Help learning to use clip-in shoes

Old November 2nd 03, 04:27 AM
Zelda

Default Help learning to use clip-in shoes

I bought a good road bike last year, and yesterday I decided I was
finally ready to get rid of the old pedals, and get shoes and pedals
that clip in. I had the bike shop install Shimano SPD pedals, and they
put my bike in a trainer to let me practice clipping the shoes in and
out. That was fine. Today, I tried and failed to actually ride my
bike. I fell twice, hard, without getting out of my driveway. The
second time, I hit my head on the concrete (yes I was wearing my
helmet).

Could someone please give me some good suggestions to get past this
learning curve without breaking any bones? Any web pages with good
instructions? I looked on Sheldon Brown's pages, but didn't see
anything specifically about this.

Thanks for any help.

Zelda
Old November 2nd 03, 05:28 AM
Bartow W. Riggs

Twist your heel to the outside. Away from the frame. Practice it in your
abode with out moving. If you clip in and out 10 times before you ride you
should not have any problem.

You might want to loosen your pedals to the max or almost. There should be
a a place for an allen wrench on the front of each pedal (both sides if
double entry) to allow you to adjust pedal tension. Probably best if you
turned it to "minus" until you get used to twisting to get unclipped.

The pedals are worth it, you just have to ingrain that you don't slide your
foot "off the back" any longer.

Bart
om...

Old November 2nd 03, 05:36 AM
Michael

Practice in the grass. Clip in and try to keep your balance.
As you fall to one side, unclip and keep yourself from falling.
If you fall, at least you fall in the grass. Keep at it. After a while, you
develop muscle memory, and clipping out becomes second
nature.

Another good thing to practice in the grass: hopping to keep the
bike upright. It's useful sometimes at stoplights, and in case there's
a wreck in front of you when the sprinters drive for the finish line.

Good luck.

Michael

"Bartow W. Riggs" wrote in message
Twist your heel to the outside. Away from the frame. Practice it in your
abode with out moving. If you clip in and out 10 times before you ride

you
should not have any problem.

You might want to loosen your pedals to the max or almost. There should

be
a a place for an allen wrench on the front of each pedal (both sides if
double entry) to allow you to adjust pedal tension. Probably best if you
turned it to "minus" until you get used to twisting to get unclipped.

The pedals are worth it, you just have to ingrain that you don't slide

your
foot "off the back" any longer.

Bart
om...

Old November 2nd 03, 06:34 AM
Tom Keats

In article ,
(Zelda) writes:
I bought a good road bike last year, and yesterday I decided I was
finally ready to get rid of the old pedals, and get shoes and pedals
that clip in. I had the bike shop install Shimano SPD pedals, and they
put my bike in a trainer to let me practice clipping the shoes in and
out. That was fine. Today, I tried and failed to actually ride my
bike. I fell twice, hard, without getting out of my driveway. The
second time, I hit my head on the concrete (yes I was wearing my
helmet).

Could someone please give me some good suggestions to get past this
learning curve without breaking any bones? Any web pages with good
instructions? I looked on Sheldon Brown's pages, but didn't see
anything specifically about this.

Thanks for any help.

The trick is to not look down when clicking in. Mixing up
"feel" info with visual info just clashes. And not seeing
where one is going can cause a little panicky flusteration.

Also, once the first foot is engaged, try clicking into the
free pedal (without looking down) when the engaged pedal is
at the 9 o'clock position. In other words, with the cranks
parallel to the ground, and the attached foot able to apply
power. That way, if you miss on the first attempt, you can
still one-legged pedal around back to the 9 o'clock position
and try again.

cheers,
Tom

--
-- Powered by FreeBSD
Above address is just a spam midden.
Old November 2nd 03, 07:00 AM
Mike Jacoubowsky

I bought a good road bike last year, and yesterday I decided I was
finally ready to get rid of the old pedals, and get shoes and pedals
that clip in. I had the bike shop install Shimano SPD pedals, and they
put my bike in a trainer to let me practice clipping the shoes in and
out. That was fine. Today, I tried and failed to actually ride my
bike. I fell twice, hard, without getting out of my driveway. The
second time, I hit my head on the concrete (yes I was wearing my
helmet).

