Brompton Spec

Old August 6th 09, 07:03 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Marc[_2_]

Default Brompton Spec

I'm gettign close to ordering a Brompton

I think the spec i want is

M series

Black/ Yellow
Brookes Saddle
3 speed hub
Sorn Dynamo
Carrier and mudguards
Wheelies
Standard tyres

anyone got any comments. Does anyone here have a Brompton?
Old August 6th 09, 07:44 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Chris Gerhard

Marc wrote:
I'm gettign close to ordering a Brompton

I think the spec i want is

M series

Black/ Yellow
Brookes Saddle
3 speed hub
Sorn Dynamo
Carrier and mudguards
Wheelies
Standard tyres

anyone got any comments. Does anyone here have a Brompton?

Have you ridden each model. It is very personal but for me while the M
series would do the P series was much nicer to ride.

--chris
Old August 6th 09, 08:05 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Peter Grange

On Thu, 06 Aug 2009 19:03:56 +0100, Marc
wrote:

I'm gettign close to ordering a Brompton

I think the spec i want is

M series

Black/ Yellow
Brookes Saddle
3 speed hub
Sorn Dynamo
Carrier and mudguards
Wheelies
Standard tyres

anyone got any comments. Does anyone here have a Brompton?

I have a P type. I must admit I didn't try riding an M. Comments would
be:-
The dynamo is great.
I have the 6 speed model but only rarely change on to the higher
sprocket.
I broke the tail light, mounted on the rear rack, by banging it on the
ground flipping the tail under.
I've hardly ever use the rack, I banged my heels sometimes on whatever
I put on it. I did buy the rather expensive touring pannier for the
front, which is excellent, carried the laptop & stuff when I was
commuting.
The two commutes I used it on were home to station (2 miles) then
either Reading central to Green Park or Waterloo to City, each about 3
miles. Found it excellent for both. Never had a problem on the train.
Now retired, still find it excellent for nipping into the town for
shopping. The pannier carries enough for pretty much everything except
the main weekly food shopping.
HTH

--

Pete
Old August 6th 09, 08:16 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Just zis Guy, you know?[_2_]

On Thu, 06 Aug 2009 19:03:56 +0100, Marc
wrote:

Black/ Yellow
Brookes Saddle
3 speed hub
Sorn Dynamo
Carrier and mudguards
Wheelies
Standard tyres

Go for the Schwalbe Marathons, they are a bugger to fit but they are
the longest-lasting and most puncture-resistant Brom tyres out there,
I reckon.

Also check whether you need reduced gearing; I had 12% reduced on mine
and I am just considering going to 6% if I can get it now I only
really ride round London. Have you done a test ride? Were there
sufficient gears for you? I bought the L6 (now upgraded to T6 spec).

The SON is a great idea, BTW. See if you can get one of those IQ LED
front lamps to fit, I have not really tried yet. I have had two lamp
brackets fail and the lamp pop a couple of times as well.

anyone got any comments. Does anyone here have a Brompton?

Nobody here, surely?

Guy
--
http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk/urc | http://www.nohelmetlaw.org.uk/
"Nullius in Verba" - take no man's word for it.
Old August 6th 09, 10:20 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
chris French

In message , Peter Grange
writes
wrote:

I'm gettign close to ordering a Brompton

I think the spec i want is

M series

Black/ Yellow
Brookes Saddle
3 speed hub
Sorn Dynamo
Carrier and mudguards
Wheelies
Standard tyres

anyone got any comments. Does anyone here have a Brompton?

I have a P type. I must admit I didn't try riding an M. Comments would
be:-

I have one, but it's about 14 years old, so whilst the basics are the
same I guess, specs for gears, brakes etc. are different. Don't used it
very much now though.

Mine is a T5 IIRC, 5 speeds SA hub, rear rack. reduced gearing (I lived
in Yorkshire at the time)

I've hardly ever use the rack,

Yep, I hardly ever used mine either IIRC.

I did buy the rather expensive touring pannier for the
front, which is excellent, carried the laptop & stuff when I was
commuting.

Yup works well for carrying stuff.
--
Chris French

Old August 6th 09, 10:43 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Just zis Guy, you know?[_2_]

On Thu, 06 Aug 2009 20:05:09 +0100, Peter Grange
wrote:

I've hardly ever use the rack, I banged my heels sometimes on whatever
I put on it. I did buy the rather expensive touring pannier for the
front, which is excellent, carried the laptop & stuff when I was
commuting.

