2005 Tour de France: First 3 stages

Old August 1st 04, 11:20 PM
Isidor Gunsberg

Default 2005 Tour de France: First 3 stages

It looks like the Tour organizers have already decided upon the first
3 stages for next year's (2005) Tour de France. It will start on the
Atlantic coast town of Fromentine, and cross the bridge over to the
island of Noirmoutier (Noirmoutier-en-L'Ile). It will be a 19
Kilometer length Prologue.

It seems to be a cute etape, especially when you consider that the
cyclist will be riding into the breeze coming off from the ocean.

Interestingly, they haven't quite decided where and when the 3rd
stage will end...

http://www.letour.fr/2005/presentationus/parcours.html

http://www.letour.fr/2005/presentationus/index.html

Thursday 30th June
Opening of the Tour Headquarters in Challans.

Friday 1st July
Opening of the Tour Headquarters and Official Team Presentation in
Challans.

Saturday 2nd July
1st stage: 19 km individual time-trial.
Fromentine Île de Noirmoutier.

Sunday 3rd July
2nd stage: 185 km.
Challans Les Essarts.

Monday 4th July
3rd stage: start from La Châtaigneraie.
Twice in recent past, the Tour de France has chosen Vendée in the west
of France for its opening line-up. On both occasions, top-flight
cycling was to keep a date with history, heritage and memories of
yesteryear, warmly hosted by the Puy du Fou site.

This was last century, in 1993 and 1999. But the events are, of
course, still fresh in our memories.

In 1993, Miguel Indurain was at the peak of his power and fame, and
his victory in the prologue was to herald his firm grip on the race
and his crowning achievement three weeks later on the Champs-Élysées.
That year, as one, Tour riders and Cinescénie actors were to put on a
superb show in a cool, pleasant night of emotion and joy which is
still engraved in many a memory.

Six years later, as shock waves from the Festina affair were
subsiding, a start was made on the process of rebuilding a sporting
ethic, as outlined by Jean-Claude Killy, President of Amaury Sport
Organisation, Hein Verbruggen, President of the International Cycling
Union and, of course, our host Philippe de Villiers, President of the
Vendée County Council. Words were spoken in earnest, but the spirit
was confident for the 99 Tour which was to see the emergence,
confirmed in later Tours, of the core figure of Lance Armstrong.

Six years will again have gone by when, on July 2, 3 and 4 2005, the
Tour de France and Vendée will once more be jointly involved. Why, how
and where?

Doubtless because, at source, lies the undeniable enthusiasm for
cycling shown by elected representatives, the economic sector and the
sporting world. We may even speak of a mutual affection on the part of
the Tour de France management team who values as second to none the
commitment and involvement of those captivating regions of France
which it visits in turn.

For this edition, there will be a novel, seaboard backcloth since,
from our Challans homebase, our first time trial stage will be fought
out on the island of Noirmoutier, a première for the Tour! Then, onto
the land of Vendée hedgerows for the second stage and the line-up for
the third.

In the land of Varnajo, Berland, Bernaudeau and all the former
champions, in a region which is a hive of dynamism, teeming with the
community spirit that is the lifeblood of sport, we know that we can
rely on all the inhabitants of Vendée, be they seaboard or inland, to
be once more motivated for and proud to be involved in the Tour de
France Curtain-Raiser.

As organisers, we view this as a promising "hat-trick" edition. Our
teams know each other well now and, we too are spurred on by
innovation. En route then for a third success which we shall be
preparing together.
Old August 1st 04, 11:26 PM
Callistus Valerius

My predictions:

1. Ivan Basso
2. Jan Ullrich
3. Tugboat Jr (carried on Tyler's bike, in a handlebar basket)

Old August 1st 04, 11:39 PM
William Jones

That's actually the first stage, as it's too long to be a prologue. I
forgot the actual distinction, but Lance said one year that he didn't wear
the yellow jersey in stage 1 (it was not a prologue that year either)
because of that reason - itt was an actual stage and he wanted to earn it.
I seem to remember something about 10k or less being a prologue, but I'm not
sure about that.

