Does a trike put me on a collision course with traffic?

Old April 9th 08, 05:48 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,alt.planning.urban,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides,uk.rec.cycling
Tom Sherman[_2_]

Default Buying an SUV traps you in the rat race!

Pat aka Pollyanna wrote:
On Apr 8, 4:15 pm, ComandanteBanana wrote:
[...]
And the whole world is NOT the boondocks, and the whole world is NOT
America. Actually your lifestyle is at odds with a dwindling oil
supplies and world peace. Bicycle IS the future; SUVs are the past,
dinosaurs refusing to evolve.

Actually, that last sentence is the whole difference between us. I
think that people will continue to innovate and discover alternative
to oil. I don't think humanity is just going to sit there and not do
anything. We already have bio-diesel and plastic made from corn.
Eventually, oil will fade into history like buggy whips and whale oil.
[...]

That is the funniest thing I have read in a long time.

95-100% of the hominids will die within the next couple of centuries as
the hydrocarbon society collapses.

Old April 9th 08, 02:09 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,alt.planning.urban,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides,uk.rec.cycling
ComandanteBanana

On Apr 8, 9:30*pm, Pat wrote:
On Apr 8, 4:15*pm, ComandanteBanana wrote:

On Apr 8, 2:37*pm, Pat wrote:

"You don't need to be a top rat. You know true satisfaction comes from
the slow enjoyment of life."

http://www.zazzle.com/rat_race_shirt-235774404554314913

Why do you persist to be such an egocentric and arrogant snot. *The
whole world does live like you do, doesn't want to live like you do,
and won't ever live like you do. *Just because a bike is good for you,
it doesn't mean it's good for everyone. *You live in some hell-hole
city that you like, but lots and lots of people don't. *It's a big
world out there. *Look up and realize that the whole world isn't
paved. *The whole would is urban. *The whole world is bikable. *The
whole world isn't compact. *I drove 500 miles to a meeting and back,
yesterday. *You'd still be on your bike.

Geez. *Wake up and realize that you're not the only person on the
planet and that you don't have "the best" lifestyle.- Hide quoted text -

And the whole world is NOT the boondocks, and the whole world is NOT
America. Actually your lifestyle is at odds with a dwindling oil
supplies and world peace. Bicycle IS the future; SUVs are the past,
dinosaurs refusing to evolve.

Actually, that last sentence is the whole difference between us. *I
think that people will continue to innovate and discover alternative
to oil. *I don't think humanity is just going to sit there and not do
anything. *We already have bio-diesel and plastic made from corn.
Eventually, oil will fade into history like buggy whips and whale oil.

Actually the difference is that you keep polluting like there's no
tomorrow, and hope that someone, somewhere, somehow will stop that
nonsense, while I've decided to make a difference MYSELF, HERE AND
NOW.

And biking is not the only option...

"While many Americans have no choice but to drive to work because of a
lack of public transport options, some find they can moderate their
gas expenses by sharing rides.

Sales of gas-guzzling SUVs are plunging as consumers shift to smaller
more fuel-efficient cars. There's also growing evidence that more
people are turning to public transport to avoid buying gas. The
American Public Transportation Association says Americans took 10.3
billion trips on public buses and trains last year, the highest level
in 50 years and a 2.1 percent increase from 2006."

http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/080319/gas_p...pf=family-home

Old April 9th 08, 02:42 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,alt.planning.urban,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides,uk.rec.cycling
Pat

On Apr 9, 12:48*am, Tom Sherman
wrote:
Pat aka Pollyanna wrote:
On Apr 8, 4:15 pm, ComandanteBanana wrote:
[...]
And the whole world is NOT the boondocks, and the whole world is NOT
America. Actually your lifestyle is at odds with a dwindling oil
supplies and world peace. Bicycle IS the future; SUVs are the past,
dinosaurs refusing to evolve.

Actually, that last sentence is the whole difference between us. *I
think that people will continue to innovate and discover alternative
to oil. *I don't think humanity is just going to sit there and not do
anything. *We already have bio-diesel and plastic made from corn.
Eventually, oil will fade into history like buggy whips and whale oil.
[...]

That is the funniest thing I have read in a long time.

95-100% of the hominids will die within the next couple of centuries as
the hydrocarbon society collapses.

I'd guess that it's more likely that 99% of hominids will die within
the next 100 years. But fortunately, hundreds of millions of others
will be born. They'll grow up, have families, live comfortably and
retire to watch their grandkids carry on the tradition. Funny how
that's consistantly happened since the beginning of mankind. In fact,
there's never really been a period when big people didn't keep
producing little people and the little people didn't keep growing up
into big people.

Life evolves. Firewood isn't a main heating source any more. We
don't use whale oil for much. There's little hydro used for power
mills where 8-year-olds work. Life changes. Energy changes. In 1808
or 1908 it would have been impossible to predict how much power we
would be using now or how it was being generated. The same is true
for 2108. It's just impossible to predict. The only certainty is
that we will carry on carrying on.

BTW, the glass is half full.

Old April 9th 08, 09:38 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,alt.planning.urban,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides,uk.rec.cycling
ComandanteBanana

On Apr 9, 9:42*am, Pat wrote:
On Apr 9, 12:48*am, Tom Sherman

95-100% of the hominids will die within the next couple of centuries as
the hydrocarbon society collapses.

I'd guess that it's more likely that 99% of hominids will die within
the next 100 years. *But fortunately, hundreds of millions of others
will be born. *They'll grow up, have families, live comfortably and
retire to watch their grandkids carry on the tradition. *Funny how
that's consistantly happened since the beginning of mankind. *In fact,
there's never really been a period when big people didn't keep
producing little people and the little people didn't keep growing up
into big people.