First off, I don't like introducing people to clipless pedals on a
trainer... it's so far removed from the real world, that the lessons learned
about getting into and out of them simply aren't all that relevant. Best
way I've found (and helped several people with today at the shop)-

#1: Make sure the tension adjustment screws on the pedals are set as low as
possible. Don't back them entirely out though, as they're impossible to get
back in if removed!

#2: Stand over the bike, without sitting on the saddle (stand over the top
tube). Engage one of the brakes (so the bike doesn't move around), rotate
the pedal you want to get into so it's at about a 7 o'clock position, and,
feeling for the front of the cleat engage with the pedal, push *forward*
until you hear it snap into place. Disengage by twisting your ankle
outward. Repeat several times until this feels relatively natural.

#2b: Try the same things with the other pedal, getting used to what it
takes to get into and out of it. More than anything, you're getting
familiar with the location of the cleat on the bottom of the shoe.

#3: Now it's time to practice while riding. Get one shoe into the pedal
and start off. Don't try getting the other one in too soon! Get up a
little bit of speed so you're stable... it's no big deal pedaling along for
a bit with one foot not engaged. Once you're up to speed, try getting the
other foot into the pedal when it's at that same 7 o'clock position as
before. Don't let it frustrate you if engagement is difficult! Take your
time, maybe stop and practice getting that particular foot in while stopped.

#4: Remember you MUST unclip one of your feet well before you come to a
stop. If you're still clipped in, and you have no forward momentum, you're
going down. As mentioned previously, it's not difficult pedaling while
unclipped for a bit, so plan ahead of time. No last-second stuff and you'll
likely avoid falling.

I suspect the clue to your problems was that you couldn't even get out of
your driveway without falling. You're trying to do too much too fast. Take
things one step at a time and I'll bet it will be easy!

--Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
http://www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

om...

Old November 2nd 03, 08:27 AM
peter

"Zelda" wrote in message
om...
cut.........
Could someone please give me some good suggestions to get past this
learning curve without breaking any bones? Any web pages with good
instructions?

cut............

It won't add anything to the good advice already given but:
http://www.fastload.net/03/one/pages/index.html "Falling not Fainting"
near the bottom of this page may encourage you by showing your not alone. I
perservered and now ride with clipless all the time without problems
peter

Old November 2nd 03, 08:41 AM
cheg

I started using SPD pedals (Shimano M-515) recently and for me the
key is to concentrate on keeping the bike moving. You can ride
without clipping in, but you can't clip both feet in without having
the bike underway or you will fall. Also, I have the right clips as
loose as possible, just one or two clicks from the end of the screw
stroke, to make it easy to release the foot I always put down. I
haven't had an accidental release yet. After a while, you will get
used to sliding your foot forward to clip and twisting sideways to
release, but meantime concentrate on keeping the wheels turning. If
you start to feel wobbly, just pedal and forget about clipping until
you have enough momentum to coast and work on clipping in. Try it in
an open area like an empty parking lot or running track so you can go
without a lot of steering. Don't start out going uphill, stick to
flats until you get some confidence.

BTW: you did not say what model your pedals are. In general you're
better off starting with pedals that clip on more than one side.

Old November 2nd 03, 09:35 AM
Doug Purdy

gy.com...
#3: Now it's time to practice while riding. Get one shoe into the pedal
and start off. Don't try getting the other one in too soon! Get up a
little bit of speed so you're stable... it's no big deal pedaling along

for
a bit with one foot not engaged. Once you're up to speed, try getting the
other foot into the pedal when it's at that same 7 o'clock position as
before. Don't let it frustrate you if engagement is difficult! Take your
time, maybe stop and practice getting that particular foot in while

stopped.

