How to beat Chris Hoy?

Old August 17th 08, 12:37 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Uncle Dave

Default How to beat Chris Hoy?

Coming from a generation which would turn out to Herne Hill on a cold
(and/or) wet Good Friday to watch the latest Brit sprint hope get
stuffed by the Belgian third string, I find the success of the lottery-
funded world-beaters somewhat unsettling. One thing that worries me
is that sprinting has previously always been able to accommodate
different styles but watching the worlds and the Olympics it seems the
black arts are dying out and that a rider like Chris Hoy can win
simply by getting to the front and staying there.

Despite being a Brit and therefore wanting Hoy to win, I've found
myself pre-occupied with how to beat him! For me the Malaysian rider
is the one showing the true spirit and understanding of sprinting with
the Dutch the most likely to do the business. I think it would be a
bad precedent for sprinting if Hoy was to win the sprint without
having to actually do any sprinting! Is that likely or is somebody
going to be able to work him over which, let's face it, is extremely
unlikely in a two-up. I would have liked to see him take on Hubner -
that would have been interesting!

It just doesn't seem right that a rider can win one event by riding it
as though it was another, i.e. effectively riding a tt with company -
any ideas?

UD
Old August 17th 08, 01:46 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing

On Aug 17, 6:37*am, Uncle Dave wrote:
[...]

It's a bike race. If someone has an Ultimate Weapon, it's up to the
others to find a way to counteract it.
--D-y
Old August 17th 08, 02:46 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
RicodJour

On Aug 17, 7:37*am, Uncle Dave wrote:

Despite being a Brit and therefore wanting Hoy to win, I've found
myself pre-occupied with how to beat him!

I would think a cricket bat would do the trick, but make sure to
approach him from behind and get him on the first shot - if you don't,
you're dead. The fooker's huge.

Old August 17th 08, 05:17 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Lax

Theo Bos vs. Chris Hoy is 50-50.

Old August 17th 08, 06:16 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Ted van de Weteringe

Lax schreef:
Theo Bos vs. Chris Hoy is 50-50.

I'm afraid it will be Hoy - Bourgain. Perhaps Bos for the bronze, but
that's 50/50.
Old August 17th 08, 06:32 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
RicodJour

On Aug 17, 1:16*pm, Ted van de Weteringe
wrote:
Lax schreef:

Theo Bos vs. Chris Hoy is 50-50.

I'm afraid it will be Hoy - Bourgain. Perhaps Bos for the bronze, but
that's 50/50.

It's always 50-50. He'll either win or he won't.

Old August 17th 08, 08:02 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Stu Fleming

I finished ahead of Chris Hoy in a road race once. It was about 15
years ago though...
Old August 17th 08, 11:12 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Tom Kunich

"Stu Fleming" wrote in message
I finished ahead of Chris Hoy in a road race once. It was about 15 years
ago though...

Did you take his lollipop away afterwards?

Old August 18th 08, 07:27 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Howard Kveck

In article ,
Uncle Dave wrote:

[...]

Thinking about this: the sprints are qualified with a TT, so Hoy is not really
doing something all that out of the range for the event. I readily admit that after
the TT qualifier, everyone has changed to doing it in the expected way, i.e. doing a
short sprint. What Hoy is doing is extending the part of the event that he does best
by doing it far longer than everyone else. If they're already going blazingly fast,
then his competitors can't use their strengths (acceleration) against him. I wonder
if this is going to change the face of track sprinting as we know it from here on. It
may turn out that smaller guys who can accelerate from the start and hold a very high
speed for a lap and a half or so will be the ones who might dominate.

--
tanx,
Howard

The bloody pubs are bloody dull
The bloody clubs are bloody full
Of bloody girls and bloody guys
With bloody murder in their eyes

remove YOUR SHOES to reply, ok?
Old August 18th 08, 09:50 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Rik O'Shea

On Aug 17, 5:17 pm, Lax wrote:
Theo Bos vs. Chris Hoy is 50-50.

50-50? Now we know why you didn't get that job with paddy power!

C Hoy (Great Britain) 2 - 7
J Kenny (Great Britain) 11 - 2
K Sireau (France) 9 - 1
T Bos (Netherlands) 9 - 1
M Borgouin (France) 16 - 1
M Levy (Germany) 33 - 1
T Mulder (Netherlands) 66 - 1

By the way, Hoy can win from the back or from the front - he's just
too powerful (and fast). I think Jamie Staff (35 year old former pro-
BMX) who did the lead off in the Olympic sprint has a slightly faster
start from a dead stop but Hoy has everything and is unbeatable from
sprint to 1k. Its great to see how he took a somewhat pot-luck event
like the kieran by the scruff of the neck and showed how the best
athlete can win it.