't know any better, does that make it fine?

Ah! The soft put down from the Trek dealer! This dog of yours won't
hunt. I don't "force feed" hot waxing to others, but I have done it
myself since 1990.

Here's my personal experience: I tried waxing solely in an attempt to
have a clean drive train. Unexpected benefits included longer cog,
chainring and chain life. Did shifting performance suffer? Never. My
bikes shift *at least* as well as any among the various groups I've
ridden with all those years.

What drivetrain are you using? Have you used this technique on 9 or
10 speed systems?

Jeff
Old April 10th 06, 10:22 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Jeff Starr wrote:

snipped

-on waxing chains and shifting performance-

Here's my personal experience: I tried waxing solely in an attempt to
have a clean drive train. Unexpected benefits included longer cog,
chainring and chain life. Did shifting performance suffer? Never. My
bikes shift *at least* as well as any among the various groups I've
ridden with all those years.

What drivetrain are you using? Have you used this technique on 9 or
10 speed systems?

On my bikes:

Bike A is 7SP Shimano, barend shifters w/ either a DA or Regina America
1992 FW, depending on terrain.

Bike B is 8SP Shimano, barend shifters w/HG cassette.

Bike C is Shimano "8 of 9" on a 7SP freehub, barend shifters.

So, personally, I've used waxed chains on 7, 8 and 9SP cog spacing. In
all cases, shifting performance was A-OK.

I have set up both Campy and Shimano bikes in 8/9/10SP with waxed
chains (at customer's request). Again, shifting was A-OK.

Old April 11th 06, 02:05 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Mon, 10 Apr 2006 00:55:25 GMT, Werehatrack
wrote:

On Sun, 09 Apr 2006 19:34:25 -0500, HarryB wrote:

I just rewaxed (with pure paraffin) my chain and post the following
observations:

1) I got about 900 (898 to be exact) miles between waxings this time
(I didn't keep detailed notes of my prior waxing frequency, but
guessed I got upwards of 700 miles between waxings.)

2) All miles were ridden on pavement and none in the rain.

3) During the last couple hundred miles or so I would get some
occasional squeaking during the last half of longer rides (40+ miles),
but would not hear any squeaking on rides that were shorter. I don't
know why.

HarryB
PS: I am uninterested in hearing about why hot waxing a chain doesn't
"work." I'm simply posting this as an FYI.

If you have the capability to measure chain wear easily, adding that
data would be very helpful.

Great idea! The present measurements are 24 1/16" for 24 links and
~50% on the maligned Park Tool CC-2 Chain Checker. The chain has 2,660
miles on it, with about 1,600 of those waxed.

HarryB
Old April 11th 06, 02:16 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Mon, 10 Apr 2006 01:08:46 GMT, "Mike Jacoubowsky"
wrote:

PS: I am uninterested in hearing about why hot waxing a chain doesn't
"work." I'm simply posting this as an FYI.

The issue with hot waxing a chain isn't about protecting the chain or
squeaking, but rather shifting performance.

I didn't know that someone had decided that the issue with hot waxing
is shifting performance. *My* issue with hot waxing is that it meets
my requirements better than other methods I've tried. I have not had
problems with shifting that I have attributed to hot waxing.

Of course, I recognize that I am a beginner compared to many who post
here (I've only ridden about 10,000 miles since I started bike riding
2 1/2 years ago). Maybe as I gain more experience I will become more
discriminating and discover disadvantages with the way I hot wax, but
for now it meets my requirements.

I can't tell you how many "hot
waxers" (which were especially prevalent in the 90s, for whatever reason)
would come in complaining their bikes weren't shifting well. We'd re-lube
the chain with more-conventional products, and voila, shifting problem gone.
This repeated itself far too many times to be any sort of random thing.

--Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

HarryB
Old April 11th 06, 02:23 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On 9 Apr 2006 19:58:38 -0700, "Ozark Bicycle"
wrote:

HarryB wrote:
I just rewaxed (with pure paraffin) my chain and post the following
observations:

1) I got about 900 (898 to be exact) miles between waxings this time
(I didn't keep detailed notes of my prior waxing frequency, but
guessed I got upwards of 700 miles between waxings.)

2) All miles were ridden on pavement and none in the rain.

3) During the last couple hundred miles or so I would get some
occasional squeaking during the last half of longer rides (40+ miles),
but would not hear any squeaking on rides that were shorter. I don't
know why.

HarryB
PS: I am uninterested in hearing about why hot waxing a chain doesn't
"work." I'm simply posting this as an FYI.

And have you experienced the allegedly common "shifting problems"?

No, I haven't.

HarryB