Which External BB Tool

Old October 15th 08, 05:42 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
David White[_2_]

Default Which External BB Tool

I am new to external BB and a friend has asked that I install a new FSA
BB and compact crank on his bike. So I am looking for a tool. I see two
types: one is a socket-driven cup like this
http://cgi.ebay.com/Park-BBT-19-Bottom-Bracket-Tool-External-BB-Tool_W0QQitemZ360097425999QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item 360097425999&_trkparms=39%3A1%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A10%7 C240%3A1318&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14
and the other is more like a traditional wrench like this
http://cgi.ebay.com/PARK-TOOL-BBT-9-EXTERNAL-BOTTOM-BRACKET-TOOL-NEW_W0QQitemZ320295603121QQcmdZViewItem?_trksid=p3 286.m20.l1116.

The socket-driven one seems like it will permit use of a breaker bar or
torque wrench (not that I have ever torqued a BB before). While the more
traditional wrench looks like it may stay on the cup better as the lever
arm will not be offset to the outside (which seems to me will encourage
the tool to slip off the cup under torque) but has a smaller lever arm.

I really only want to buy one tool (really don't want either). So your
comments are appreciated.
Old October 15th 08, 07:12 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Banned

On Oct 15, 10:42*am, David White wrote:
I am new to external BB and a friend has asked that I install a new FSA
BB and compact crank on his bike. So I am looking for a tool. I see two
types: one is a socket-driven cup like this
http://cgi.ebay.com/Park-BBT-19-Bottom-Bracket-Tool-External-BB-Tool_...
and the other is more like a traditional wrench like this
http://cgi.ebay.com/PARK-TOOL-BBT-9-EXTERNAL-BOTTOM-BRACKET-TOOL-NEW_....

The socket-driven one seems like it will permit use of a breaker bar or
torque wrench (not that I have ever torqued a BB before). While the more
traditional wrench looks like it may stay on the cup better as the lever
arm will not be offset to the outside (which seems to me will encourage
the tool to slip off the cup under torque) but has a smaller lever arm.

I really only want to buy one tool (really don't want either). So your
comments are appreciated.

I use one like BBT-9 tool. Actually this 'un

http://www.bbbparts.com/products/acc...ols/btl27.html
Old October 15th 08, 07:32 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
pm

On Oct 15, 9:42*am, David White wrote:
I am new to external BB and a friend has asked that I install a new FSA
BB and compact crank on his bike. So I am looking for a tool. I see two
types: one is a socket-driven cup like this
http://cgi.ebay.com/Park-BBT-19-Bottom-Bracket-Tool-External-BB-Tool_...
and the other is more like a traditional wrench like this
http://cgi.ebay.com/PARK-TOOL-BBT-9-EXTERNAL-BOTTOM-BRACKET-TOOL-NEW_....

The socket-driven one seems like it will permit use of a breaker bar or
torque wrench (not that I have ever torqued a BB before). While the more
traditional wrench looks like it may stay on the cup better as the lever
arm will not be offset to the outside (which seems to me will encourage
the tool to slip off the cup under torque) but has a smaller lever arm.

I really only want to buy one tool (really don't want either). So your
comments are appreciated.

I'm happy with a socket type tool. After having some cranks installed
by the LBS who I saw used no grease and no torque wrench, then
discovering them loosening and ruined, I don't mess around with things
around the bottom bracket area, and follow the installation
instructions to the letter. They give a torque value, I use the torque
wrench. It seems to be more critical for external BB interfaces.

Note that a breaker bar can angle more than 90 degrees, which puts the
lever arm back in line with the cup so that it doesn't rotate off.

-pm
Old October 15th 08, 09:07 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tosspot[_2_]

David White wrote:
[...]

My vote goes with the socket driven cup because you cam use a
Msomething bolt with a few washers to hold it onto the BB(assuming the
BB is threaded of course[1]), then it *wont* slip and you can use
whatever lever you think will work and have to hand. I use this method
to remove traditional BBs, works a treat.

[1] If it isn't then I'm sure a G-clamp or similar will hold it. Mind
you, I've no experience with these external ones, but I know the
puncture fairies weld the traditional ones in place during the night shifts.
Old October 15th 08, 09:15 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
David White[_2_]

Qui si parla Campagnolo wrote:
[...]

Thanks Peter,

Never knew of these folks before. Where can one purchase these?
Old October 15th 08, 09:18 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
David White[_2_]

Tosspot wrote:
David White wrote:
[...]

I do this with square taper BB all the time and it works great. Of
course, doesn't the bolt go through the square hole where the socket
snaps on? One is then forced to use the hex fitting (if there is one).

External-bearing BBs? Joao de Souza Techniques 58 June 11th 08 05:11 AM
Raceface external bearings. Garry Lee Techniques 0 April 21st 08 08:35 AM
External bearings Sandy Techniques 47 August 14th 07 06:05 PM
External BB bearings... Jamie Techniques 6 April 13th 06 06:57 PM
FS: Park Tool Brake Third Hand Tool, $5 shipped Rob Barnes Marketplace 1 June 11th 04 03:11 AM