deliberate hit and run

Old September 1st 09, 06:22 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
raamman

Default deliberate hit and run

no matter how hard try to walk away before it gets this bad

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/...rticle1271351/
Old September 1st 09, 03:25 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Snippy de Bobkins

"recycled" wrote in message

I read this and the article is unclear. Did the vehicle drag the cyclist
until he hit a mail box or was the cyclist holding on to prevent the 'run'
part of the hit and run? I can certianly understand a cyclist who wanted
to prevent a car driving away in this sitauation but self preservation
should come first.

Turns out the driver is a former Attorney General of Ontario.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/...rticle1271489/

And he

http://www.vancouversun.com/news/Ont...586/story.html

Old September 1st 09, 03:47 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
raamman

On Sep 1, 10:25*am, "Snippy de Bobkins"
wrote:
"recycled" wrote in message

I read this and the article is unclear. Did the vehicle drag the cyclist
until he hit a mail box or was the cyclist holding on to prevent the 'run'
part of the hit and run? I can certianly understand a cyclist who wanted
to prevent a car driving away in this sitauation but self preservation
should come first.

Turns out the driver is a former Attorney General of Ontario.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/...rmer-ontario-a...

And he

http://www.vancouversun.com/news/Ont...al+police+cust...

there is a clearer idea of the picture

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/ottawa/stor...-death481.html

it's pretty bad. I'll bet he walks with a suspended sentence courtesey
of a Clayton Ruby or other big name high priced lawyer. No way does he
serve any time for this act of murder.

Old September 1st 09, 06:55 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
recycled[_4_]

wrote:
"recycled" wrote in message

[...]

Here is a link to some witness interviews. It sounds like the cyclist
initially was trying to prevent the car from leaving the scene but the
driver was... I dunno... bat**** insane? I've heard of road rage and
understand heated words on both sides but this driver seemed literally
homicidal.

http://toronto.ctv.ca/servlet/an/loc...01?hub=Toronto

Old September 2nd 09, 02:23 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Snippy de Bobkins

wrote:
"recycled" wrote in message

[...]

Michael Bryant was charged Tuesday with criminal negligence causing death
and dangerous operation of a motor vehicle causing death... Darcy Allan
Sheppard, a bike courier, died in hospital Monday night... Bryant’s role as
a former Ontario attorney general and a three-time elected member of
provincial parliament led to an intense level of attention on Toronto’s 23rd
traffic fatality of 2009.
http://www.vancouversun.com/news/For...019/story.html

Snippy

Old September 2nd 09, 04:26 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
raamman

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/ottawa/stor...o-cyclist-coll...

http://toronto.ctv.ca/servlet/an/loc.../fatal_collisi...

Michael Bryant was charged Tuesday with criminal negligence causing death
and dangerous operation of a motor vehicle causing death... Darcy Allan
Sheppard, a bike courier, died in hospital Monday night... Bryant’s role as
a former Ontario attorney general and a three-time elected member of
provincial parliament led to an intense level of attention on Toronto’s 23rd
traffic fatality of 2009.http://www.vancouversun.com/news/For...+after+crash+l...

Snippy- Hide quoted text -

he'll plead guilty, recieve a suspended sentence and go back to his
high-life making big bucks; but everytime he has to sign for a package
he's going to look at the courier gazing back at him and wonder if his
guilt is showing
Old September 7th 09, 03:55 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
recycled[_4_]

Default deliberate hit and run Now: Post Bryant Ride.

I've been resting for a bit, letting my knees heal for a few weeks and so
have done no riding except commute and utility until yesterday.

Nothing extreme but I wanted to do a 92 km loop around Guelph:

http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=3165765

It was the first ride since the Sheppard/Bryant incident in Toronto. was it
just me or did their seem to be a greater awareness between cyclist and
motorists? A certian alertness to each other's presence? At one point, just
because, I signalled a left turn on a deserted stretch of highway with sight
lines to the horizon with nary a car in sight. At another point on a single
lane each way highway a car actually slowed and waited for the oncoming
traffic to clear before overtaking me and giving me a wide berth.

Or maybe it's all in my head....

Old September 7th 09, 04:48 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Neil Brooks

On Sep 7, 8:55*am, "recycled" wrote:
I've been resting for a bit, letting my knees heal for a few weeks and so
have done no riding except commute and utility until yesterday.

*Nothing extreme but I wanted to do a 92 km loop around Guelph:

http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=3165765

*It was the first ride since the Sheppard/Bryant incident in Toronto. was it
just me or did their seem to be a greater awareness between cyclist and
motorists? A certian alertness to each other's presence? At one point, just
because, I signalled a left turn on a deserted stretch of highway with sight
lines to the horizon with nary a car in sight. At another point on a single
lane each way highway a car actually slowed and waited for the oncoming
traffic to clear before overtaking me and giving me a wide berth.

*Or maybe it's all in my head....

Either way ... it's a good thing.