That's a comfortable dream that's likely to be interrupted by a
terrible nightmare. Sometimes you can almost predict disaster, like
you did in Europe in 1938... Moreover, now we have the capability to
wipe out humanity in a nuclear war in a few days, or produce
irreparable damage to the environment in a few years.

Life evolves. *Firewood isn't a main heating source any more. *We
don't use whale oil for much. *There's little hydro used for power
mills where 8-year-olds work. *Life changes. *Energy changes. *In 1808
or 1908 it would have been impossible to predict how much power we
would be using now or how it was being generated. *The same is true
for 2108. *It's just impossible to predict. *The only certainty is
that we will carry on carrying on.

BTW, the glass is half full.

There's no certainty that we will carry on. The glass is half empty,
but we can fix that if we want.

Too many nuclear weapons, too much pollution, and the monkeys are
going crazy...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a15KgyXBX24
Old April 10th 08, 02:10 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,alt.planning.urban,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides,uk.rec.cycling
Tom Sherman[_2_]

Pat aka Pollyanna wrote:
On Apr 9, 12:48 am, Tom Sherman
wrote:
Pat aka Pollyanna wrote:
[...]

That what the dinosaurs said. Now we only have their small, feathered
cousins with us.

Life evolves. Firewood isn't a main heating source any more. We
don't use whale oil for much. There's little hydro used for power
mills where 8-year-olds work. Life changes. Energy changes. In 1808
or 1908 it would have been impossible to predict how much power we
would be using now or how it was being generated. The same is true
for 2108. It's just impossible to predict. The only certainty is
that we will carry on carrying on.

The only certainty is that we will outgrow our resources, since we put
selfish individual wants in front of societies needs.

BTW, the glass is half full.

Must have been a pretty strong drink to cause such delusions on only
half a glass worth of consumption.

Old April 10th 08, 03:29 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,alt.planning.urban,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides,uk.rec.cycling
Pat

On Apr 9, 4:38*pm, ComandanteBanana wrote:
On Apr 9, 9:42*am, Pat wrote:

On Apr 9, 12:48*am, Tom Sherman
[...]

You and EnoughAlready must be a hoot at parties. You are the most
pessimistic people I can image. Please stay in your cities and live
your freakish lives so that us, up in the sticks, can enjoy are
serenity.
Old April 10th 08, 03:32 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,alt.planning.urban,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides,uk.rec.cycling
Pat

On Apr 9, 9:10*pm, Tom Sherman
wrote:
Pat aka Pollyanna wrote:
On Apr 9, 12:48 am, Tom Sherman
wrote:
Pat aka Pollyanna wrote:
[...]

They've been saying that since the dawn of time. It just won't
happen. Things will change. They always do. Things will become more
efficient. New energy will come to the forefront.

Are we still hunting whales for the oil? No. Things change. Look
ahead, not backwards, cuz that's where the future is.

BTW, the glass is half full.

Must have been a pretty strong drink to cause such delusions on only
half a glass worth of consumption.

The weather is here, wish you were beautiful- Hide quoted text -

Old April 10th 08, 04:44 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,alt.planning.urban,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides,uk.rec.cycling
Tom Sherman[_2_]

Pat, in a fit of delusional optimism, wrote:
On Apr 9, 9:10 pm, Tom Sherman
wrote:
Pat aka Pollyanna wrote:
On Apr 9, 12:48 am, Tom Sherman
wrote:
Pat aka Pollyanna wrote:
[...]

Yeah, and Santa Claus is bringing me a new bicycle that coasts uphill
and into headwinds. Get a grip on reality.

Old April 10th 08, 02:18 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,alt.planning.urban,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides,uk.rec.cycling
ComandanteBanana

On Apr 9, 10:29*pm, Pat wrote:
On Apr 9, 4:38*pm, ComandanteBanana wrote:

On Apr 9, 9:42*am, Pat wrote:

On Apr 9, 12:48*am, Tom Sherman
[...]

serenity.- Hide quoted text -

I'm not a pessimist; I'm a realist. I believe in CAUSE AND EFFECT. You
put so much s!@# into the environment, and that's what you get. You
invade countries to capitalize on their oil, and that will come back
to hunt you.

Otherwise, I have the last frontier, probably less polluted than your
sticks... The Ocean. It's big enough that I can get on a kayak, head
one mile out there, and see what the stupid monkeys are doing on land.

Not even the sharks are that hungry and stupid.
Old April 11th 08, 03:13 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,alt.planning.urban,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides,uk.rec.cycling
Pat

On Apr 9, 11:44*pm, Tom Sherman
wrote:
Pat, in a fit of delusional optimism, wrote:

On Apr 9, 9:10 pm, Tom Sherman
wrote:
Pat aka Pollyanna wrote:
On Apr 9, 12:48 am, Tom Sherman
wrote:
Pat aka Pollyanna wrote:
[...]

How can you deny that change is inevitable, constant and
unpredictable?

I see you turn up your whale oil lamp to write this on parchment after
grinding your own ink for your eagle-feather pen.

Even the Amish and Mennonites have progress. Otherwise, go live in a
museum somewhere.

Does a trike put me on a collision course with traffic? ComandanteBanana Social Issues 272 April 17th 08 06:22 PM
Does a trike put me on a collision course with traffic? ComandanteBanana General 241 April 15th 08 01:22 PM
Traffic Citations & Traffic Cops Freddie Mountain Biking 0 March 23rd 06 05:02 AM
My first collision Alan J. Wylie UK 26 April 15th 05 07:44 AM
In collision with... Just zis Guy, you know? UK 22 August 3rd 03 05:08 PM