Yes, it's possible to ride carefully without being clipped in at all. Get
going, then clip. Don't stand before you're clipped.

#4: Remember you MUST unclip one of your feet well before you come to a
stop. If you're still clipped in, and you have no forward momentum,

you're
going down. As mentioned previously, it's not difficult pedaling while
unclipped for a bit, so plan ahead of time. No last-second stuff and

you'll
likely avoid falling.

We can't always plan on the mistakes of others and SPDs are reluctant to let
go unless you're at the bottom of the stroke - 5 to 7 o'clock position. So
get used to rotating backward fast to get the foot down and twisting the
ankle to release.

But if they gave you the beginner cleats you should also be able to get out
by yanking backward hard in a panic just before you fall.

If the bolts holding the SPD cleats to the shoe come loose it can be very
problematic to get out so you may want to check them for tightness with the
allen key every once in a while.

When you do fall while stopped, see yourself rolling. put your knee out a
bit to start the roll, crouch down closer to the bike and you roll right
over to the other side without being hurt. Um, keep your fingers away from
the sides or ends of the bars where they can get whacked.

Doug

Old November 2nd 03, 12:13 PM
Hugh Fenton

"Zelda" wrote in message
om...
I bought a good road bike last year, and yesterday I decided I was
finally ready to get rid of the old pedals, and get shoes and pedals
that clip in. I had the bike shop install Shimano SPD pedals, and they
put my bike in a trainer to let me practice clipping the shoes in and
out. That was fine. Today, I tried and failed to actually ride my
bike. I fell twice, hard, without getting out of my driveway. The
second time, I hit my head on the concrete (yes I was wearing my
helmet).

Could someone please give me some good suggestions to get past this
learning curve without breaking any bones? Any web pages with good
instructions? I looked on Sheldon Brown's pages, but didn't see
anything specifically about this.

Thanks for any help.

Zelda

Hey,
nothing on Sheldon's pages!!!!!!! Is this a first?????????
Hugh

Old November 2nd 03, 01:40 PM
Arthur Harris

"Zelda" wrote:
I bought a good road bike last year, and yesterday I decided I was
finally ready to get rid of the old pedals, and get shoes and pedals
that clip in. I had the bike shop install Shimano SPD pedals, and they
put my bike in a trainer to let me practice clipping the shoes in and
out. That was fine. Today, I tried and failed to actually ride my
bike. I fell twice, hard, without getting out of my driveway. The
second time, I hit my head on the concrete (yes I was wearing my
helmet).

Your post caught my eye I because I just installed SPDs on my wife's bike
last week. So far, she has only ridden them on the trainer, but we may get
out on the road today.

Were your falls caused by difficulty clipping in? or out? Since you were
still on your driveway, it sounds like you weren't yet clipped in.

A couple of suggestions:

-Set the release tension low.

-Have the bike in a low enough gear that you can accelerate quickly.

-Clip in one foot, move that foot to the 12 O'Clock position, push down on
the pedal, and get the bike moving fast enough be stable. (If necessary, use
the other foot [unclipped] as well for a turn or two until the bike is
moving fast enough.)

-Learn to clip in the second foot without weaving or taking your eyes off
the road. (practice on a trainer or a quiet street)

-Once clipped in, be prepared to unclip as you approach intersections,
traffic lights, etc. Unclip one foot *before* you come to a stop. This will
become second nature. You might want to shift down a gear or two as you slow
for a stop to make starting up again easier.

-Don't pull up when trying to unclip. Twist your foot outward and slightly
downward.

-Check the tightness of the cleat bolts after the first couple of rides. If
they loosen, you won't be able to unclip.

-Consider switching to dual release cleats; these will allow you to unclip
easier.

It's really not as hard as it sounds. As with learning to ride a bike,
practice makes perfect.

Good luck,
Art Harris