Shimano crank cinch bolt help needed

Old July 15th 10, 03:35 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
damyth

Default Shimano crank cinch bolt help needed

I have a Shimano R700 crankset that's been giving me problems. I've
found if I back out and retighten the cinch bolts, the creaks would
stop. But they return about 3-4 days later.

The spline interface and the bolts thread are greased. When I back
out the bolts, they are tight (IOW they didn't loosen in an obvious
way). To the best of my knowledge the female threads for the pinch
bolts are not stripped.

I haven't tried thread-lock yet. The crank is out of warranty (it's
been more than 2 years since I bought the cranks). Is using thread-
lock likely to solve the problem?
Old July 15th 10, 06:51 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Hank

On Jul 15, 7:35*am, damyth wrote:
I have a Shimano R700 crankset that's been giving me problems. *I've
found if I back out and retighten the cinch bolts, the creaks would
stop. *But they return about 3-4 days later.

The spline interface and the bolts thread are greased. *When I back
out the bolts, they are tight (IOW they didn't loosen in an obvious
way). *To the best of my knowledge the female threads for the pinch
bolts are not stripped.

I haven't tried thread-lock yet. *The crank is out of warranty (it's
been more than 2 years since I bought the cranks). *Is using thread-
lock likely to solve the problem?

Try using white-out or a sharpie line on the bolt and crankarm to see
whether the bolt's loosening. If it is, then use the loctite. If it's
not, it sounds like the interface is deforming or the threads are
stripping.
Old July 15th 10, 09:53 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
raamman

On Jul 15, 10:35*am, damyth wrote:
I have a Shimano R700 crankset that's been giving me problems. *I've
found if I back out and retighten the cinch bolts, the creaks would
stop. *But they return about 3-4 days later.

The spline interface and the bolts thread are greased. *When I back
out the bolts, they are tight (IOW they didn't loosen in an obvious
way). *To the best of my knowledge the female threads for the pinch
bolts are not stripped.

I haven't tried thread-lock yet. *The crank is out of warranty (it's
been more than 2 years since I bought the cranks). *Is using thread-
lock likely to solve the problem?

clean the spline interface of the grease; clean it completely-the
grease is a thin layer between the two parts- but it gets squeezed
out, then you have no layer between and a slightly loose fit- this
play is what is causing your creaking, and it will get worse. the
cinch bolt should be ok with a bit of grease to prevent galling/
corrision- it won't likely back out if there is no play with the
crank. Locitite can be helpful, but usually it is masking a problem
that is better solved without it
Old July 16th 10, 01:43 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
damyth

On Jul 15, 1:53*pm, raamman wrote:
[...]

I want to make sure I understand. When assembled, should the splined
interface be greased or not?