Opinions on Rolf Dolomites for big boys

Old March 10th 05, 01:08 AM
Gwood

Default Opinions on Rolf Dolomites for big boys

Folks, I have my 2002 Rolf Dolomite non-disc wheelset up for sale and had a
call from a guy who wants to check them out.

He says he is a mellow XC rider, but weighs in at 260#. He asked if there
were any weight concerns about the wheels. I told him frankly that I
thought he'd be better off with a wheelset designed for beefier guys. I'm
160# and a mellow rider, so I've never challenged them...Bottom line, my
asking price is killer and he still seems keen.

I've read different opinions on this type of wheelset; some folks feel the
reduced number of paired spokes are only for light duty, others say the
extra tension on the rim is better for weight distribution. I've had enough
bad experiences with bike gear that I wouldn't want to sell them to this guy
if there was a high % chance they would fail on him.

Anybody know anything definitive about these wheels and bigger riders? If
it matters, I beleive them to be in very good shape, wear-wise.

Tnx
Gary

Old March 10th 05, 04:10 PM
Phil, Squid-in-Training

Gwood wrote:
[...]

If he says mild, that is a good indication that he sits a lot. Sitters put
lots of stress on MTB wheels. Discourage him if you can.

If I were you, I would just want the money. If he really really wants it
and you've told him it's probably not a good idea, and he still wants it,
caveat emptor and send it over to him.
--
Phil, Squid-in-Training

Old March 10th 05, 07:19 PM
JD

Tell your pal that quality handbuilt is the only way to fly for his
size. Have him contact for what he needs.

JD

Old March 10th 05, 07:44 PM
Gwood

Thanks all,

I get the impression that
A) he's starting out and not very savvy about bike components, and
B) he has a very limited budget

I'll suggest the handbuilt route, but if his budget is my price range, he
wouldn't even get a front. I'd certainly hate to see him going to GI Joes
to buy with the same $.

Gary

"Quality, durability, price... pick any two".

oups.com...

Old March 11th 05, 03:34 PM
Dave W

"JD" wrote in message
oups.com...

Snip-SPAM

you're a freaking riot.....

Old March 11th 05, 04:50 PM

Folks, I have my 2002 Rolf Dolomite non-disc wheelset up for sale and
had a
call from a guy who wants to check them out.

He says he is a mellow XC rider, but weighs in at 260#.

I'm 200lbs (during the summer) riding 36spoke handbuilts. I'm
old-fashioned, but I wouldn't ride Dolomites off road. The image of
having a wheel taco in the middle of a granite babyhead-studded
downhill because I wanted to shave a few ouces would give me
nightmares. But if somebody wanted to buy them from me, I'd try and
find out if they came with a posted weight-limit.
I gave mtbr a look. "After being very pleased with their speed on my
first several rides I have come to realize that these wheels are made
for Ethiopians. There is absolutely no rigidity in these wheels. I am a
250lb weight lifter that rides daily. I can routinely flex the wheels
enough upon turning that I can put the rim on the brake pad. I have
broken two spokes, one while riding on a smoothly paved road on the way
home. I have given up on these wheels as last week I sucked the whole
rear rim flat in one section when I hit a rock coming around a sharp
corner. These wheels do not hold up when a larger person is riding them
hard. I am not a fan of the twenty spoke design at all. The only good
news is that I have never had a problem with the hubs. They have never
needed repair."

/s

Old March 11th 05, 05:10 PM
JD

Gwood wrote:
"JD" wrote in message
oups.com...
Tell your pal that quality handbuilt is the only way to fly for his
size. Have him contact angrywheels @ hotmail . com for what he

needs.

JD

Thanks all,

I get the impression that
A) he's starting out and not very savvy about bike components, and
B) he has a very limited budget

I'll suggest the handbuilt route, but if his budget is my price

range, he
wouldn't even get a front. I'd certainly hate to see him going to GI

Joes
to buy with the same $.

Gary

If he buys right the first time, then he will not have to buy over and
over, which usually ends up costing a lot more. If he saves his moolaw
and buys the right wheels, it'll pay off monetarily and ride tme
because of downtime for trashed wheels.

JD

Old March 11th 05, 07:46 PM
Phil, Squid-in-Training

[...]

That's funny, because the hubs are the parts that go bad the most. They're
poorly sealed, sucking in water, air, salt water, hydrochloric acid, etc. on
wet rides.

The claim that they hit the brake pads might be an indication that the fork
is flexy, not of the wheel rigidity.
--
Phil, Squid-in-Training