dropping the right way

Old January 31st 06, 04:01 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling

Default dropping the right way

I`ve been doing some trials unicycling for a couple of months now and my
drops are growing to four/five feet. I`d really like to know if there`s
a right way of doing high drops so the uni can suffer less as
possibble. also, does anyone know how high the qu-ax splined can drop
from?

--
francisco
francisco's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11493

Old January 31st 06, 04:12 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling

Take it easy, don't drop only to get a higher "personal best", it's only
stupid and will hurt you as well as your unicycle..

To spare your uni, drop seat out, land with bent legs and take the fall
softly, roll out if possible, land with a little more force on the
front pedal, and you will roll a bit..

--
lleberg

I 3 my unicycle!
lleberg's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/8272

Old January 31st 06, 04:53 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling

lleberg wrote:
To spare your uni, drop seat out, land with bent legs and take the fall
softly, roll out if possible, land with a little more force on the
front pedal, and you will roll a bit..

This is pretty much the bulk of what I use for trials riding. Good
advice!

--
TrialsUni
TrialsUni's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/7986

Old January 31st 06, 04:57 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling

lleberg wrote:
To spare your uni, drop seat out, land with bent legs and take the fall
softly, roll out if possible, land with a little more force on the
front pedal, and you will roll a bit..

Dropping seat out has a lot of advantages. Not the least being that it
saves some of your softer tissue from harm too It also allows a lot
of 'flow' in your trials lines, doing everything seat out. The Qu-ax
can take lots of abuse, I've still managed to make the rim all oval due
to abuse. Got a nice 48 spoke Alexrim now though. (Many thanks again to
municycle.com).

Edit:

I completly agree with the "don't drop just for the drop" bit, the drop
for me has to be a functional part of a trials line, or an ending to a
trials line.

--
Erant

Live free, prosper, and under my rule.
Erant's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/9986

Old January 31st 06, 04:59 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling

I disagree, dropping seat in is easier on you and your unicycle.

--
TheObieOne3226

'SWAT Gallery' (http://gallery.unicyclist.com/SWAT)
'SWAT webpage' (singlewheeledattackteam.1hwy.com)
'Arrow Racing' (http://www.arrowracing.com/)
'Sixsixone' (http://www.sixsixone.com)

\"obie is definately a trend setter, i got in to unicycling because of
him, and came here because of him\" - kj-52

\"try not to annoy the great obie, for he is better than us.\" - murde
mental

*disclaimer: the above message was not intended to offend anyone. if
you are offended i can take no responsibility for my actions because i
don't feel like it. also you are reading an internet newsgroup where
not everyone will share your same views and beliefs, be able to take
criticism and post/read threads at your own risk.*

Old January 31st 06, 05:08 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling

TheObieOne3226 wrote:
I disagree, dropping seat in is easier on you and your unicycle.

You do not land on your saddle, that would hurt, when seat in, you
can't bend your legs as much.
That means the force will be applied over shorter period of time,
meaning more tourqe the hub and cranksarms need to handle.

Old January 31st 06, 05:55 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling

TheObieOne3226 wrote:
I disagree, dropping seat in is easier on you and your unicycle.

Seat out is definitally easier on you, you can bend your legs really
low, instead of having to bend over your upper body. (Especially for
me, I have a history of back problems). I'd also say it's easier on
your unicycle, but I can't verify this ofcourse. My instincts say you
can spread the impact out MUCH more.

Old January 31st 06, 06:04 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling

The Obie One obviously said it for a reason. He doesnt seem like the
chap that would not say it for a reason. But why he is keepin us
waiting i will never no (unless he tells me)

Mike

--
swarbrim

add me at
swarbrim's Profile:
http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11005

Old January 31st 06, 08:54 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling

I know i´m not the greatest dropper who can drop like 4 metres, but I
havn´t broken a single pedal, crank,rim or hub yet.

I do my drops like this:

I´m standing seat out on the edge of the obstacle that I want to drop
from.
I crouch down as much as possible, roll my wheel out from the obstacle,
and when in mid-air I extend my body to the fullest. At the exact
moment when my wheel touches the ground, I start to crouch down again.
If this is done smooth and properly you apply very little stress on
your equipment.

Sorry for my sucky english. I hope it´s understandable.

--
fexnix

'*My fresh gallery*'
(http://gallery.unicyclist.com/Fexnix-album)
*I Got Infinite Skillz*
fexnix's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/7381

Old January 31st 06, 10:03 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling

Okay.

One time I was trying to do a drop off a platform, it was at least 5
1/2 feet high, I'm thinkin 6, I suck at guessing distances. The landing
was completly flat, and a very hard packed dirt road. I tried it seat
in, and only banged my nuts. I'd read somewere that seat out dropping
helps on bigger drops, so I tried that. I did waht Fexnix explains
above, and as soon as I hit the ground the uni stopped, but my body
kept going. My hand couldn't grip the seat hard enough and it just
slipped as I got driven straight into the ground. Tried it 3 more
times, same thing happened with me ending up on my stomach on top of
the uni.

I evuantually landed it couple times both seat in and seat out. For me,
higher drops are easier to roll out of seat in, esp. if I jump out
farther away from the obstacle. But I like to use seat-out for smaller
drops, to feather my unicycle better.

(this is on a qu-axtrials)

--
forrestunifreak

I do not believe in computer programers.
'My gallery'
(http://www.unicyclist.com/gallery/?g..._itemId=155664)

"If I am ever that good I will be in a constant state of crapping my
pants." ~ koebwil