I have the Radical Design pannier which fits a laptop, pair of shoes,
trousers, shirt and food, plus pockets for the Crackberry and other
assorted paraphernalia. It's the best way to carry stuff on a Brom, I
reckon. I have the rack because I was sick to death of replacing rear
mudguards.

Guy
Old August 6th 09, 11:09 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Muskrat

"Just zis Guy, you know?" wrote in
:

Go for the Schwalbe Marathons, they are a bugger to fit but they are
the longest-lasting and most puncture-resistant Brom tyres out there,
I reckon.

I got rid of the Marathons on my M. They may be the most long lasting and
puncture resistant but the drag is horrendous! I now use the Stelvios.
Pure bliss!!!

--
Muskrat.

gyueiw502#sneakemailmoc.

To reply by e-mail:-

Replace:-
"#" with "@" and "moc." with ".com".
Old August 6th 09, 11:09 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Marc[_2_]

Muskrat wrote:
"Just zis Guy, you know?" wrote in
:

Go for the Schwalbe Marathons, they are a bugger to fit but they are
the longest-lasting and most puncture-resistant Brom tyres out there,
I reckon.

I got rid of the Marathons on my M. They may be the most long lasting and
puncture resistant but the drag is horrendous! I now use the Stelvios.
Pure bliss!!!

Are either reflective?
Old August 7th 09, 06:44 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Just zis Guy, you know?[_2_]

On Thu, 06 Aug 2009 23:09:50 +0100, Marc
wrote:

I got rid of the Marathons on my M. They may be the most long lasting and
puncture resistant but the drag is horrendous! I now use the Stelvios.
Pure bliss!!!

Are either reflective?

Marathons are. I used Stelvios on my commuting bike for a couple of
years, they lasted about 1500 miles and punctured frequently.

Guy
Old August 7th 09, 12:23 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Tom Crispin

wrote:

I'm gettign close to ordering a Brompton

I think the spec i want is

M series

Black/ Yellow
Brookes Saddle
3 speed hub
Sorn Dynamo
Carrier and mudguards
Wheelies
Standard tyres

anyone got any comments. Does anyone here have a Brompton?

I have a P type. I must admit I didn't try riding an M. Comments would
be:-

I have an M type, similar spec. - my comments below Peter's.

The dynamo is great.

Agreed.

I have the 6 speed model but only rarely change on to the higher
sprocket.

I often change sproket: I live near the Thames and the haul up from
the River to the Blackheath Plateau is steep.

I broke the tail light, mounted on the rear rack, by banging it on the
ground flipping the tail under.

The front bulb blew once. People often tell me that I have left the
rear light on (the dynamo charge lasts for ages).

I've hardly ever use the rack, I banged my heels sometimes on whatever
I put on it. I did buy the rather expensive touring pannier for the
front, which is excellent, carried the laptop & stuff when I was
commuting.

Agreed - used the rack once. I have a huge trailer that I can haul
behing my Brompton, I can flip the rear wheel with the trailer
attached.

I have attached a Brooks Black Glenbrook saddlebag to my saddle and
seatpost. The fold still works and the saddle bag has a great
additional capacity, 10 - 15 litres at a guess. The bag doesn't catch
the back of my thigh as I pedal. At £70, the saddlebag is expensive.

The two commutes I used it on were home to station (2 miles) then
either Reading central to Green Park or Waterloo to City, each about 3
miles. Found it excellent for both. Never had a problem on the train.

The longest ride I've done has been about 8 miles along a canal tow
path. It was uncomfortable for a ride of that length - I got the
train home. It is superb for distances of 2 or 3 miles.

I find is far less stable to ride than my main two bikes, and I have
never felt comfortable signaling on a steep descent.

Now retired, still find it excellent for nipping into the town for
shopping. The pannier carries enough for pretty much everything except
the main weekly food shopping.
HTH

cool spec John Forrest Tomlinson Techniques 2 December 19th 06 04:46 PM
Help me spec out my new bike! Dave Mayer Techniques 6 January 30th 06 05:23 AM
What spec + type of trials uni? CallumUK Unicycling 11 September 17th 05 07:16 PM
'06 bike spec. Steve Australia 3 May 26th 05 05:25 AM
Pedal Torque Spec. Paul Kopit Techniques 22 March 4th 05 04:19 AM