William Jones

om...

Old August 1st 04, 11:50 PM
Ewoud Dronkert

On Sun, 01 Aug 2004 22:26:29 GMT, Callistus Valerius wrote:
1. Ivan Basso
2. Jan Ullrich

No, no, how can that be? They both need someone in front of them to go
fast. I don't know who to name "the ultimate follower". I think it has
to be Basso.
Old August 2nd 04, 05:49 AM
Robert Chung

Isidor Gunsberg wrote:
It looks like the Tour organizers have already decided upon the first
3 stages for next year's (2005) Tour de France. It will start on the
Atlantic coast town of Fromentine, and cross the bridge over to the
island of Noirmoutier (Noirmoutier-en-L'Ile). It will be a 19
Kilometer length Prologue [sic].

[snip]

Twice in recent past, the Tour de France has chosen Vendée in the west
of France for its opening line-up. On both occasions, top-flight
cycling was to keep a date with history, heritage and memories of
yesteryear, warmly hosted by the Puy du Fou site.

This was last century, in 1993 and 1999. But the events are, of
course, still fresh in our memories.

Especially 1999, when the course took a right hand turn at Noirmoutier to
cross the Passage du Gois.

Old August 2nd 04, 02:26 PM
Alexander Lackner

"Ewoud Dronkert" schrieb im Newsbeitrag

I don't know who to name "the ultimate follower". I think it has
to be Basso.

remember Alvaro Mejia? he was a tough sucker (Indurain's wheel).

Old August 2nd 04, 06:27 PM
Chris

"Isidor Gunsberg" wrote in message
om...
It looks like the Tour organizers have already decided upon the first
3 stages for next year's (2005) Tour de France. It will start on the
Atlantic coast town of Fromentine, and cross the bridge over to the
island of Noirmoutier (Noirmoutier-en-L'Ile). It will be a 19
Kilometer length Prologue.

I believe then it will be a stage 1 rather than a prolog (because of the
length). This will mean that it will count as a day raced. In the article
you quoted, it describes the stage as "the first time trial". Many will
consider it a prolog but it will be an ITT for the first stage.

It seems to be a cute etape, especially when you consider that the
cyclist will be riding into the breeze coming off from the ocean.

Interestingly, they haven't quite decided where and when the 3rd
stage will end...

Everything will be settled by October. Negotiations sometimes begin years
prior and the final details about start, finish etc. really are the last
thing to be settled unless the Tour has been there before and even then
sometimes it is not settled until a short time before the public
presentation of the course.

Old August 2nd 04, 06:29 PM
Chris

"Ewoud Dronkert" wrote in message
On Sun, 01 Aug 2004 22:26:29 GMT, Callistus Valerius wrote:
1. Ivan Basso
2. Jan Ullrich

No, no, how can that be? They both need someone in front of them to go
fast. I don't know who to name "the ultimate follower". I think it has
to be Basso.

That is not fair. He is the ultimate follower at this point but from the
moment the Tour ended his challenge is now to find ways to take time out of
rivals rather than just being the best at not losing it. It is amazing that
he did not lose any time on the road this year to any of the top finishers.

Old August 2nd 04, 08:12 PM
gym gravity

Chris wrote:

I believe then it will be a stage 1 rather than a prolog (because of the
length). This will mean that it will count as a day raced. In the article
you quoted, it describes the stage as "the first time trial". Many will
consider it a prolog but it will be an ITT for the first stage.

Does this mean there will be three rest days? What's the rule for # of
rest days?
Old August 2nd 04, 11:05 PM
Dan Connelly

gym gravity wrote:
Chris wrote:

I believe then it will be a stage 1 rather than a prolog (because of the
length). This will mean that it will count as a day raced. In the
article
you quoted, it describes the stage as "the first time trial". Many will
consider it a prolog but it will be an ITT for the first stage.

Does this mean there will be three rest days? What's the rule for # of
rest days?

The rule is at least two rest days. There will likely be 21 stages.

Dan