FIR Apollo rims -- asking for opinion

Old March 28th 06, 11:09 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default FIR Apollo rims -- asking for opinion

hello,

I can't find any opinion about these rims. They are deep section 30mm
aero rims, FIR as a company doesn't exist anymore.

I would appreciate your opinion about those rims: are they strong/rigid?
what is their approximate weight? can they be compared to modern aero
rims -- if so, what model?

thanks,
geos
Old March 28th 06, 11:57 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

In article ,
geos wrote:

hello,

I can't find any opinion about these rims. They are deep section 30mm
aero rims, FIR as a company doesn't exist anymore.

I would appreciate your opinion about those rims: are they strong/rigid?
what is their approximate weight? can they be compared to modern aero
rims -- if so, what model?

Which rims?

--
Michael Press
Old March 29th 06, 12:17 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Mike Krueger wrote:
geos wrote:
hello,

I can't find any opinion about these rims. They are deep section 30mm
aero rims, FIR as a company doesn't exist anymore.

I would appreciate your opinion about those rims: are they strong/rigid?
what is their approximate weight? can they be compared to modern aero
rims -- if so, what model?

Over the years, I have owned wheels built with FiR Isidis and ST120
tubular rims. In terms of quaity and durability, they were average.
I'd be surprised if they were out of business. They still have a
website, and Red Rose Imports is still listed as their USA importer.
Their current FiR 30mm aero clincher rim is called the SRG 30. You can
read more about it and their other products he
http://www.fircerchi.com/Dati/products.html

ops, my mistake. I thought about Fiamme when asking about FIR. thanks
for correcting me, and the information about the SRG30.

geos
Old March 29th 06, 12:18 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Michael Press wrote:
In article ,
geos wrote:

hello,

I can't find any opinion about these rims. They are deep section 30mm
aero rims, FIR as a company doesn't exist anymore.

I would appreciate your opinion about those rims: are they strong/rigid?
what is their approximate weight? can they be compared to modern aero
rims -- if so, what model?

Which rims?

sorry, I didn't mention their name in my post: FIR Apollo rims

thanks,
geos
Old March 29th 06, 03:36 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

I just listed my set on ebay. I bought mine back in 1996, handbuilt
with Campy hubs by my LBS wheelbuilder. I personally hate the aero
profile, on the Fir, because for me, they are a real pain to change
tires, like the last few inches of getting the tire on, you really have
to manhandle them for some reason to put the tire on while I have no
trobule changing a tire on a non-aero Mavic rim...maybe aero rims and
me just dont get along :-)...anyway my LBS at the time sold them onto
me because, hey, I was getting a nice Italian bike and wanted to outfit
it with all Italian stuff, but I don't race so I don't kow how fast
they are..they are nice but I guess for my use, I didnt really need
them...all I can say for the few hundred miles I rode them, they held
up great. I switched to non-aero Mavic pre-built wheels. If I had to
custom order a wheel again, I would had liked to tried a non-aero Fir
rim but I don't see much of Fir anymore(just some NOS, new old stock,
rims on ebay), they probably got hammered by the Mavic invasion with
their pre-built boutique wheels, hence why I went for a Mavic.